Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's - SCO

This is a discussion on Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's - SCO ; My continuing adventure... I finally opted for a P4 with an IDE drive of 40gb as the newer hardware is just not made for 506. Here are the steps I've followed (a few times already) - Boot on 506 CD, ...

  1. Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    My continuing adventure...

    I finally opted for a P4 with an IDE drive of 40gb as the newer hardware
    is just not made for 506.

    Here are the steps I've followed (a few times already)

    - Boot on 506 CD, install with wd506 driver, all is well.
    - reboot, install rs506a, two steps, all is well.
    - reboot, install development system, all is well.
    - reboot, install Merge 5.1 (optional services), all is well.
    - shutdown
    - ghost the HD to save me some time reinstalling when I break it.
    - boot and proceed to install these patches

    (rebooting after each, just in case)

    oss636a, all is well
    oss638a, all is well
    oss640a, all is well
    oss642a, all is well
    oss643a, all is well
    oss644b, all is well
    oss645a, all is well

    oss646b, installed without oss646c, I have a problem

    After rebooting I get this error on one or more random console tty's

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"

    disabling and enabling the faulty port just spits out the same error
    again.

    when I uninstall the patch, all is fine.

    oss646c - installed without oss646b, Same exact problem as oss646b

    oss646c - installed after oss646b, all 12 console tty's get the error

    uninstalled both oss646b and oss646c and proceeded with the others

    oss648c, all is well
    oss650a, all is well
    oss651a, all is well
    oss651b, all is well
    oss660a, all is well
    oss663a, all is well
    oss666a, all is well

    Now, I'm also trying to get curl installed, which depends on gwxlibs
    which in turn depends on oss646c.

    If anyone can shed light on the problem I'm getting with oss646b/c, it
    would be most appreciated.

    Thanks
    Marc

  2. Re: Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    Bizarre.
    I have never seen that particular problem inthat exact context, but,
    Does the p4 have hyperthreading?
    Is HT disabled in the bios? (disable it)

    I would install oss646c without 646b and then scologin disable
    and then investigate if there is anything wrong with X

    > I finally opted for a P4 with an IDE drive of 40gb as the newer hardware
    > is just not made for 506.
    >
    > Here are the steps I've followed (a few times already)
    >
    > - Boot on 506 CD, install with wd506 driver, all is well.
    > - reboot, install rs506a, two steps, all is well.
    > - reboot, install development system, all is well.
    > - reboot, install Merge 5.1 (optional services), all is well.
    > - shutdown
    > - ghost the HD to save me some time reinstalling when I break it.
    > - boot and proceed to install these patches
    >
    > (rebooting after each, just in case)
    >
    > oss636a, all is well
    > oss638a, all is well
    > oss640a, all is well
    > oss642a, all is well
    > oss643a, all is well
    > oss644b, all is well
    > oss645a, all is well
    >

    > oss646b, installed without oss646c, I have a problem
    >
    > After rebooting I get this error on one or more random console tty's
    >
    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"
    >
    > disabling and enabling the faulty port just spits out the same error
    > again.
    >
    > when I uninstall the patch, all is fine.
    >

    > oss646c - installed without oss646b, Same exact problem as oss646b
    >
    > oss646c - installed after oss646b, all 12 console tty's get the error
    >
    > uninstalled both oss646b and oss646c and proceeded with the others
    >
    > oss648c, all is well
    > oss650a, all is well
    > oss651a, all is well
    > oss651b, all is well
    > oss660a, all is well
    > oss663a, all is well
    > oss666a, all is well
    >

    > Now, I'm also trying to get curl installed, which depends on gwxlibs
    > which in turn depends on oss646c.
    >
    > If anyone can shed light on the problem I'm getting with oss646b/c, it
    > would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Marc
    >

    > --

  3. Re: Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    Brian,
    I forgot to mention that the installion is lightweight (no graphical)

    (hey! yet another filepro dude!)

    Thanks

    "Brian K. White" wrote in news:017201c862ef$01fb2080
    $7200000a@venti:

    > Bizarre.
    > I have never seen that particular problem inthat exact context, but,
    > Does the p4 have hyperthreading?
    > Is HT disabled in the bios? (disable it)
    >
    > I would install oss646c without 646b and then scologin disable
    > and then investigate if there is anything wrong with X
    >
    > Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

  4. Re: Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    "Marc Champagne" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A34E6BC99138garbagebingmailcom@216.196.97 .131...
    > Brian,
    > I forgot to mention that the installion is lightweight (no graphical)
    >
    > (hey! yet another filepro dude!)

    Read TA106355 and see if you find joy. There are other articles there and
    on www.aplawrence.com
    Just search for init: Command is respawning

    Ron

    > Thanks
    >
    > "Brian K. White" wrote in news:017201c862ef$01fb2080
    > $7200000a@venti:
    >
    >> Bizarre.
    >> I have never seen that particular problem inthat exact context, but,
    >> Does the p4 have hyperthreading?
    >> Is HT disabled in the bios? (disable it)
    >>
    >> I would install oss646c without 646b and then scologin disable
    >> and then investigate if there is anything wrong with X
    >>
    >> Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    >> +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    >> filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

  5. Re: Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    "Ronald Marchand" wrote in

    > "Marc Champagne" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A34E6BC99138garbagebingmailcom@216.196.97 .131...
    >> Brian,
    >> I forgot to mention that the installion is lightweight (no graphical)
    >>
    >> (hey! yet another filepro dude!)
    >>

    > Read TA106355 and see if you find joy. There are other articles
    > there and on www.aplawrence.com
    > Just search for init: Command is respawning
    >
    > Ron

    Ron, I've been soo long out of the loop, hadn't though of the TA's

    Checked out all of sco, aplawrence and a sprinkle of google,
    everthing seems fine and dandy.

    Problem occurs without oss666a, so that's not the culprit.
    Search for duplicate in inittab and others, all is fine.

    I may just pop the HD into another P4 and see what happens.

    Also check for hyperthreading, didn't have that option in the BIOS

    Thanks
    Marc

  6. Re: Fresh install 5.0.6 on P4 with IDE HD's

    Folks,

    Tried my setup on another P4 box, oss646b/c loaded, no more init problems.

    I did get an error on bootup related to oss666a not being compatible with
    oss646c so I removed it.

    Voila, I'm a happy camper, finally got myself stable box.

    Once this project blows over, I may investigate 5.0.7 or 6, do any of these
    support modern technology? AMD? duals and quads?

    Thanks all who helped, very much appreciated.
    Marc

+ Reply to Thread