It just exploded into a million pieces! - SCO

This is a discussion on It just exploded into a million pieces! - SCO ; I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive. I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces. Is there ...

  1. It just exploded into a million pieces!

    I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup
    server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive.

    I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces.

    Is there anywhere I can get an ISO image of this SCO 5.0.6 CD so that
    I can burn a replacement?

  2. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On 26 Feb, 00:34, Darmbrust wrote:
    > I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup
    > server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive.
    >
    > I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces.
    >
    > Is there anywhere I can get an ISO image of this SCO 5.0.6 CD so that
    > I can burn a replacement?

    Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

  3. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Feb 26, 3:43*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 Feb, 00:34, Darmbrust wrote:
    >
    > > I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup
    > > server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive.

    > > I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces.

    > > Is there anywhere I can get an ISO image of this SCO 5.0.6 CD so that
    > > I can burn a replacement?

    > Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

    That would be great!

    My address is:
    IAS
    PO Box 51178
    Sarasota, FL 34232

    I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    me before!

    Thanks

  4. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    In article <19ef1eb2-00c8-4f23-922a-883535a46551@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
    Darmbrust wrote:
    >On Feb 26, 3:43=A0am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> On 26 Feb, 00:34, Darmbrust wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup
    >> > server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive.

    >> > I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces.

    >> > Is there anywhere I can get an ISO image of this SCO 5.0.6 CD so that
    >> > I can burn a replacement?

    >> Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

    >That would be great!
    >
    >My address is:
    >IAS
    >PO Box 51178
    >Sarasota, FL 34232
    >
    >I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    >me before!
    >
    >Thanks

    Exploding CDs have been known to happen. Particulary in high speed
    players where a disk is damaged. Dropping a CD/DVD can put a small
    invisible crack in the disk and that caused the problem.

    I've heard of this happening a few times - particularly when
    the 56x CD players were introduced.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >In article <19ef1eb2-00c8-4f23-922a-883535a46551@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
    >Darmbrust wrote:

    >>> Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

    >>That would be great!
    >>
    >>My address is:
    >>IAS
    >>PO Box 51178
    >>Sarasota, FL 34232
    >>
    >>I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    >>me before!
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Exploding CDs have been known to happen. Particulary in high speed
    >players where a disk is damaged. Dropping a CD/DVD can put a small
    >invisible crack in the disk and that caused the problem.
    >
    >I've heard of this happening a few times - particularly when
    >the 56x CD players were introduced.

    My concern would be the damage to the CD drive when the CD came apart.

    Bill

    Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
    is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
    make messes in the house.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  6. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    > Exploding CDs have been known to happen. *Particulary in high speed
    > players where a disk is damaged. *Dropping a CD/DVD can put a small
    > invisible crack in the disk and that caused the problem.
    >
    > I've heard of this happening a few times - particularly when
    > the 56x CD players were introduced.

    I doublt that the disk has ever been dropped or damaged. My guess is
    that it was just old and perhaps the plastic has become brittle with
    age.

    I have always thought that CDs were a great and inexpensive way to
    archive stuff but if they disintegrate with age I may need to rethink
    that! Of course even a bunch of copies may be worthless if they all
    explode when you go to read them 10 years later!

    The drive is pretty much toast as well. Millions of tiny pieces of
    the CD are now in the drive. Even if you could remove them all it
    quite possible that the exploding CD damaged the drive as well.

    I really do need to find a replacement SCO 5.0.6 disk. If anyone can
    mail me one I will be happy to reimburse you and put you on the top of
    my "good guy" list.

  7. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On 26 Feb, 14:33, Darmbrust wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 3:43*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > On 26 Feb, 00:34, Darmbrust wrote:

    > > > I was in the process of reloading an SCO 5.0.6 system on a backup
    > > > server and the SCO 5.0.6 installation CD exploded in the drive.

    > > > I opened up the drive and the cd was reduced to little pieces.

    > > > Is there anywhere I can get an ISO image of this SCO 5.0.6 CD so that
    > > > I can burn a replacement?

    > > Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

    > That would be great!
    >
    > My address is:
    > IAS
    > PO Box 51178
    > Sarasota, FL 34232
    >
    > I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    > me before!
    >
    > Thanks

    I'll try to send one today. Now, if you've got some old 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
    *license* or two you can sell off cheap, I've got a use for them to
    set up a virtual system while some old systems stay active. It turns
    out that VMware Workstation works quite well for virtualized 5.0.6, as
    long as you use the IDE drive configurations and don't mess with SCSI
    in the installation process.

  8. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On 26 Feb, 16:51, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > >In article <19ef1eb2-00c8-4f23-922a-883535a46...@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups..com>,
    > >Darmbrust * wrote:

    > >>That would be great!

    > >>My address is:
    > >>IAS
    > >>PO Box 51178
    > >>Sarasota, FL 34232

    > >>I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    > >>me before!

    > >>Thanks

    > >Exploding CDs have been known to happen. *Particulary in high speed
    > >players where a disk is damaged. *Dropping a CD/DVD can put a small
    > >invisible crack in the disk and that caused the problem.

    > >I've heard of this happening a few times - particularly when
    > >the 56x CD players were introduced.

    > My concern would be the damage to the CD drive when the CD came apart.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: * b...@celestial.com *Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/*PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > FAX: * * * * * *(206) 232-9186 *Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. *At best he
    > is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
    > make messes in the house.
    > * * -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"- Hide quoted text -

    Yeah, I'd strongly consider replacing that for any server grade
    machine. As wonderful as CD's are, mechanical damage to them from mis-
    handling and degradation ov their laminated surfaces from age,
    especially in cheap CD-R's, makes them less robust for long-term
    storage than many people realize.

  9. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >On 26 Feb, 14:33, Darmbrust wrote:

    >> > Ouch. Where are you? Maybe one of us could simply mail you one?

    >> That would be great!
    >>
    >> My address is:
    >> IAS
    >> PO Box 51178
    >> Sarasota, FL 34232
    >>
    >> I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    >> me before!
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >I'll try to send one today. Now, if you've got some old 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
    >*license* or two you can sell off cheap, I've got a use for them to
    >set up a virtual system while some old systems stay active. It turns
    >out that VMware Workstation works quite well for virtualized 5.0.6, as
    >long as you use the IDE drive configurations and don't mess with SCSI
    >in the installation process.

    I have ISO images of sco506j.iso, sco506j_supplement.iso, and one with 506
    updates which could be used to burn new CDs (useless of course without
    licenses).

    I have been doing major digging through my file cabinets here since the
    floor in my office is being replaced as all my shop area. I have found
    several unused user license packages for Open Server <= 5.0.6a.

    Bill

    When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is
    not far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space
    travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere. -- Robert Heinlein

  10. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On 27 Feb, 17:32, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > >> That would be great!

    > >> My address is:
    > >> IAS
    > >> PO Box 51178
    > >> Sarasota, FL 34232

    > >> I have never even heard of a CD exploding, let along have it happen to
    > >> me before!

    > >> Thanks

    > >I'll try to send one today. Now, if you've got some old 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
    > >*license* or two you can sell off cheap, I've got a use for them to
    > >set up a virtual system while some old systems stay active. It turns
    > >out that VMware Workstation works quite well for virtualized 5.0.6, as
    > >long as you use the IDE drive configurations and don't mess with SCSI
    > >in the installation process.

    > I have ISO images of sco506j.iso, sco506j_supplement.iso, and one with 506
    > updates which could be used to burn new CDs (useless of course without
    > licenses).
    >
    > I have been doing major digging through my file cabinets here since the
    > floor in my office is being replaced as all my shop area. *I have found
    > several unused user license packages for Open Server <= 5.0.6a.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: * b...@celestial.com *Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/*PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > FAX: * * * * * *(206) 232-9186 *Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is
    > not far away. *It is time to go elsewhere. *The best thing about space
    > travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere. *-- Robert Heinlein-Hide quoted text -

    I haven't forgotten you, I've got a cleanly burned CD in my hands. But
    the UK "Post Offices" close damned early, and I can't use work mail
    for this.

  11. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    I was able to burn a CD from a image I received from Bill who is
    certainly at the top of by good guy list. Thanks Bill.

    I was not able to copy a customer's disk remotely. I did a dd if=/dev/
    rcd0 of=/tmp/sco5.0.6.iso but when I used this image to burn a CD
    under windows it would not boot. When I used Bill's image and windows
    to burn the CD it worked great. Not sure why my attempt did not
    work. Anyone have any ideas? Is dd not the way to create a bootable
    ISO image?

    Dave

  12. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    >I was able to burn a CD from a image I received from Bill who is
    > certainly at the top of by good guy list. Thanks Bill.

    Next time someone is nice enough to copy something for you that might not _technically_ be legal to copy (from a company that just spent 4 years and all it's fortunes trying to sue everyone it could over just such technicalities no less!), thank them by having the clue to shut up about it, or at least not advertize it to the world and all of history from now on in a public, searcheable, online archive!

    At least you didn't say "Bill"'s last name. Hint: DON'T

    > I was not able to copy a customer's disk remotely. I did a dd if=/dev/
    > rcd0 of=/tmp/sco5.0.6.iso but when I used this image to burn a CD
    > under windows it would not boot. When I used Bill's image and windows
    > to burn the CD it worked great. Not sure why my attempt did not
    > work. Anyone have any ideas? Is dd not the way to create a bootable
    > ISO image?

    dd if=/dev/cd0 of=file.iso works fine.

    /dev/rcd0 is the programming interface to the drive, where commands are sent and status is read, not where the payload data is read/written, at least not by the likes of dd.

  13. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Brian K. White wrote:
    > > I was not able to copy a customer's disk remotely. I did a dd if=/dev/
    > > rcd0 of=/tmp/sco5.0.6.iso but when I used this image to burn a CD
    > > under windows it would not boot. When I used Bill's image and windows
    > > to burn the CD it worked great. Not sure why my attempt did not
    > > work. Anyone have any ideas? Is dd not the way to create a bootable
    > > ISO image?

    > dd if=/dev/cd0 of=file.iso works fine.
    >
    > /dev/rcd0 is the programming interface to the drive, where commands are
    > sent and status is read, not where the payload data is read/written, at
    > least not by the likes of dd.

    Usually

    /dev/r... is the character device
    /dev/... is the block device

    Sometimes the character device is needed. So your statement is not
    totally correct.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  14. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Brian K. White wrote:
    > > > I was not able to copy a customer's disk remotely. I did a dd if=/dev/
    > > > rcd0 of=/tmp/sco5.0.6.iso but when I used this image to burn a CD
    > > > under windows it would not boot. When I used Bill's image and windows
    > > > to burn the CD it worked great. Not sure why my attempt did not
    > > > work. Anyone have any ideas? Is dd not the way to create a bootable
    > > > ISO image?

    > > dd if=/dev/cd0 of=file.iso works fine.
    > >
    > > /dev/rcd0 is the programming interface to the drive, where commands are
    > > sent and status is read, not where the payload data is read/written, at
    > > least not by the likes of dd.

    > Usually
    >
    > /dev/r... is the character device
    > /dev/... is the block device
    >
    > Sometimes the character device is needed. So your statement is not
    > totally correct.

    For example on OpenServer 6...

    brw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 /dev/cd0
    brw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 306, 52 Jul 23 2005 /dev/cdrom0
    crw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 /dev/rcd0

    /dev/cdrom:
    total 0
    brw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 c0b0t3l0
    brw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 cdrom0

    /dev/rcdrom:
    total 0
    crw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 c0b0t3l0
    crw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 300, 36 Nov 2 16:33 cdrom0

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  15. Re: It just exploded into a million pieces!

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Darmbrust wrote:
    > I was able to burn a CD from a image I received from Bill who is
    > certainly at the top of by good guy list. Thanks Bill.
    >
    > I was not able to copy a customer's disk remotely. I did a dd if=/dev/
    > rcd0 of=/tmp/sco5.0.6.iso but when I used this image to burn a CD
    > under windows it would not boot. When I used Bill's image and windows
    > to burn the CD it worked great. Not sure why my attempt did not
    > work. Anyone have any ideas? Is dd not the way to create a bootable
    > ISO image?

    I always do a sum -r on the image and the device to make sure they match.

    From man sum...

    -r
    Use an alternate (older) algorithm to compute the
    checksum. This alternate algorithm is sensitive to the
    order of the bytes in the data; the standard algorithm is
    not.

    Good Luck,

    --
    Boyd Gerber