sendmail problem OS 5.0.7 - SCO

This is a discussion on sendmail problem OS 5.0.7 - SCO ; A mailserver we want to use requires authorization. Using scoadmin sendmail I can define the mailhost, but not authorization. Is there a way around this?...

  1. sendmail problem OS 5.0.7

    A mailserver we want to use requires authorization. Using scoadmin sendmail
    I can define the mailhost, but not authorization. Is there a way around
    this?

  2. Re: sendmail problem OS 5.0.7

    "Ron Kirschner" wrote in message news:fmnovs$p5m$1@aioe.org...
    >A mailserver we want to use requires authorization. Using scoadmin sendmail I can define
    >the mailhost, but not authorization. Is there a way around this?

    The version of sendmail included in OSR507 doesn't support SMTP AUTH.
    If you can find a way to compile sendmail for 507 to include SMTP AUTH,
    that would be the way to go. I couldn't find a way to do it, so I asked my ISP
    (snet at the time, then sbc, now att) to unblock port 25 access to their mail
    server for our account, after promising that we really knew what we were doing.

    Bob

  3. Re: sendmail problem OS 5.0.7

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:31:46 -0500, "Ron Kirschner"
    wrote:

    >A mailserver we want to use requires authorization. Using scoadmin sendmail
    >I can define the mailhost, but not authorization. Is there a way around
    >this?

    I get around this by using msmtp as the MTA, rather than sendmail.
    When combined with mutt, it works very well for all versions of
    OpenServer. I believe msmtp is available on Skunkware.

    --
    Richard Seeder

  4. Re: sendmail problem OS 5.0.7

    On 17 Jan, 14:31, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    > A mailserver we want to use requires authorization. *Using scoadmin sendmail
    > I can define the mailhost, but not authorization. *Is there a way around
    > this?

    Since the mail servers for such old OS's don't support it, you could
    block incoming access from non-local hosts and force your clients to
    use an SSL or SSH tunnel.

+ Reply to Thread