Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?) - SCO

This is a discussion on Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?) - SCO ; Good day, I am posting this to several newsgroups, considering the age of the device and the range of users who may have had experience overcoming such problems in the past. The company I work for has numerous sites, typically ...

  1. Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?)

    Good day,

    I am posting this to several newsgroups, considering the age of the device
    and the range of users who may have had experience overcoming such problems
    in the past.

    The company I work for has numerous sites, typically all linked via British
    Telecom 64k kilostream connections. Many utilise Specialix MTS serial
    adaptors for providing telnet access to our Mandrake Linux servers at HQ,
    and serial printing. Despite the age, they have worked well.

    Recently we have decided to upgrade our national wide area network to a
    private ADSL circuit. The sites are now all effectively connected via the
    new ADSL connections, but we are experiencing major problems switching the
    site networks over.

    Basically, PCs and network/ethernet printers seem fine - PCs can telnet into
    our HQ server using Windows based terminal emulator. The problem is with the
    Specialix MTS's. The dumb terminals connected to the MTS offer a telnet
    login to the HQ server, but as soon as you enter a username, the terminal
    locks. Print jobs sent to a serial printer on the MTS device fail after one
    to two jobs (same deal with the port/MTS appearing to be locked up).

    *All the time*, we can locally ping to the MTS, and telnet into it (ie: from
    one of the PCs on the site network), *but* pings from the HQ server cease,
    once a terminal has locked, or a printer has stalled. It's as though all
    communication via the gateway (ie: non-local network) is frozen. If we
    reboot the MTS, we are guaranteed a login again, but the same thing will
    happen, as soon as we try to enter a username.

    I have trawled the internet for some leads, but information is scarce to say
    the least, so I'm really hoping there is someone out there who remembers
    these devices from their younger days, and may be able to shed some light on
    what may be going on!? The www.perle.com site doesn't appear to hold any
    documentation for the MTS in question.

    We have switched the MTS with a spare we had, and changed the connectivity
    from BNC to ethernet, all to no avail.

    When we log into the MTS, we get the following:

    Telnet connect to MTS mts15

    Specialix MTS
    version 5.01.a i.3

    Login:

    Thank you very much for reading.

    Best Regards,

    EJ

  2. Re: Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?)

    Elliot J wrote:
    > Good day,
    >
    > I am posting this to several newsgroups, considering the age of the device
    > and the range of users who may have had experience overcoming such problems
    > in the past.
    >
    > The company I work for has numerous sites, typically all linked via British
    > Telecom 64k kilostream connections. Many utilise Specialix MTS serial
    > adaptors for providing telnet access to our Mandrake Linux servers at HQ,
    > and serial printing. Despite the age, they have worked well.
    >
    > Recently we have decided to upgrade our national wide area network to a
    > private ADSL circuit. The sites are now all effectively connected via the
    > new ADSL connections, but we are experiencing major problems switching the
    > site networks over.
    >
    > Basically, PCs and network/ethernet printers seem fine - PCs can telnet into
    > our HQ server using Windows based terminal emulator. The problem is with the
    > Specialix MTS's. The dumb terminals connected to the MTS offer a telnet
    > login to the HQ server, but as soon as you enter a username, the terminal
    > locks. Print jobs sent to a serial printer on the MTS device fail after one
    > to two jobs (same deal with the port/MTS appearing to be locked up).
    >
    > *All the time*, we can locally ping to the MTS, and telnet into it (ie: from
    > one of the PCs on the site network), *but* pings from the HQ server cease,
    > once a terminal has locked, or a printer has stalled. It's as though all
    > communication via the gateway (ie: non-local network) is frozen. If we
    > reboot the MTS, we are guaranteed a login again, but the same thing will
    > happen, as soon as we try to enter a username.

    I have no information on the Specialix but suggest that you post more details
    on your network configuration change. Specifically: This sounds like you
    have a new gateway address at the local offices and have not changed the
    Specialix IP settings to specify the new gateway address.

    > I have trawled the internet for some leads, but information is scarce to say
    > the least, so I'm really hoping there is someone out there who remembers
    > these devices from their younger days, and may be able to shed some light on
    > what may be going on!? The www.perle.com site doesn't appear to hold any
    > documentation for the MTS in question.

    Also, have you contacted Perle technical support? My experience with their
    support has been excellent.

    > We have switched the MTS with a spare we had, and changed the connectivity
    > from BNC to ethernet, all to no avail.
    >
    > When we log into the MTS, we get the following:

    > Telnet connect to MTS mts15
    >
    > Specialix MTS
    > version 5.01.a i.3
    >
    > Login:

    The above looks like you have a login prompt from the Specialix and
    not from the remote server. More evidence that the gateway has not
    been updated: Once you try to execute the login, the Specialix trys
    to connect to its programmed host and directs the connection via
    the old gateway?

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  3. Re: Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?)

    Elliot J wrote:

    > Specialix MTS serial
    > adaptors

    Does this help ?
    http://www.multitech.com/DOCUMENTS/C...s/S000354B.pdf
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: Problems with old Specialix MTS (anyone remember them?)

    We used these devices wihth various flavours of SCO (5.0..4 - 5.0.7).
    As I recall, they morphed into the Jetstream Range, so the following
    link may be useful:

    http://www.perle.com/support_service...fs/5500004.pdf

    When you get the login prompt, you can usually just enter 'Admin' to
    get in.

    Hope this helps

    Bob

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:42:39 -0000, "Elliot J"
    wrote:

    >Good day,
    >
    >I am posting this to several newsgroups, considering the age of the device
    >and the range of users who may have had experience overcoming such problems
    >in the past.
    >
    >The company I work for has numerous sites, typically all linked via British
    >Telecom 64k kilostream connections. Many utilise Specialix MTS serial
    >adaptors for providing telnet access to our Mandrake Linux servers at HQ,
    >and serial printing. Despite the age, they have worked well.
    >
    >Recently we have decided to upgrade our national wide area network to a
    >private ADSL circuit. The sites are now all effectively connected via the
    >new ADSL connections, but we are experiencing major problems switching the
    >site networks over.
    >
    >Basically, PCs and network/ethernet printers seem fine - PCs can telnet into
    >our HQ server using Windows based terminal emulator. The problem is with the
    >Specialix MTS's. The dumb terminals connected to the MTS offer a telnet
    >login to the HQ server, but as soon as you enter a username, the terminal
    >locks. Print jobs sent to a serial printer on the MTS device fail after one
    >to two jobs (same deal with the port/MTS appearing to be locked up).
    >
    >*All the time*, we can locally ping to the MTS, and telnet into it (ie: from
    >one of the PCs on the site network), *but* pings from the HQ server cease,
    >once a terminal has locked, or a printer has stalled. It's as though all
    >communication via the gateway (ie: non-local network) is frozen. If we
    >reboot the MTS, we are guaranteed a login again, but the same thing will
    >happen, as soon as we try to enter a username.
    >
    >I have trawled the internet for some leads, but information is scarce to say
    >the least, so I'm really hoping there is someone out there who remembers
    >these devices from their younger days, and may be able to shed some light on
    >what may be going on!? The www.perle.com site doesn't appear to hold any
    >documentation for the MTS in question.
    >
    >We have switched the MTS with a spare we had, and changed the connectivity
    >from BNC to ethernet, all to no avail.
    >
    >When we log into the MTS, we get the following:

    > Telnet connect to MTS mts15
    >
    >Specialix MTS
    >version 5.01.a i.3
    >
    >Login: