Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape - SCO

This is a discussion on Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape - SCO ; I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled application. The QIC80 drive was replaced years ago with a Sony DAT drive and his UNIX 3.2v4.2 system was migrated to ...

  1. Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    application.

    The QIC80 drive was replaced years ago with a Sony
    DAT drive and his UNIX 3.2v4.2 system was migrated
    to two different PCs with larger hard disks.

    Sometime over the migration, an important source file
    has been lost.

    I've checked QIC standards and manufactures manuals
    and the manual for an old Seagate STT28000N-RFT drive
    indicates that it will read QIC80 media.

    Well, it does not. I connected an old SCSI STT28000N to my
    office system and added the tape to the blad driver.
    I can read QIC3080 or TR4 tapes on the STT28000N but
    not the client's QIC80 tapes.

    I can issue tape reten and tape status commands and the
    tape retensions and tape status shows:

    # tape status
    status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected
    soft errors : 0
    hard errors : 0
    underruns : 0
    #

    But dtype returns:

    # dtype /dev/rct0
    /dev/rct0 No such device or address

    and tar vtf /dev/rct0 shows:

    # tar vtf /dev/rct0
    tar: cannot open: /dev/rct0
    #

    I tried various tape commands to try to reset the tape.
    Some return silently and others indicate that it
    can't be done:

    # tape getblk
    Block Size = 1024
    # tape -a 0 setblk
    tape: unable to do 'setblk' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error
    #

    Man tape shows density values:

    Value Description
    1 800bpi (NRZI) ( 1/2 inch)
    2 1600bpi (PE) ( 1/2 inch)
    3 6250bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    4 8000bpi (GCR) ( 1/4 inch) QIC-11
    5 8000bpi (GCR) ( 1/4 inch) QIC-24
    6 3200bpi (PE) ( 1/2 inch)
    7 6400bpi (IMFM) ( 1/4 inch)
    8 8000bpi (GCR) (0.15 inch)
    9 37871bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    0xa 6667bpi (MFM) ( 1/2 inch)
    0xb 1600bpi (PE) ( 1/4 inch)
    0xc 12690bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    0xd 25380bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    0xe Reserved forECMA
    0xf 10000bpi (GCR) QIC-120
    0x10 10000bpi (GCR) QIC-150
    0x11 16000bpi (GCR) QIC-320/QIC-525
    0x12 51667bpi (RLL) QIC-1350
    0x13 61000bpi (DDS) 4mm X3B5/88-185A
    0x14 54000bpi 8mm X3B5/88-036 (EXB-8200)
    0x15 QIC-1000
    0x22 QIC-2GB
    0x7f No change

    but tape getdensity shows:
    # tape getdensity
    Unknown Density type 65

    and

    # tape -a 10 setdensity
    tape: unable to do 'setdensity' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error

    (Trying tape getdensity on **QIC-3080** media that will read shows:
    # tape getdensity
    Unknown Density type 41
    # tape -a 10 setdensity
    tape: unable to do 'setdensity' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error
    # tape -a 65 setdensity <-- ?????
    # tape -a 41 setdensity
    # tape getdensity
    Unknown Density type 41
    # tape -a 65 setdensity
    # tape getdensity
    Unknown Density type 41 <-- Can't change the density.
    # dtype /dev/rct0
    /dev/rct0 : tar format
    # tape getblk
    Block Size = 512 <-- QIC3080 block size. The QIC-80 returns 1024 and can't change.
    # tape -a 0 setblk
    # tape getblk
    Block Size = 0
    # dtype /dev/rct0
    /dev/rct0 : tar format

    # tape getblk
    Block Size = 0
    # )

    Checking further I find
    http://web.archive.org/web/200011182.../mini8_md.html

    With the note:

    Note: The CTT8000/STTx8000 tape drive is capable of reading tapes written
    by a floppy tape drive (often referred to as MFM tapes). In order to provide
    this capability the software must support the QIC-172 protocol.

    Looks like the SCO 5.0.7 with MP5 does not support QIC-172.

    Can anyone recommend a QIC80 floppy controller tape drive that
    I might have a chance at finding that can read the old QIC-80 tapes?

    And any suggestions on mkdev tape options that I'll need to add a
    floppy tape will be appreciated.
    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

    >I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    >from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    >application.
    >
    >The QIC80 drive was replaced years ago with a Sony
    >DAT drive and his UNIX 3.2v4.2 system was migrated
    >to two different PCs with larger hard disks.
    >
    >Sometime over the migration, an important source file
    >has been lost.
    >
    >I've checked QIC standards and manufactures manuals
    >and the manual for an old Seagate STT28000N-RFT drive
    >indicates that it will read QIC80 media.
    >
    >Well, it does not. I connected an old SCSI STT28000N to my
    >office system and added the tape to the blad driver.
    >I can read QIC3080 or TR4 tapes on the STT28000N but
    >not the client's QIC80 tapes.
    >
    >I can issue tape reten and tape status commands and the
    >tape retensions and tape status shows:
    >
    ># tape status
    > status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected
    >soft errors : 0
    >hard errors : 0
    > underruns : 0
    >#

    What does /etc/default/tape reveal the default tape devoce to be?

> [...]
    ># tape -a 0 setblk
    >tape: unable to do 'setblk' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error
    >#
    >
    >Man tape shows density values:
    >
    > Value Description
    > 1 800bpi (NRZI) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 2 1600bpi (PE) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 3 6250bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 4 8000bpi (GCR) ( 1/4 inch) QIC-11
    > 5 8000bpi (GCR) ( 1/4 inch) QIC-24
    > 6 3200bpi (PE) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 7 6400bpi (IMFM) ( 1/4 inch)
    > 8 8000bpi (GCR) (0.15 inch)
    > 9 37871bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 0xa 6667bpi (MFM) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 0xb 1600bpi (PE) ( 1/4 inch)
    > 0xc 12690bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 0xd 25380bpi (GCR) ( 1/2 inch)
    > 0xe Reserved forECMA
    > 0xf 10000bpi (GCR) QIC-120
    > 0x10 10000bpi (GCR) QIC-150
    > 0x11 16000bpi (GCR) QIC-320/QIC-525
    > 0x12 51667bpi (RLL) QIC-1350
    > 0x13 61000bpi (DDS) 4mm X3B5/88-185A
    > 0x14 54000bpi 8mm X3B5/88-036 (EXB-8200)
    > 0x15 QIC-1000
    > 0x22 QIC-2GB
    > 0x7f No change
    >
    >but tape getdensity shows:
    ># tape getdensity
    >Unknown Density type 65
    >
    >and
    >
    ># tape -a 10 setdensity
    >tape: unable to do 'setdensity' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error
    >
    >(Trying tape getdensity on **QIC-3080** media that will read shows:
    ># tape getdensity
    >Unknown Density type 41
    ># tape -a 10 setdensity
    >tape: unable to do 'setdensity' command on '/dev/xct0' : I/O error
    ># tape -a 65 setdensity <-- ?????
    ># tape -a 41 setdensity
    ># tape getdensity
    >Unknown Density type 41
    ># tape -a 65 setdensity
    ># tape getdensity
    >Unknown Density type 41 <-- Can't change the density.
    ># dtype /dev/rct0
    >/dev/rct0 : tar format
    ># tape getblk
    >Block Size = 512 <-- QIC3080 block size. The QIC-80 returns 1024 and can't change.
    ># tape -a 0 setblk
    ># tape getblk
    >Block Size = 0
    ># dtype /dev/rct0
    >/dev/rct0 : tar format
    >
    ># tape getblk
    >Block Size = 0
    ># )
    >
    >Checking further I find
    >http://web.archive.org/web/200011182.../mini8_md.html
    >
    >With the note:
    >
    >Note: The CTT8000/STTx8000 tape drive is capable of reading tapes written
    >by a floppy tape drive (often referred to as MFM tapes). In order to provide
    >this capability the software must support the QIC-172 protocol.
    >
    >Looks like the SCO 5.0.7 with MP5 does not support QIC-172.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a QIC80 floppy controller tape drive that
    >I might have a chance at finding that can read the old QIC-80 tapes?
    >
    >And any suggestions on mkdev tape options that I'll need to add a

  3. Re: Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    Hi,

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. schrieb:
    > I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    > from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    > application.

    QIC-80 is just the recording format. Please check the type of data
    cartridges (DC2080, DC2120 ...)!

    > The QIC80 drive was replaced years ago with a Sony
    > DAT drive and his UNIX 3.2v4.2 system was migrated
    > to two different PCs with larger hard disks.
    >
    > Sometime over the migration, an important source file
    > has been lost.
    >
    > I've checked QIC standards and manufactures manuals
    > and the manual for an old Seagate STT28000N-RFT drive
    > indicates that it will read QIC80 media.
    >
    > Well, it does not. I connected an old SCSI STT28000N to my
    > office system and added the tape to the blad driver.
    > I can read QIC3080 or TR4 tapes on the STT28000N but
    > not the client's QIC80 tapes.

    That's how it works.
    Only drives up to QIC-3020 have read compatiblity with QIC-80.

    > Can anyone recommend a QIC80 floppy controller tape drive that
    > I might have a chance at finding that can read the old QIC-80 tapes?

    Last year I used a Colorado Jumbo 250 for a similar task. Tape support
    hasn't much changed. So I think they will work with 5.0.7.

    > And any suggestions on mkdev tape options that I'll need to add a
    > floppy tape will be appreciated.

    I had only trouble with mkdev tape using old Tandberg QIC-150 drives.
    Uncertain which type to choose I had to try out. The Tecmar setting
    worked finally.

    Andreas Kohl

  4. Re: Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    On Feb 1, 12:01 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    > from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    > application.

    Google for "tape conversion" . There are lots of firms that do this
    sort of thing, cheap and quick.

  5. Re: Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 12:01 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >
    >>I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    >>from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    >>application.

    > Google for "tape conversion" . There are lots of firms that do this
    > sort of thing, cheap and quick.

    Ahhh... someone told me to recently to "Don't Major in your Minor". If this was
    1988 and these tapes were SOTA in technology, it would be worthwhile to dig in
    and make this work.
    It's 2008.
    I'm with Tony.

  6. Re: Need help reading old QIC80 backup tape

    Walter Vaughan wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >> On Feb 1, 12:01 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've a client needing to read old QIC80 backup tapes
    >>> from 1996 to locate source files for his compiled
    >>> application.

    >> Google for "tape conversion" . There are lots of firms that do this
    >> sort of thing, cheap and quick.

    > Ahhh... someone told me to recently to "Don't Major in your Minor". If
    > this was 1988 and these tapes were SOTA in technology, it would be
    > worthwhile to dig in and make this work.
    > It's 2008.
    > I'm with Tony.

    Any recommendations on people you have worked with on tape conversions
    in the past?

    See the two responses below:

    > Steve,
    >
    > I can't help you.
    >
    > I dont support the 2120's, QIC-80's or BRU.
    >
    > I have worked on Xenix in the past 84/85' but not recently.
    >

    > Bob Chicko
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    > TAPECONVERSIONS.COM
    > 4115 THREE OAKS DRIVE
    > ARLINGTON, TX 76016-3226

    And

    > Pivar Computing Services, Inc.
    > 1500 Abbott Ct.
    > Buffalo Grove, IL 60089 USA
    >
    > 847-478-8000 phone
    > 847-478-8750 fax
    > 800-CONVERT 800 phone
    > scott@convert.com email
    > www.convert.com website
    >
    > Thank you for your interest in conversion services provided by Pivar
    > Computing Services, Inc., we have been converting data since 1982, and we
    > have completed nearly 60,000 projects to date.
    >
    > While we can read Colorado tapes written under Xenix with JTAPE, we
    > cannot dd DC2120 tapes - unless you know something we dont. Which drive
    > was used to write them? (we have never been able to dd DC2120 tapes with
    > Mountain, Colorado or Irwin drives, devname xct0).
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Scott Johnson
    > 800 266-8378 x 122
    > Production Manager
    > scott@convert.com

    Since the tapes were written with a Xenix version of BRU, I had asked if the
    services can transfer the image from the 250M tape to CDR so that I can
    mount the CD in the client's system where (BRU is still available) to decompress
    and restore the files.

    The problem with the client's version of BRU is that it is a Xenix version
    and truncates names to the Xenix file system 14-character name limit (even
    when restoring to EAFS the file system on SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2 - a nasty surprise
    when we had to restore files in 2004).

    Today, I reconnected the old Irwin A250E-02 external drive and CompatiCard IV
    controller card to the client's old UNIX box that I dug out of storage. Once I
    ran mkdev tape and selected minicart on the default (1), I was able to send
    tape reten and the drive woke up and started moving the tape. Problem was that the
    tape stopped moving and the drive never did, finally turning the drive roller to
    tar (I had to power off and remove the tape). Fortunately, I had the good sense
    to use an non critical tape while testing the drive.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

+ Reply to Thread