will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA - SCO

This is a discussion on will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA - SCO ; Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to more upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would like some more feetback. We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works ...

  1. will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to more
    upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would like
    some more feetback.

    We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works very well in our case.

    SCO_SV 3.2v5.0.6 kernelID 2000-07-27

    We are looking at getting a motherboard that supports RAID mirroring, 2
    160gb SATA drives, SATA possibly in legacy mode, cdrom would be IDE.

    I've been out of the loop a couple of years, If more information is needed
    I will gladly supply it.

    Much Appreciated.
    Marc

  2. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:18:02 GMT, Marc Champagne
    wrote:
    >Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to more
    >upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would like
    >some more feetback.
    >
    >We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works very well in our case.
    >
    >SCO_SV 3.2v5.0.6 kernelID 2000-07-27
    >
    >We are looking at getting a motherboard that supports RAID mirroring, 2
    >160gb SATA drives, SATA possibly in legacy mode, cdrom would be IDE.
    >
    >I've been out of the loop a couple of years, If more information is needed
    >I will gladly supply it.
    >
    >Much Appreciated.
    >Marc

    First, there are ***NO*** motherboards whose embedded chipsets' RAID
    option supports OpenServer.

    If you need RAID support, the best way to get there is with a card
    such as Adaptec's 2410SA ("aacraid") or LSI's MegaRAID 150-4
    ("amird"). Both these cards use mature stacks designed around their
    SCSI counterparts. I think the LSI card has more fans among this
    group's readers, due to its "megamgr" software.

    The rest of my notes presume that you don't want to shell out the $$
    for a RAID card:

    You will do well with 1 or 2 SATA disks on most of the Intel chipsets'
    embedded controllers. ViA, nVidia, ATI, and SiS will not take you
    there as easily; SiliconImage chips won't even pretend to.

    There is no native SATA support in 5.0.6, so you must poke around in
    the CMOS and set your SATA controller to "legacy" or "combined" mode.

    Load the "wd506" BTLD when you do your install.

    If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    --Alan DePietro
    ald (at) senecadata dot com
    Systems Engineer
    Seneca Data Distributors

  3. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Alan DePietro wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:18:02 GMT, Marc Champagne
    > wrote:
    >> Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to more
    >> upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would like
    >> some more feetback.
    >>
    >> We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works very well in our case.
    >>
    >> SCO_SV 3.2v5.0.6 kernelID 2000-07-27
    >>
    >> We are looking at getting a motherboard that supports RAID mirroring, 2
    >> 160gb SATA drives, SATA possibly in legacy mode, cdrom would be IDE.
    >>
    >> I've been out of the loop a couple of years, If more information is needed
    >> I will gladly supply it.
    >>
    >> Much Appreciated.
    >> Marc

    > First, there are ***NO*** motherboards whose embedded chipsets' RAID
    > option supports OpenServer.
    >
    > If you need RAID support, the best way to get there is with a card
    > such as Adaptec's 2410SA ("aacraid") or LSI's MegaRAID 150-4
    > ("amird"). Both these cards use mature stacks designed around their
    > SCSI counterparts. I think the LSI card has more fans among this
    > group's readers, due to its "megamgr" software.
    >
    > The rest of my notes presume that you don't want to shell out the $$
    > for a RAID card:
    >
    > You will do well with 1 or 2 SATA disks on most of the Intel chipsets'
    > embedded controllers. ViA, nVidia, ATI, and SiS will not take you
    > there as easily; SiliconImage chips won't even pretend to.

    I'll second the above. I have successfully installed 5.0.6 on SuperMicro
    X6DLV-EG system board with 6300ESB (Hance Rapids) chipset with WD Raptor
    36G 10K drives.

    The X6DLV-EG BIOS is Intel« E7320 (Lindenhurst VS) Chipset and other
    makers E7320 may provide the 6300ESB SATA controller.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  4. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Alan DePietro wrote in

    > First, there are ***NO*** motherboards whose embedded chipsets' RAID
    > option supports OpenServer.

    I was thinking using hardware based RAID to keep it transparent from the
    OS. Having not tinkered with RAID yet, I may be barking up the wrong
    tree.

    > If you need RAID support, the best way to get there is with a card
    > such as Adaptec's 2410SA ("aacraid") or LSI's MegaRAID 150-4
    > ("amird"). Both these cards use mature stacks designed around their
    > SCSI counterparts. I think the LSI card has more fans among this
    > group's readers, due to its "megamgr" software.

    Yes, if all else fails, Adaptec is always to way to go, cost is not a
    problem, was trying to avoid it if it was not really needed.

    > The rest of my notes presume that you don't want to shell out the $$
    > for a RAID card:

    > You will do well with 1 or 2 SATA disks on most of the Intel chipsets'
    > embedded controllers. ViA, nVidia, ATI, and SiS will not take you
    > there as easily; SiliconImage chips won't even pretend to.

    Interesting, thanks for that info.

    > There is no native SATA support in 5.0.6, so you must poke around in
    > the CMOS and set your SATA controller to "legacy" or "combined" mode.
    >
    > Load the "wd506" BTLD when you do your install.
    >
    > If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    > (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    All Noted.

    Much appreciated, thanks
    Marc

  5. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    For what it s worth, we were going to get this setup:

    Intel Q6600 QuadCore
    ASUS P5K [RAID]
    2 X 1 GB DDR2 KINGSTON
    2 X SATA 160GO WESTERN DIGITAL 8 MB Cache
    DVD-RW SATA PIONEER 18X

  6. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Marc Champagne wrote:
    > Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to more
    > upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would like
    > some more feetback.
    >
    > We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works very well in our case.
    >
    > SCO_SV 3.2v5.0.6 kernelID 2000-07-27
    >
    > We are looking at getting a motherboard that supports RAID mirroring, 2
    > 160gb SATA drives, SATA possibly in legacy mode, cdrom would be IDE.
    >
    > I've been out of the loop a couple of years, If more information is needed
    > I will gladly supply it.
    >
    > Much Appreciated.
    > Marc

    Upgrade to 5.0.7, which has drivers for various SAS/SATA raid options.

    Install it fresh on the new box and move your data across the network or
    via compatible tape drive.

    HP's ML350 g5 has SCO specific drivers for it. I've installed 2 recently
    with SAS RAID 5 with no problems. Very, very fast.

    If you use 5.0.6 you will have to run the drives in the much slower
    legacy mode, and multi-user performance especially will suffer.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Temporary number! (209) 251-7201
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  7. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:31:41 GMT, Marc Champagne
    wrote:

    >For what it s worth, we were going to get this setup:
    >
    >Intel Q6600 QuadCore
    >ASUS P5K [RAID]
    >2 X 1 GB DDR2 KINGSTON
    >2 X SATA 160GO WESTERN DIGITAL 8 MB Cache
    >DVD-RW SATA PIONEER 18X

    Go ahead and try it...when you're done beating your head on your desk
    in frustration, load OSR6 on it and buy an older system on Ebay to
    load 5.0.6 on.

    Even if you have spent the $$$$ on SMP licenses, 5.0.6 still isn't
    likely to happily support multi-core CPUs.

    Your best chances for success are one of the several 865 redux boards
    on the market, a carryover 7320 with a single (Nocona/Irwindale) Xeon
    chip, or a mature long-lifecycle (embedded channel) product.

    BIOS architecture has changed immensely in the past decade.

    You can't expect a 1999 operating system to run well on 2008 hardware.

    (Tangent: Don't count on a DDR3-based desktop board to be -completely-
    stable and reliable just yet...)

  8. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Pat Welch wrote in

    > Marc Champagne wrote:
    >> Some of our old server boxes are, well, old, we need to migrate to
    >> more upstream hardware, I've read bits a pieces via google, but would
    >> like some more feetback.
    >>
    >> We need to stick to 5.0.6. as that solutions works very well in our
    >> case.
    >>
    >> SCO_SV 3.2v5.0.6 kernelID 2000-07-27
    >>
    >> We are looking at getting a motherboard that supports RAID mirroring,
    >> 2 160gb SATA drives, SATA possibly in legacy mode, cdrom would be
    >> IDE.
    >>
    >> I've been out of the loop a couple of years, If more information is
    >> needed I will gladly supply it.
    >>
    >> Much Appreciated.
    >> Marc

    > Upgrade to 5.0.7, which has drivers for various SAS/SATA raid options.
    >
    > Install it fresh on the new box and move your data across the network
    > or via compatible tape drive.
    >
    > HP's ML350 g5 has SCO specific drivers for it. I've installed 2
    > recently with SAS RAID 5 with no problems. Very, very fast.
    >
    > If you use 5.0.6 you will have to run the drives in the much slower
    > legacy mode, and multi-user performance especially will suffer.

    Thanks, will look into 5.0.7, that's the last upgrade we had received
    many moons ago, was not able to get it working back then, will have to
    retry. (didn't 5.0.7 have a new method for licensing that sucked?, I
    don't recall now, been too long)

    Marc

  9. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    We will acquire an Adaptec 2410SA and 2 x WD Raptor 74gb, that should do
    the trick.

    besides the "wd506" BTLD, are there any other addons/patches I will need?

    Much appreciated
    Marc

  10. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Alan DePietro wrote in

    > If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    > (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    Damned, the SATA WD Raptor 74GB are no longer available here.

    By "You Will Lose", does that mean a 120GB+ drive will not work at all, or
    will the drivers recognise less space than the drive actually has?

    I really don't care about losing some GB's on a 120GB+ drive, all I do
    really need is no more than 40GB in the end as the current system occupies
    less than 10GB.

    If available, are the Caviar/Cavier-SE 40GB or 80GB models an option in
    terms of functionality with wd506?

    Again, much appreciated
    Marc

  11. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Marc Champagne wrote:
    > We will acquire an Adaptec 2410SA and 2 x WD Raptor 74gb, that should do
    > the trick.
    >
    > besides the "wd506" BTLD, are there any other addons/patches I will need?

    It's unlikely that you will require the wd506 BTLD if you use the
    Adaptec 2410SA as you will use the driver for the 2410SA and not
    the standard wd driver.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  12. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    "Marc Champagne" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A28D7C6C54B7garbagebingmailcom@205.237.23 3.52...
    > Alan DePietro wrote in
    >
    >> If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    >> (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    > Damned, the SATA WD Raptor 74GB are no longer available here.

    Where is "here"? I just checked the US Western Digital store and 74GB
    Raptors are listed as in stock.

    Bob

  13. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Alan DePietro
    wrote in news:saato35ijuhgt4q9gp5kkpdr4trtuvfqn3@4ax.com:

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:31:41 GMT, Marc Champagne
    > wrote:
    >
    >>For what it s worth, we were going to get this setup:
    >>
    >>Intel Q6600 QuadCore
    >>ASUS P5K [RAID]
    >>2 X 1 GB DDR2 KINGSTON
    >>2 X SATA 160GO WESTERN DIGITAL 8 MB Cache
    >>DVD-RW SATA PIONEER 18X

    > Go ahead and try it...when you're done beating your head on
    > your desk in frustration, load OSR6 on it and buy an older
    > system on Ebay to load 5.0.6 on.

    Alan, the primary purpose of switching machines is to keep
    the 5.0.6 working at whatever cost. The above mentionned
    system is complete overkill for 5.0.6, I know that and we
    are not expecting or wanting max performance to come of it,
    again our goal is to keep the 5.0.6. running but on new hardware.

    We are looking at porting to linux later on, that's where
    the quad will get it's use (or part thereof anyways).

    > Even if you have spent the $$$$ on SMP licenses, 5.0.6
    > still isn't likely to happily support multi-core CPUs.

    We havn't spent a dime on upgrading SCO since 5.0.7 came out
    and that won't change, in my mind SCO is dead. I did grow up
    with it (since the Xenix days) and am very confortable with it,
    but it's passÚ.

    > Your best chances for success are one of the several 865
    > redux boards on the market, a carryover 7320 with a single
    > (Nocona/Irwindale) Xeon chip, or a mature long-lifecycle
    > (embedded channel) product.
    >
    > BIOS architecture has changed immensely in the past decade.
    >
    > You can't expect a 1999 operating system to run well on
    > 2008 hardware.

    I know that, which is the reason for my probing into the matter.

    > (Tangent: Don't count on a DDR3-based desktop board to be
    > -completely- stable and reliable just yet...)

    Won't even think about it.

    Thanks
    Marc

  14. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in news:uj4kj.89840
    $Um6.80988@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

    > "Marc Champagne" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A28D7C6C54B7garbagebingmailcom@205.237.23 3.52...
    >> Alan DePietro wrote in
    >>
    >>> If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    >>> (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    >> Damned, the SATA WD Raptor 74GB are no longer available here.

    > Where is "here"? I just checked the US Western Digital store and 74GB
    > Raptors are listed as in stock.
    >
    > Bob

    Quebec, Canada
    All local suppliers no longer carry them.
    But if I get confirmation that HD size doesn't matter with a 2410SA Adaptec
    controller, then this won't really be a problem.

    Thanks
    Marc

  15. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote in

    > Marc Champagne wrote:
    >> We will acquire an Adaptec 2410SA and 2 x WD Raptor 74gb, that should
    >> do the trick.
    >>
    >> besides the "wd506" BTLD, are there any other addons/patches I will
    >> need?

    > It's unlikely that you will require the wd506 BTLD if you use the
    > Adaptec 2410SA as you will use the driver for the 2410SA and not
    > the standard wd driver.

    Can anybody confirm this?

    Much appreciated
    Marc

  16. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    In article Marc Champagne writes:
    $We are looking at porting to linux later on, that's where
    $the quad will get it's use (or part thereof anyways).

    I haven't been following this thread in great detail, so I may be
    making an unwarranted assumption here. My assumption, based on reading
    the above, is that your plan is to use this new machine to run your
    production system in 5.0.6, and then later use this new machine to run
    your production system in Linux.

    If that's the case, I might suggest considering not running 5.0.6 on
    this new machine. Keep your production 5.0.6 system on some other
    hardware. If your current 5.0.6 hardware isn't adequate, then get
    something new, but nowhere near top-of-the-line - just good enough to keep
    you going until you're ready to bring the fancy new Linux box into
    production. Use the fancy new box as your Linux testbed, and once
    you're satisfied that you've ported it and it's all happy, bring the
    new Linux box into production.

    Here's my rationale for that suggestion.

    If you do what I'm thinking you're planning on doing, you'll be
    doing three ports:

    1. old 5.0.6 box to new 5.0.6 box
    2. 5.0.6 to a temporary Linux box as a porting testbed
    3. shut down the new 5.0.6 box, wipe it, install Linux on it, configure
    it, port your programs and data, test everything

    What I'm suggesting is only barely more than two ports:

    1. old 5.0.6 box to a newer 5.0.6 box
    2. 5.0.6 to Linux as a test system on the new hardware
    3. when you're satisfied that the new Linux box is good, all you have to
    do to bring it into production is to cut over your production data; all
    the code and other configuration is already there and tested.

    Steps 1 and 2 are basically the same in both scenarios (though step 1
    may be easier in my scenario because you have more freedom to find
    hardware that is better supported by 5.0.6). But step 3 in my
    suggested plan is much quicker: no need to install the OS from
    scratch, configure it from scratch, or re-test everything you tested on
    your testbed system already. And the backout plan, in case things
    don't go well, is very simple: turn off the new Linux box and turn on
    the 5.0.6 box, as opposed to restoring the whole box from backup if
    your production 5.0.6 system is on the same box as your production
    Linux system.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  17. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    [trying to reply to 3 posts with this 1]

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:12:33 -0600, Marc Champagne wrote:
    >"Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote :
    >> Marc Champagne wrote:
    >>> We will acquire an Adaptec 2410SA and 2 x WD Raptor 74gb, that should
    >>> do the trick.
    >>> besides the "wd506" BTLD, are there any other addons/patches I will
    >>> need?

    >> It's unlikely that you will require the wd506 BTLD if you use the
    >> Adaptec 2410SA as you will use the driver for the 2410SA and not
    >> the standard wd driver.

    >Can anybody confirm this?

    Yes, the "aacraid" driver is all the RAID card needs. However, you
    should still load wd506 if you have a CD burner or REV drive.
    "Other patches" = 506a (which should go without saying), oss648c for
    CPU support, others as needed.
    ( Tangent: does patchchk run on 5.0.6 ? )

    > But if I get confirmation that HD size doesn't matter with a 2410SA Adaptec
    > controller, then this won't really be a problem.

    This is also the case. SCSI-based drivers generally do not have the
    LBA limitation of 'wd' and 'wd506'. (see below)

    >> If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    >> (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    >By "You Will Lose", does that mean a 120GB+ drive will not work at all, or
    >will the drivers recognise less space than the drive actually has?

    The latter, but...since the driver does not support 48-bit LBA, it can
    only correctly address drives up to 127GB. If your driver and your
    disk's geometry don't sync...data corruption ensues.
    I had to learn this the hard way. I set up 506 on a 160gb disk, and
    the system appeared to run happily for some time before the
    filesystem started puking. Apparently there is some amount of inodes
    or megabytes after which you're in trouble.

    >I really don't care about losing some GB's on a 120GB+ drive, all I do
    >really need is no more than 40GB in the end as the current system occupies
    >less than 10GB.
    >If available, are the Caviar/Cavier-SE 40GB or 80GB models an option in
    >terms of functionality with wd506?

    Adaptec and Western Digital have posted on their respective websites
    advisories against pairing Caviar disks with Adaptec cards, as they
    tend to falsely report degraded arrays.
    If you like WD disks, stick with their "RAID Edition" models such as
    WD1600YS. If you specifically want small disks, go with a pair of 80gb
    Seagates.

  18. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Alan DePietro wrote in

    > [trying to reply to 3 posts with this 1]
    >
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:12:33 -0600, Marc Champagne wrote:
    >>> It's unlikely that you will require the wd506 BTLD if you use the
    >>> Adaptec 2410SA as you will use the driver for the 2410SA and not
    >>> the standard wd driver.

    >>Can anybody confirm this?

    > Yes, the "aacraid" driver is all the RAID card needs. However, you
    > should still load wd506 if you have a CD burner or REV drive.
    > "Other patches" = 506a (which should go without saying), oss648c for
    > CPU support, others as needed.

    Alright, starting to make sense now, we will try a 2410SA and see where
    it goes. As for patched, yes I will install needed ones.

    > ( Tangent: does patchchk run on 5.0.6 ? )

    Never heard of patchchk, can you expand on this?

    >> But if I get confirmation that HD size doesn't matter with a 2410SA
    >> Adaptec controller, then this won't really be a problem.

    > This is also the case. SCSI-based drivers generally do not have the
    > LBA limitation of 'wd' and 'wd506'. (see below)

    Great! I sort of knew this, just needed a pat on the back.

    >>> If you use disks larger than 120GB, You Will Lose.
    >>> (native "wd" and "wd506" do not support 48-bit LBA.)

    >>By "You Will Lose", does that mean a 120GB+ drive will not work at
    >>all, or will the drivers recognise less space than the drive actually
    >>has?

    > The latter, but...since the driver does not support 48-bit LBA, it can
    > only correctly address drives up to 127GB. If your driver and your
    > disk's geometry don't sync...data corruption ensues.
    > I had to learn this the hard way. I set up 506 on a 160gb disk, and
    > the system appeared to run happily for some time before the
    > filesystem started puking. Apparently there is some amount of inodes
    > or megabytes after which you're in trouble.

    Understood.

    >>I really don't care about losing some GB's on a 120GB+ drive, all I do
    >>really need is no more than 40GB in the end as the current system
    >>occupies less than 10GB.
    >>If available, are the Caviar/Cavier-SE 40GB or 80GB models an option
    >>in terms of functionality with wd506?

    > Adaptec and Western Digital have posted on their respective websites
    > advisories against pairing Caviar disks with Adaptec cards, as they
    > tend to falsely report degraded arrays.
    > If you like WD disks, stick with their "RAID Edition" models such as
    > WD1600YS. If you specifically want small disks, go with a pair of 80gb
    > Seagates.

    Caviar scratched, anyways that was to tackle a non Adaptec setup, which
    won't be the case.

    Thanks Alan, very appreciated
    Marc

  19. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Marc Champagne typed (on Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 02:14:32PM -0600):

    | > ( Tangent: does patchchk run on 5.0.6 ? )
    |

    | Never heard of patchchk, can you expand on this?

    Patchck is a lovely self-updating script released by SCO a couple of
    months ago (by engineers, not lawyers, BTW) to automate checking,
    fetching, and installing SCO patches (but not on 5.0.6, which is no
    longer a SCO-suppoerted OS).

    --
    JP

  20. Re: will SCO 5.0.6 Enterprise work on SATA

    Folks,

    So far, all is doing fine, had to restrain myself to a standard P4 with IDE
    to avoid problems with up-to-date hardware.

    Thanks all for you input, much appreciated!

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread