Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6 - SCO ; We have just move a Multi-User SCO FoxBASE+ 2.1.2 to OSR6 with MP3 installed. When we attempt to open any .dbf file we get "Exclusive lock failed". If we "set exclusive off" and try to open the file we see ...

  1. Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6

    We have just move a Multi-User SCO FoxBASE+ 2.1.2 to OSR6 with MP3
    installed.

    When we attempt to open any .dbf file we get "Exclusive lock failed".
    If we "set exclusive off" and try to open the file we see "File is in
    use by another. ".

    Currently "XEMUL_OSR5=1" is in the environment, but we also tried it
    without the variable set.

    Your thoughts will be appreciated.

    Steve Bacon

  2. Re: Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6

    On 11 Jan, 22:56, SteveB wrote:
    > We have just move a Multi-User SCO FoxBASE+ 2.1.2 to OSR6 with MP3
    > installed.
    >
    > When we attempt to open any .dbf file we get "Exclusive lock failed".
    > If we "set exclusive off" and try to open the file we see "File is in
    > use by another. ".
    >
    > Currently "XEMUL_OSR5=1" is in the environment, but we also tried it
    > without the variable set.
    >
    > Your thoughts will be appreciated.

    Steve,

    There is a bug in the fcntl(S) implementation of the xemul binary in
    MP3 that is
    causing this problem. The issue has been escalated to SCO Engineering
    and
    a beta fix has been made available via SCO Support.

    Please contact your SCO Support provider if you want to test a copy of
    of the fix.

    Regards,

    John

  3. Re: Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6

    On Jan 15, 12:20 pm, jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    > On 11 Jan, 22:56, SteveB wrote:
    >
    > > We have just move a Multi-User SCO FoxBASE+ 2.1.2 to OSR6 with MP3
    > > installed.

    > > When we attempt to open any .dbf file we get "Exclusive lock failed".
    > > If we "set exclusive off" and try to open the file we see "File is in
    > > use by another. ".

    > > Currently "XEMUL_OSR5=1" is in the environment, but we also tried it
    > > without the variable set.

    > > Your thoughts will be appreciated.

    > Steve,
    >
    > There is a bug in the fcntl(S) implementation of the xemul binary in
    > MP3 that is
    > causing this problem. The issue has been escalated to SCO Engineering
    > and
    > a beta fix has been made available via SCO Support.
    >
    > Please contact your SCO Support provider if you want to test a copy of
    > of the fix.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > John

    I was able to contact SCO (priority@sco.com) support and received a
    new copy of xemul which fixed the problem.

    It is no longer considered a "beta" and should be easily available to
    anyone.

    BTW thanks to John Boland for the heads up.

  4. Re: Foxbase file & record locking on OSR6

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    We have just move a Multi-User SCO FoxBASE+ 2.1.2 to OSR6 with MP3
    installed.

    When we attempt to open any .dbf file we get "Exclusive lock failed".
    If we "set exclusive off" and try to open the file we see "File is in
    use by another. ".

    Currently "XEMUL_OSR5=1" is in the environment, but we also tried it
    without the variable set.

    Your thoughts will be appreciated.

    Steve Bacon
    I just have similar problems, and it turns out to be caused by dbf file corruption. Unfortunately, there is no backup. I searched on net and used a tool called Advanced DBF Repair to repair my DBF database. It is a powerful tool and worked well for me, but it is not free, so can be used in the end.

    Just post to hope this may help.

+ Reply to Thread