    From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 8:42 PM
    Subject: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    > I've got a demo license for 5.0.7, to test against the 5.0.6 and try to set up a new dev environment. (I need to for various reasons, to migrate code, and find 5.0.6 too painful!)
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have the developer license for 5.0.7. And gcc from Skunkware seems to lack binutils. Does anyone have a binutils for 5.0.7 I can get? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get a developer license for 5.0.7?

    Skunkware? good god.

    Uninstall everything you have installed from skunkware.

    install the linker & library package from the main install cd.
    touch /tmp/gnutools.nocheck
    install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50...tools-5.0.7Kj/
    (ignore the dependancy warning, it depends on gwxlibs, but it is older than the latest gwxlibs, and the newer gwxlibs replaces some of gnutools files, so force install gnutools first, then gwxlibs, which is included in mp5)
    install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/mp/osr507mp5/

    There are a scattering of other minor touchups and annoyances that I don't feel like tracking down but they are generally simple to fix on the spot as you hit them, such as:

    verify that /usr/gnu/bin and /usr/gnu/sbin are in your path
    linking /usr/gnu/bin gar to ar or vice versa. linking /bin/true to strip to make a dumy strip command to satisfy some makefiles (don't use gnu/bin/strip or gstrip even if it exists),

    If there is anything you still need from skunkware, first see if there might not be a newer version at http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco (or ftp.pcunix.com/pub/bkw though I am slightly more religious about the http site, plus the web page has any install notes.) or just take a stab at building it fresh.
    Or google here (the newsgroup), because a few people have popped up here with recent builds of various things over the last couple years.

    I do still use lynx and top and hog and pine and a few others from skunkware.

  3. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    That bad? I'm new to SCO Openserver, doing a migration to RHEL. The previous setups have it, and it seemed semi-supported. There *used* to be a binutils at Skunkware, but it disappeared between when I started the project and when I went double checking for it, there are now just lots of references to it but no binary.

    > Uninstall everything you have installed from skunkware.
    >
    > install the linker & library package from the main install cd.
    > touch /tmp/gnutools.nocheck
    > install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50...tools-5.0.7Kj/
    > (ignore the dependancy warning, it depends on gwxlibs, but it is older than the latest gwxlibs, and the newer gwxlibs replaces some of gnutools files, so force install gnutools first, then gwxlibs, which is included in mp5)
    > install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/mp/osr507mp5/
    >

    > There are a scattering of other minor touchups and annoyances that I don't feel like tracking down but they are generally simple to fix on the spot as you hit them, such as:
    >
    > verify that /usr/gnu/bin and /usr/gnu/sbin are in your path
    > linking /usr/gnu/bin gar to ar or vice versa. linking /bin/true to strip to make a dumy strip command to satisfy some makefiles (don't use gnu/bin/strip or gstrip even if it exists),
    >
    > If there is anything you still need from skunkware, first see if there might not be a newer version at http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco (or ftp.pcunix.com/pub/bkw though I am slightly more religious about the http site, plus the web page has any install notes.) or just take a stab at building it fresh.
    > Or google here (the newsgroup), because a few people have popped up here with recent builds of various things over the last couple years.
    >
    > I do still use lynx and top and hog and pine and a few others from skunkware.

    Hmm. Are Alex's packages better than Skunkware? Becuase I have to admit, while the tools like "rsync" are useful, not having package management for hist tarballs makes maintaining software compatibility and version tracking rather
    awkward. He certainly has things that Skunkware does not, for which I'm glad.

    Lynx is built right into 5.0.7a.

  4. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    >>> I've got a demo license for 5.0.7, to test against the 5.0.6 and try to
    >>> set up a new dev environment. (I need to for various reasons, to migrate
    >>> code, and find 5.0.6 too painful!)
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, I don't have the developer license for 5.0.7. And gcc
    >>> from Skunkware seems to lack binutils. Does anyone have a binutils for
    >>> 5.0.7 I can get? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get a developer
    >>> license for 5.0.7?

    >> Skunkware? good god.

    > That bad? I'm new to SCO Openserver, doing a migration to RHEL. The
    > previous setups have it, and it seemed semi-supported. There *used* to be
    > a binutils at Skunkware, but it disappeared between when I started the
    > project and when I went double checking for it, there are now just lots of
    > references to it but no binary.

    Eh, most of the stuff I ever use is available much newer from sco, mostly
    all combined into a few big all-singing-all-dancing packages that someone at
    SCO did a lot of work to build up, and most of those are wrapped up into
    mp5. I don't think much has been updated in skunkware in a long time. The
    userbase that used to contribute to it has dwindled.
    Isn't everything that was in binutils in gnutools now?

    >> Uninstall everything you have installed from skunkware.
    >>
    >> install the linker & library package from the main install cd.
    >> touch /tmp/gnutools.nocheck
    >> install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50...tools-5.0.7Kj/
    >> (ignore the dependancy warning, it depends on gwxlibs, but it is older
    >> than the latest gwxlibs, and the newer gwxlibs replaces some of gnutools
    >> files, so force install gnutools first, then gwxlibs, which is included
    >> in mp5)
    >> install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/mp/osr507mp5/
    >>

    >> There are a scattering of other minor touchups and annoyances that I
    >> don't feel like tracking down but they are generally simple to fix on the
    >> spot as you hit them, such as:
    >>
    >> verify that /usr/gnu/bin and /usr/gnu/sbin are in your path
    >> linking /usr/gnu/bin gar to ar or vice versa. linking /bin/true to strip
    >> to make a dumy strip command to satisfy some makefiles (don't use
    >> gnu/bin/strip or gstrip even if it exists),
    >>
    >> If there is anything you still need from skunkware, first see if there
    >> might not be a newer version at http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco (or
    >> ftp.pcunix.com/pub/bkw though I am slightly more religious about the http
    >> site, plus the web page has any install notes.) or just take a stab at
    >> building it fresh.
    >> Or google here (the newsgroup), because a few people have popped up here
    >> with recent builds of various things over the last couple years.
    >>
    >> I do still use lynx and top and hog and pine and a few others from
    >> skunkware.
    >>

    > Hmm. Are Alex's packages better than Skunkware? Becuase I have to admit,
    > while the tools like "rsync" are useful, not having package management for
    > hist tarballs makes maintaining software compatibility and version
    > tracking rather awkward. He certainly has things that Skunkware does not,
    > for which I'm glad.

    I mostly just build things for myself, and for me, I don't feel like taking
    the time to create and maintain vol packages, and don't find using vol
    packages as convenient as a tar for most simple apps. It's valuable to me to
    be able to install with just "curl url |bzcat |tar"
    I make the bins available on a take it or leave it basis. I remember before
    I could build stuff (before they started making the linker & library package
    available with the base os) I didn't care how a binary was packaged, just
    that it existed at all was the life saver.
    But, if it's worth the bother to you, by all means feel free to take the
    tars and repackage them into vols.

    I did write a little convenience script for installing/uninstalling/listing.
    Installing is already simple enough, but this makes uninstalling practical
    and the listing option filters out the old or odd cruft from the web page
    that you mostly likely don't want.
    Just download it and run it manually with ksh and it will set itself up the
    rest of the way and display it's help.
    wget http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/binstall
    ksh binstall

    Currently it shows
    Available:
    ImageMagick afio base64 bash curl dbftools enscript ez-ipupdate ghostpcl
    gs iozone less lftp lha lrzsz lslk lynx mc mcrypt md5 mpack nc ncftp
    par pdksh pico prune qb2c recode replace rlpr rsync socat sqlite3 star
    strobe sudo unzip urldec vim wget zsh

    of those, at least these are superceded by one of the sco packages
    bash curl lynx unzip vim zsh

    base64 you don't need because you have openssl (ie: echo hello |openssl
    base64 )
    recode you don't need because you have iconv
    gs you probably don't need because there is a esp version with cups in mp5,
    mine is the afpl version but getting a little old now
    wget is in gnutools but mine is newer. there are some ssl and ftp options
    that make a difference.

    everything else on the page that doesn't show up here is definitely old or
    odd in some way

    > Lynx is built right into 5.0.7a.

    Yeah forgot about that when I posted.

  5. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    Thanks. I need to go to the console and finish a "custom" process I left running over the weekend when I left for work, but I took apart the gnutools source tarball. Yeah, gcc and binutils and lots of other important things are in there.

    I wish the old 5.0.6 system I'd been working with could be tested with gnutools, or had a working enough compilation environment to build that gnutools tarball, but it doesn't.

    >>> Uninstall everything you have installed from skunkware.
    >>>
    >>> install the linker & library package from the main install cd.
    >>> touch /tmp/gnutools.nocheck
    >>> install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50...tools-5.0.7Kj/
    >>> (ignore the dependancy warning, it depends on gwxlibs, but it is older
    >>> than the latest gwxlibs, and the newer gwxlibs replaces some of gnutools
    >>> files, so force install gnutools first, then gwxlibs, which is included
    >>> in mp5)
    >>> install ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/mp/osr507mp5/
    >>>

    >>> There are a scattering of other minor touchups and annoyances that I
    >>> don't feel like tracking down but they are generally simple to fix on the
    >>> spot as you hit them, such as:
    >>>
    >>> verify that /usr/gnu/bin and /usr/gnu/sbin are in your path
    >>> linking /usr/gnu/bin gar to ar or vice versa. linking /bin/true to strip
    >>> to make a dumy strip command to satisfy some makefiles (don't use
    >>> gnu/bin/strip or gstrip even if it exists),

    What's wrong with GNU strip?

    >>> If there is anything you still need from skunkware, first see if there
    >>> might not be a newer version at http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco (or
    >>> ftp.pcunix.com/pub/bkw though I am slightly more religious about the http
    >>> site, plus the web page has any install notes.) or just take a stab at
    >>> building it fresh.
    >>> Or google here (the newsgroup), because a few people have popped up here
    >>> with recent builds of various things over the last couple years.
    >>>
    >>> I do still use lynx and top and hog and pine and a few others from
    >>> skunkware.
    >>>

    >> Hmm. Are Alex's packages better than Skunkware? Becuase I have to admit,
    >> while the tools like "rsync" are useful, not having package management for
    >> hist tarballs makes maintaining software compatibility and version
    >> tracking rather awkward. He certainly has things that Skunkware does not,
    >> for which I'm glad.

    > I mostly just build things for myself, and for me, I don't feel like taking
    > the time to create and maintain vol packages, and don't find using vol
    > packages as convenient as a tar for most simple apps. It's valuable to me to
    > be able to install with just "curl url |bzcat |tar"
    > I make the bins available on a take it or leave it basis. I remember before
    > I could build stuff (before they started making the linker & library package
    > available with the base os) I didn't care how a binary was packaged, just
    > that it existed at all was the life saver.
    > But, if it's worth the bother to you, by all means feel free to take the
    > tars and repackage them into vols.

    Ahh. I like packaging software because then I know what chunks were built by me, what were built by someone else, and if someone installs another package, it can properly report a conflict or move aside the old one and I don't go hunting for "where did /usr/local/bin/readlink come from? *WHICH* readlink is that!!!!"?

    > I did write a little convenience script for installing/uninstalling/listing.
    > Installing is already simple enough, but this makes uninstalling practical
    > and the listing option filters out the old or odd cruft from the web page
    > that you mostly likely don't want.
    > Just download it and run it manually with ksh and it will set itself up the
    > rest of the way and display it's help.
    > wget http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/binstall
    > ksh binstall

    Thanks, Brian. If I package some of them up (such as rsync), should I pass along the packing note to you?

    > Currently it shows
    > Available:
    > ImageMagick afio base64 bash curl dbftools enscript ez-ipupdate ghostpcl
    > gs iozone less lftp lha lrzsz lslk lynx mc mcrypt md5 mpack nc ncftp
    > par pdksh pico prune qb2c recode replace rlpr rsync socat sqlite3 star
    > strobe sudo unzip urldec vim wget zsh

    rsync and sudo were the ones that made me say "THANK YOU" for having them.

    > of those, at least these are superceded by one of the sco packages
    > bash curl lynx unzip vim zsh
    >
    > base64 you don't need because you have openssl (ie: echo hello |openssl
    > base64 )
    > recode you don't need because you have iconv
    > gs you probably don't need because there is a esp version with cups in mp5,
    > mine is the afpl version but getting a little old now
    > wget is in gnutools but mine is newer. there are some ssl and ftp options
    > that make a difference.
    >
    > everything else on the page that doesn't show up here is definitely old or
    > odd in some way
    >
    >> Lynx is built right into 5.0.7a.
    >>

    > Yeah forgot about that when I posted.

    It's cool. How long are you going to keep that website going? I'm happy to mirror its contents now and keep a copy locally for potential rebuilds of the one or two machines I might keep alive for access to historical utilities.

  6. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    > Thanks. I need to go to the console and finish a "custom" process I left
    > running over the weekend when I left for work, but I took apart the
    > gnutools source tarball. Yeah, gcc and binutils and lots of other
    > important things are in there.
    >
    > I wish the old 5.0.6 system I'd been working with could be tested with
    > gnutools, or had a working enough compilation environment to build that
    > gnutools tarball, but it doesn't.

    You can install the same gnutools and gwxlibs packages on 506 just fine.
    Just install rs506a and oss646c first.
    I built/build tons of stuff on 506 that way.

    In fact you can install on as far back as 504.
    It's even possible to install the latest versions of the things which only
    appear in the rs507mp5 package on 506.
    You just have to be careful to select only the sub-components in custom and
    not try to install the top-level full mp5 package.
    Probably on 505 too, possibly even on 504, but I have actually done it on a
    several 506 boxes only. The slightly older standalone versions of the same
    packages I have installed on 504 and 505.

    > What's wrong with GNU strip?

    On sco it's buggy. breaks some (all?) binaries you run it on.
    I'm not sure why it's in the package.
    You can get a working strip by installing the full native dev sys and defer
    the license.
    The compiler, linker, and assembler don't work but some of the supporting
    utils like strip do.
    You basically trade one set of minor annoyances for another as then
    makefiles find the wrong version of some tool once in a while.

    > rsync and sudo were the ones that made me say "THANK YOU" for having them.

    You know there is a stock method for allowing users to run privilidged
    commands right?
    Maybe not as handy as sudo but at least it exists, stock, even on old
    versions.

    Rsync is like oxygen.

    > It's cool. How long are you going to keep that website going? I'm happy to
    > mirror its contents now and keep a copy locally for potential rebuilds of
    > the one or two machines I might keep alive for access to historical
    > utilities.

    Basically forever.
    Surely I will add to it and update it less and less. Then again I always
    liked old stuff and so I could just as easily get on a kick some time and
    expand it and try to add even add stuff to say, create the most souped-up
    modern xenix system possible just for the heck of it. I never saw a dev kit
    for xenix so I don't know if I can do that but maybe it's possible to create
    bins on new systems that will run on xenix.
    But regardless I don't see a reason to ever take it down and I don't imagine
    I'll ever not have hosting facilities, nor do I imagine ever losing interest
    in unix or at least in IT but even in that case, it costs nothing,
    relatively, for it to sit there. I should probably deleiberately shift the
    url to something not dependant on my employer or any particular host.

    As for packaging vols and the way vols are not convenient like rpm or deb, I
    should probably do some more work on setup_gnu, strip out the junk that
    isn't strictly part of the package parser/installer, improve the vol parser,
    and rename it to reflect it's real job.
    Originally it was something to install a bunch of skunkware packages all at
    once, but that required making something that could handle all the 20
    different ways sco packages are delivered and packaged and the several
    different core file formats aside from the various packaging/compressing
    methods. That vol installer (pkgadd too now) is really the only thing that
    matters and makes dealing with vol packages almost convenient.

  7. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    > You can get a working strip by installing the full native dev sys and
    > defer
    > the license.

    [...]
    > You basically trade one set of minor annoyances for another as then
    > makefiles find the wrong version of some tool once in a while.

    Llike, uh "make". heh.

  8. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    Brian K. White wrote:
    >> Thanks. I need to go to the console and finish a "custom" process I left
    >> running over the weekend when I left for work, but I took apart the
    >> gnutools source tarball. Yeah, gcc and binutils and lots of other
    >> important things are in there.
    >>
    >> I wish the old 5.0.6 system I'd been working with could be tested with
    >> gnutools, or had a working enough compilation environment to build that
    >> gnutools tarball, but it doesn't.

    > You can install the same gnutools and gwxlibs packages on 506 just fine.
    > Just install rs506a and oss646c first.
    > I built/build tons of stuff on 506 that way.

    As much as I appreciate the thought, I *can't* do that. Some of the developers have been at the local compiler and infrastructure, with locally compiled binaries, and I can't risk their environment. That's why I'm not touching it, and am working with a clean system. I could roll my own development environment back to 5.0.6, but then I lose network drivers that work, I suspect I'll lose USB which is a godsend for talking to an external drive for backup, etc.

    I also found that installing various critical updates, including rs506a and gwxlibs and oss646c in the 5.0.6 to get OpenSSH working with the SCO published version, shot Emacs and Xemacs through the head, and due to being unable to touch the environment I can't reset things well enough enough to recompile Emacs in a workable way. *sniff*. Doing C code in VI is..... not my idea of a good time. The Emacs parentheses closing checker is my friend, as is the auto-indentation and flashing of the line associated with closing curly brackets.

    > In fact you can install on as far back as 504.
    > It's even possible to install the latest versions of the things which only
    > appear in the rs507mp5 package on 506.
    > You just have to be careful to select only the sub-components in custom and
    > not try to install the top-level full mp5 package.
    > Probably on 505 too, possibly even on 504, but I have actually done it on a
    > several 506 boxes only. The slightly older standalone versions of the same
    > packages I have installed on 504 and 505.

    Oh, goodness, I don't need to go back *that* far.

    >> What's wrong with GNU strip?

    > On sco it's buggy. breaks some (all?) binaries you run it on.
    > I'm not sure why it's in the package.
    > You can get a working strip by installing the full native dev sys and defer
    > the license.
    > The compiler, linker, and assembler don't work but some of the supporting
    > utils like strip do.
    > You basically trade one set of minor annoyances for another as then
    > makefiles find the wrong version of some tool once in a while.

    I can just live without strip: I can move aside the binary for safety.

    >> rsync and sudo were the ones that made me say "THANK YOU" for having them.

    > You know there is a stock method for allowing users to run privilidged
    > commands right?
    > Maybe not as handy as sudo but at least it exists, stock, even on old
    > versions.

    No, I didn't. Can you point me to it?

    > Rsync is like oxygen.

    Amen, especially given that the built-in lynx somehow fails to show entries on websites that show up just fine on lynx from other systems.

    >> It's cool. How long are you going to keep that website going? I'm happy to
    >> mirror its contents now and keep a copy locally for potential rebuilds of
    >> the one or two machines I might keep alive for access to historical
    >> utilities.

    > Basically forever.
    > Surely I will add to it and update it less and less. Then again I always
    > liked old stuff and so I could just as easily get on a kick some time and
    > expand it and try to add even add stuff to say, create the most souped-up
    > modern xenix system possible just for the heck of it. I never saw a dev kit
    > for xenix so I don't know if I can do that but maybe it's possible to create
    > bins on new systems that will run on xenix.
    > But regardless I don't see a reason to ever take it down and I don't imagine
    > I'll ever not have hosting facilities, nor do I imagine ever losing interest
    > in unix or at least in IT but even in that case, it costs nothing,
    > relatively, for it to sit there. I should probably deleiberately shift the
    > url to something not dependant on my employer or any particular host.
    >
    > As for packaging vols and the way vols are not convenient like rpm or deb, I
    > should probably do some more work on setup_gnu, strip out the junk that
    > isn't strictly part of the package parser/installer, improve the vol parser,
    > and rename it to reflect it's real job.

    Wait, those are two absolutely distinct issues. Contemporary versions of pkg and apt support decent conflict reporting, package deletion, and dependency reporting. VOL, well, VOL waves a magic wand over your packages and says "then a miracle occurred!".

    > Originally it was something to install a bunch of skunkware packages all at
    > once, but that required making something that could handle all the 20
    > different ways sco packages are delivered and packaged and the several
    > different core file formats aside from the various packaging/compressing
    > methods. That vol installer (pkgadd too now) is really the only thing that
    > matters and makes dealing with vol packages almost convenient.

    That's fair. I wonder if you could be talked into supporting rsync for download, and the .cpio packages that are now being published at ftp.sco.com?

  9. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    >>> rsync and sudo were the ones that made me say "THANK YOU" for having
    >>> them.

    >> You know there is a stock method for allowing users to run privilidged
    >> commands right?
    >> Maybe not as handy as sudo but at least it exists, stock, even on old
    >> versions.

    > No, I didn't. Can you point me to it?

    It's called asroot.

    http://docsrv.sco.com:507/en/man/htm...sroot.ADM.html

    And here is a distilled working example recipe.
    http://www.webservertalk.com/archive...7-1138787.html

    Basically you have to add some executable foo to the authorization system
    first, and then give individual users authorization to use foo, and then
    that user can run "asroot foo".

    The example was for "kill" to answer someone elses question, and I did
    really do it to make sure it works as advertized, but other than that
    I've only ever used it to give users permission to run manual tape backups
    with ctar/lonetar/backupedge.

  10. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    On 3 Feb, 21:31, "Brian K. White" wrote:
    > > You can get a working strip by installing the full native dev sys and
    > > defer
    > > the license.

    > [...]
    > > You basically trade one set of minor annoyances for another as then
    > > makefiles find the wrong version of some tool once in a while.

    > Llike, uh "make". heh.
    >
    > --
    > Brian K. White * *br...@aljex.com * *http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro *BBx * *Linux *SCO *FreeBSD * *#callahans *Satriani *Filk!

  11. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Brian K. White wrote:
    >>> Thanks. I need to go to the console and finish a "custom" process I
    >>> left running over the weekend when I left for work, but I took apart
    >>> the gnutools source tarball. Yeah, gcc and binutils and lots of other
    >>> important things are in there.
    >>>
    >>> I wish the old 5.0.6 system I'd been working with could be tested
    >>> with gnutools, or had a working enough compilation environment to
    >>> build that gnutools tarball, but it doesn't.

    >> You can install the same gnutools and gwxlibs packages on 506 just fine.
    >> Just install rs506a and oss646c first.
    >> I built/build tons of stuff on 506 that way.

    > As much as I appreciate the thought, I *can't* do that. Some of the
    > developers have been at the local compiler and infrastructure, with
    > locally compiled binaries, and I can't risk their environment. That's
    > why I'm not touching it, and am working with a clean system. I could
    > roll my own development environment back to 5.0.6, but then I lose
    > network drivers that work, I suspect I'll lose USB which is a godsend
    > for talking to an external drive for backup, etc.

    I've gone ahead and stopped the 5.0.7 system for various compatibility
    reasons, and because I was getting nowhere with it, and done a 5.0.6 install
    on a VMware Workstation license for testing. This is superior to the extremely
    painful hardware re-installations and driver integration for various
    contemporary hardware and this out of date operating system, and I like the
    idea for long term legacy support. The complex directions published on AP
    Lawrence's blog to do this turn out to be unnecessary if you simply use IDE
    based virtual images on VMware Workstation 5.0. *YAT!!!!!".

    I put in rs506a and oss646c and the latest gwslibs (200Ba, I think?) published
    for 5.0.6. and the developer toolkit from its CD. But I still lack a working
    compiler environment? In compiling even a file with a single include statement
    in it, I get this:

    bash-2.03$ gcc -o test test.c
    collect2: cannot find `ld'

    The only "ld" I can find is in /udk/usr/ccs/bin/ld. The other development
    system for 5.0.6 that had a compiler is a very customized environment, and
    difficult to replicate.

    >> In fact you can install on as far back as 504.
    >> It's even possible to install the latest versions of the things which
    >> only appear in the rs507mp5 package on 506.
    >> You just have to be careful to select only the sub-components in
    >> custom and not try to install the top-level full mp5 package.
    >> Probably on 505 too, possibly even on 504, but I have actually done it
    >> on a several 506 boxes only. The slightly older standalone versions of
    >> the same packages I have installed on 504 and 505.

    > Oh, goodness, I don't need to go back *that* far.

    What is in rs507mp5 that I might want?

  12. Re: Getting working compiler for 5.0.7, gcc missing binutils?

    >>> You can install the same gnutools and gwxlibs packages on 506 just fine.
    >>> Just install rs506a and oss646c first.
    >>> I built/build tons of stuff on 506 that way.

    >> As much as I appreciate the thought, I *can't* do that. Some of the
    >> developers have been at the local compiler and infrastructure, with
    >> locally compiled binaries, and I can't risk their environment. That's
    >> why I'm not touching it, and am working with a clean system. I could
    >> roll my own development environment back to 5.0.6, but then I lose
    >> network drivers that work, I suspect I'll lose USB which is a godsend
    >> for talking to an external drive for backup, etc.

    > I've gone ahead and stopped the 5.0.7 system for various compatibility
    > reasons, and because I was getting nowhere with it, and done a 5.0.6 install
    > on a VMware Workstation license for testing. This is superior to the extremely
    > painful hardware re-installations and driver integration for various
    > contemporary hardware and this out of date operating system, and I like the
    > idea for long term legacy support. The complex directions published on AP
    > Lawrence's blog to do this turn out to be unnecessary if you simply use IDE
    > based virtual images on VMware Workstation 5.0. *YAT!!!!!".
    >
    > I put in rs506a and oss646c and the latest gwslibs (200Ba, I think?) published
    > for 5.0.6. and the developer toolkit from its CD. But I still lack a working
    > compiler environment? In compiling even a file with a single include statement
    > in it, I get this:
    >
    > bash-2.03$ gcc -o test test.c
    > collect2: cannot find `ld'
    >
    > The only "ld" I can find is in /udk/usr/ccs/bin/ld. The other development
    > system for 5.0.6 that had a compiler is a very customized environment, and
    > difficult to replicate.
    >
    >>> In fact you can install on as far back as 504.
    >>> It's even possible to install the latest versions of the things which
    >>> only appear in the rs507mp5 package on 506.
    >>> You just have to be careful to select only the sub-components in
    >>> custom and not try to install the top-level full mp5 package.
    >>> Probably on 505 too, possibly even on 504, but I have actually done it
    >>> on a several 506 boxes only. The slightly older standalone versions of
    >>> the same packages I have installed on 504 and 505.

    >> Oh, goodness, I don't need to go back *that* far.

    > What is in rs507mp5 that I might want?

    I already told you:
    1) ld: install the linker & libs package from the base os install cd
    2) mp5: "the latest versions of the things which only appear in the rs507mp5"
    That would be gwxlibs and a few other things (apache, perl,..)

    You will still have a perfetly good build environment without the absolute latest stuff from mp5 though. It's been pretty good for at least 5 years.

    It's not magic and it's not actually Linux though, so, definitely a lot of apps do need some sort of porting, but generally it's in the nature of configuring build options, not really "porting". Things like locating libraries and include files, disabling features that the OS doesn't provide (threads) or if you're up to it, porting (hacking threaded apps to use one of the 3 different fake-threads, userspace threads libraries).

    Most of the time I can get something to build without editing any files, just give the right options and/or environment variables to ./configure. Other times I only have to edit Makefile. Other times even if I have to edit .h or .c files, it's just to fix up some #include statements so I still haven't done what I would call actual porting.

    Don't get discouraged. All I can say is I do it all the time, not just on one special box I set up long ago and forgot all the hacks I must have done. I set up a brand new osr5 box every now and then in a few hours and can compile things immediately. My first message to you on this subject spelled out the recipe for 507. Nice and short and reproducable. If you followed that recipe and didn't have a good system, I'd like to hear specifics. Chances are the only problems are minor and easily fixed but maybe just requires someone who's seen it already to point out some non-obvious fix. Like editing /etc/profile and /.profile so that PATH is more useful, like symlinking some of the bins in /usr/gnu/bin to other names so that Makefiles find them, like renaming some gnu binaries so that other parts of the system do _not_ find them. When some script explodes, it's a big problem to you, but really, when all it was was /usr/gnu/bin/tar should be renamed to gtar, or else /usr/gnu/bin should come at the end of PATH instead of at the beginning, those are what I call small problems. Annoyances is all. There is a bag of little one-time fix-ups like that, and then you have a system that "just-works" , most of the time.

    For 506 it's a bit more work to go from scratch to a good system, because there are several updates and patches you should put on 506, and then to get the latest gwxlibs and other stuff besides gnutools, you have to be careful installing them as subcomponents from osr507mp5. gnutools hasn't been updated in years so the standalone gnutools507Kj package is the same. (There actually was a slightly newer version once, I have it on a box, but I no longer know where it came from. It's a mystery I'd love to solve some day...) And then after all that, you only have 506, which means one good thing and a few bad things.
    good thing: soft seat licenses. any number of people can log in to a 5-user system
    it generates messages on the console is all. (note, you can attain this on 507 too by building your own ssh)
    bad things: lots of kernel and filesystem improvements.