cups/sysv co-existenCe - SCO

This is a discussion on cups/sysv co-existenCe - SCO ; I have openserver 5.0.7 installed at a customer site. I need ghostscript, so I also installed cups, at that seemed to be the only way to get it. In the past, whenever I needed to add a remote printer, I ...

  1. cups/sysv co-existenCe

    I have openserver 5.0.7 installed at a customer site. I need ghostscript,
    so I also installed cups, at that seemed to be the only way to get it. In
    the past, whenever I needed to add a remote printer, I had to uninstall
    cups, add the remote printer, and then reinstalled cups.

    I recently added mp5. Today I tried to add a new remote printer, and
    removing cups also seemed to clobber the entire lp print system. I
    reinstalled cups, but still did not work, until I recovered all lp files in
    /usr/lib and /usr/bin.

    I've now lost ability to add remote lpd printers - is this a flaw, or am I
    missing something??

  2. Re: cups/sysv co-existenCe

    On 11 Feb, 21:16, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:

    > I've now lost ability to add remote lpd printers - is this a flaw, or am I
    > missing something??

    The MP 5 release notes state:

    WARNING: If you have never run mkdev rlp and you wish to do so, the
    CUPS package must be removed before running mkdev rlp and then
    reinstalled after remote printing is configured

    John

  3. Re: cups/sysv co-existenCe

    In article , Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >I have openserver 5.0.7 installed at a customer site. I need ghostscript,
    >so I also installed cups, at that seemed to be the only way to get it. In
    >the past, whenever I needed to add a remote printer, I had to uninstall
    >cups, add the remote printer, and then reinstalled cups.

    Note that though there is a problem that prevents the scoadmin printer manager
    from allowing you to add remote printers once CUPS is installed, you can still
    do it by manually editing /etc/printcap. If you're comfortable doing that, you
    only have to remove & reinstall CUPS to enable remote printing, and after that
    add remote printers manually.

    >I recently added mp5. Today I tried to add a new remote printer, and
    >removing cups also seemed to clobber the entire lp print system. I
    >reinstalled cups, but still did not work, until I recovered all lp files in
    >/usr/lib and /usr/bin.

    Adding CUPS puts front-ends in place for most of the lp binaries. Removing it
    should move the original binaries back. However, the original binaries might
    be the SYSV print system binaries, or might be binaries that integrate lpd in
    parallel with the SYSV system, depending on whether you've run 'mkdev rlp' or
    not. Adding CUPS on top of that gives a system complex enough that it's
    possible that something went wrong in your case.

    Under OSR6 this all works rather better; starting from a clean slate meant that
    the system could install with all three print systems operating in parallel,
    with front ends always in place, and no switching out of anything.

    >I've now lost ability to add remote lpd printers - is this a flaw, or am I
    >missing something??

    See above...

    John

  4. Re: cups/sysv co-existenCe

    I eventually discovered that I could remove ghostscript as well as cups, and
    re-install ghost script on it's own. This solved my problem. After a few
    tests installing and re-installing cups however, I proved there was a flaw
    in the install procedure. When uninstalling, it removes files from
    /usr/lib/lp/sysv and /usr/lib/lp/cups, but leaves symbolic links in usr/bin
    and usr/lib to cups programs which look for these, which causes lp not to
    work at all. I recovered those from a backup, and was good to go. The
    whole symbolic link thing sure makes things confusing, and the system repair
    process caused me other issues, in other applications.

    wrote in message
    > On 11 Feb, 21:16, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    >
    >> I've now lost ability to add remote lpd printers - is this a flaw, or am
    >> missing something??

    > The MP 5 release notes state:
    >
    > WARNING: If you have never run mkdev rlp and you wish to do so, the
    > CUPS package must be removed before running mkdev rlp and then
    > reinstalled after remote printing is configured
    >
    > John

+ Reply to Thread