Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x? - SCO

This is a discussion on Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x? - SCO ; I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for it, and when I ...

  1. Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and
    would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under
    source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for
    it, and when I try compiling it myself, it throws serious hairballs
    about conflicts in the pthreads.h include files. It happens wiht
    various versions of Subversion, I've tried various releases from 1.2.x
    to 1.4.6, just in case such an old OS is not consistent with more
    modern software.

    Has anyone gotten Subversion successfully compiled? Or is there a more
    recent pthreads than the Skunkware pth-2.0.0 version for SCO
    OpenServer 5.0.x?

    Also, when I tried to compile the "neon" utility, it refused to
    compile on the newly set up development machine, due to missing IPv6
    include setups, and compiled gracefully on an antique system with much
    less control of the environment. Is there an IPv6 package buried in
    one of the updates, or in the installation media? I'm having some
    difficulty wangling my way through the installer with the dozens and
    dozens of little components, and no clear list or even naming scheme
    for the component.

  2. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and
    > would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under
    > source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for
    > it, and when I try compiling it myself, it throws serious hairballs
    > about conflicts in the pthreads.h include files. It happens wiht
    > various versions of Subversion, I've tried various releases from 1.2.x
    > to 1.4.6, just in case such an old OS is not consistent with more
    > modern software.
    >
    > Has anyone gotten Subversion successfully compiled? Or is there a more
    > recent pthreads than the Skunkware pth-2.0.0 version for SCO
    > OpenServer 5.0.x?

    Yes, I have, When I need threads for OpenServer 5.0.X or older I use
    FSU-threads. You can get it from my site.

    ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/...reads-3.14.tgz
    ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/types.h.patch

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  3. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On 22 Feb, 22:46, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and
    > > would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under
    > > source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for
    > > it, and when I try compiling it myself, it throws serious hairballs
    > > about conflicts in the pthreads.h include files. It happens wiht
    > > various versions of Subversion, I've tried various releases from 1.2.x
    > > to 1.4.6, just in case such an old OS is not consistent with more
    > > modern software.

    > > Has anyone gotten Subversion successfully compiled? Or is there a more
    > > recent pthreads than the Skunkware pth-2.0.0 version for SCO
    > > OpenServer 5.0.x?

    > Yes, I have, *When I need threads for OpenServer 5.0.X or older I use
    > FSU-threads. *You can get it from my site.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/.../types.h.patch
    >
    > --
    > Boyd Gerber
    > ZENEZ * 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah *84047

    *Sigh*. Having a version of threads is *not* sufficient. The source of
    Subversion has rather different casting of various settings in its
    include files. Version 3.14 of FSU threads is already available from
    Skunkware in various formats, at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/src...eads-3.14.cpio.
    bz2 and ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...3.14-VOLS.cpio.

    I do wish whoever organized Skunkware would be consistent about format
    of the published installation packages or at least the naming and
    layout schemes for them: It's confusing to find this stuff.

  4. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On 26 Feb, 10:52, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 22 Feb, 22:46, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >

    > > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > > I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and
    > > > would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under
    > > > source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for
    > > > it, and when I try compiling it myself, it throws serious hairballs
    > > > about conflicts in the pthreads.h include files. It happens wiht
    > > > various versions of Subversion, I've tried various releases from 1.2.x
    > > > to 1.4.6, just in case such an old OS is not consistent with more
    > > > modern software.

    > > > Has anyone gotten Subversion successfully compiled? Or is there a more
    > > > recent pthreads than the Skunkware pth-2.0.0 version for SCO
    > > > OpenServer 5.0.x?

    > > Yes, I have, *When I need threads for OpenServer 5.0.X or older I use
    > > FSU-threads. *You can get it from my site.

    > >ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/...zftp://ftp.zen...

    > > --
    > > Boyd Gerber
    > > ZENEZ * 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah *84047

    > *Sigh*. Having a version of threads is *not* sufficient. The source of
    > Subversion has rather different casting of various settings in its
    > include files. Version 3.14 of FSU threads is already available from
    > Skunkware in various formats, atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/src/libraries/FSU-threads-3.14.cpio.
    > bz2 andftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/FSU-threads-3.14-VOLS.cpio.
    >
    > I do wish whoever organized Skunkware would be consistent about format
    > of the published installation packages or at least the naming and
    > layout schemes for them: It's confusing to find this stuff.- Hide quoted text -

    And Boyd, thanks for the pointer. I realized it sounded like I might
    be criticizing you in some way, and I'm not. I've tried the Skunkware
    versions, and they don't work.

  5. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 22 Feb, 22:46, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > > I've got a few SCO OpenServer 5.0.x boxes I'm administrating, and
    > > > would love to use Subvresion to get the source code on them under
    > > > source control. But I've been unable to find a working Subvresion for
    > > > it, and when I try compiling it myself, it throws serious hairballs
    > > > about conflicts in the pthreads.h include files. It happens wiht
    > > > various versions of Subversion, I've tried various releases from 1.2.x
    > > > to 1.4.6, just in case such an old OS is not consistent with more
    > > > modern software.

    > > > Has anyone gotten Subversion successfully compiled? Or is there a more
    > > > recent pthreads than the Skunkware pth-2.0.0 version for SCO
    > > > OpenServer 5.0.x?

    > > Yes, I have, *When I need threads for OpenServer 5.0.X or older I use
    > > FSU-threads. *You can get it from my site.
    > >
    > > ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/.../types.h.patch

    > *Sigh*. Having a version of threads is *not* sufficient. The source of
    > Subversion has rather different casting of various settings in its
    > include files. Version 3.14 of FSU threads is already available from
    > Skunkware in various formats, at
    > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/src...eads-3.14.cpio.
    > bz2 and
    > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...3.14-VOLS.cpio.

    I have been maintaining the FSU-threads and the Skunkware volumes are out
    of date. You will find that my site is listed with the original author.
    I have worked with him on patches. The one on my site is the most up to
    date. I did and am doing the threads mainly for MySQL. I am the one that
    gave Ron Record, the SCO Skunkware guru the files for the Skunkware site.

    > I do wish whoever organized Skunkware would be consistent about format
    > of the published installation packages or at least the naming and layout
    > schemes for them: It's confusing to find this stuff.

    The problem is once the Open Source Software (OSS) get's productized with
    the OS it is remove from the Skunkware site or note update on it.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  6. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On Feb 26, 3:58*pm, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > > > Yes, I have, *When I need threads for OpenServer 5.0.X or older I use
    > > > FSU-threads. *You can get it from my site.

    > > >ftp://ftp.zenez.com/pub/zenez/prgms/...zftp://ftp.zen....

    > > *Sigh*. Having a version of threads is *not* sufficient. The source of
    > > Subversion has rather different casting of various settings in its
    > > include files. Version 3.14 of FSU threads is already available from
    > > Skunkware in various formats, at
    > >ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/src...eads-3.14.cpio.
    > > bz2 and
    > >ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...3.14-VOLS.cpio.

    > I have been maintaining the FSU-threads and the Skunkware volumes are out
    > of date. *You will find that my site is listed with the original author.
    > I have worked with him on patches. *The one on my site is the most up to
    > date. *I did and am doing the threads mainly for MySQL. *I am the one that
    > gave Ron Record, the SCO Skunkware guru the files for the Skunkware site.
    >
    > > I do wish whoever organized Skunkware would be consistent about format
    > > of the published installation packages or at least the naming and layout
    > > schemes for them: It's confusing to find this stuff.

    > The problem is once the Open Source Software (OSS) get's productized with
    > the OS it is remove from the Skunkware site or note update on it.
    >
    > --
    > Boyd Gerber
    > ZENEZ * 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah *84047- Hide quoted text -

    And thank you, I really appreciate your work doing so!

    But the Skunkware contents are confusingly organized. They should have
    been labeled and published from day one with the package name, the
    release number, and the VOLS.tar suffix and bundling. As it is, in the
    FTP site there's things like mpg123-0.59k/VOLS.tar, a2ps-4.10.1-
    VOLS.tar, Acme-1.0.2-VOLS.tar, and the internal package naming of
    things like "SCO:ssh:6.0.0Ga" and the gcc compiler in some of the
    updates, which is not only not the version number, but it's
    misleading because the software is actually Openssh, not "ssh" from
    ssh.com.

    FSU -threads is an example: There's FSU-threads-3.14-VOLS.cpio, FSU-
    pthreads/FSU-threads-3.14-VOLS.cpio, FSUpthreads-3.9-VOLS.tar, FSU-
    threads-3.14.cpio.Z, etc. It's insane!

  7. Re: Has anyone gotten Subversion working on SCO Openserver 5.0.x?

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 3:58*pm, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > > > *Sigh*. Having a version of threads is *not* sufficient. The source of
    > > > Subversion has rather different casting of various settings in its
    > > > include files. Version 3.14 of FSU threads is already available from
    > > > Skunkware in various formats, at
    > > >ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/src...eads-3.14.cpio.
    > > > bz2 and
    > > >ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...3.14-VOLS.cpio.

    > > I have been maintaining the FSU-threads and the Skunkware volumes are out
    > > of date. *You will find that my site is listed with the original author.
    > > I have worked with him on patches. *The one on my site is the mostup to
    > > date. *I did and am doing the threads mainly for MySQL. *I amthe one that
    > > gave Ron Record, the SCO Skunkware guru the files for the Skunkware site.
    > >
    > > > I do wish whoever organized Skunkware would be consistent about format
    > > > of the published installation packages or at least the naming and layout
    > > > schemes for them: It's confusing to find this stuff.

    > > The problem is once the Open Source Software (OSS) get's productized with
    > > the OS it is remove from the Skunkware site or note update on it.

    > And thank you, I really appreciate your work doing so!
    >
    > But the Skunkware contents are confusingly organized. They should have
    > been labeled and published from day one with the package name, the
    > release number, and the VOLS.tar suffix and bundling. As it is, in the
    > FTP site there's things like mpg123-0.59k/VOLS.tar, a2ps-4.10.1-
    > VOLS.tar, Acme-1.0.2-VOLS.tar, and the internal package naming of
    > things like "SCO:ssh:6.0.0Ga" and the gcc compiler in some of the
    > updates, which is not only not the version number, but it's
    > misleading because the software is actually Openssh, not "ssh" from
    > ssh.com.
    >
    > FSU -threads is an example: There's FSU-threads-3.14-VOLS.cpio, FSU-
    > pthreads/FSU-threads-3.14-VOLS.cpio, FSUpthreads-3.9-VOLS.tar, FSU-
    > threads-3.14.cpio.Z, etc. It's insane!

    I agree totally. I am hoping to create a grass roots effort that will
    work with SCO to make it easier to find things and know what the latest
    is. In the past there were 2-3 email lists. I know that SCO is
    re-organizing and I hope that part of it will include one location for all
    OSS version and patches. You also can send email to skunkware@sco.com. I
    think it is stll a valid email address. I know that there is effort
    underway to make things better for end user's. Some things have not
    become public with the down sizing of SCO. I know that Ron Record is
    really great at coding and keeping things going with the Skunkware, but
    once things move to their (SCO's) main product things get blurry really
    fast. ftp2.sco.com is the complete Skunkware since day one. So a lot of
    it is there for all past and present version. This partially leads to
    confusion. I do not want to lose all the past. I think it would be good
    if SCO could have one OSS repo and maybe sub divisions with the patches.

    For example

    Have a on ftp2.sco.com under pub

    oss/
    osr5
    binary (bin)
    patch
    osr6
    binary (bin)
    patch
    uw7
    binary (bin)
    patch (patched)

    With in each group a patch for the version like in osr6

    oss/osr6/patch/
    project.version.patch

    That way we could easily download from the public location and apply the
    patches. This would allow SCO to share the work load to make sure all OS
    application are patched and uptodate. I do feel that SCO needs to
    maintain the patches. With all the animosity toward SCO it seem that some
    may try to get trojans into the code to cause SCO problems. I am thinking
    that if I am unable to get SCO to do it maybe to start a public list like

    SCO Community Open Source Software FAQ and Misc. hosted by ZENEZ
    http://www.zenez.com/cgi-bin/scooss/faq

    This list could be used to assist us all with what is publiclly available.
    I just created this yesterday as an idea/solution to the problem. It is a
    quick attempt to show that all can contribute in a controlled fashion and
    prevent defaced community efforts. The list is under RCS control.

    --
    Boyd Gerber