VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP - SCO

This is a discussion on VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP - SCO ; I have VisionFS 3.10 running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 There are 3 NT workstations currently - all working for the past few years I am attempting to add a Windows XP workstation to the mix I made this workstation a ...

  1. VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP

    I have VisionFS 3.10 running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5

    There are 3 NT workstations currently - all working for the past few
    years

    I am attempting to add a Windows XP workstation to the mix
    I made this workstation a member of the same workgroup as the NT
    machines and am created a local account - same as the NT machines have
    I can log in fine -- I can see all the other workstations in the
    workgroup and I can see the VisionFS server in Network Neighborhood,
    etc - and I can access the shares on all the NT machines.

    However, when I try to access the Windows XP share from the NT
    machines I get prompted for a username/password - I attempt to enter
    the local username I have setup on all the PC's and it won't accept
    it . The SCO server also can't see the XP machine

    Any idea what I need to do differently on the XP workstation to get
    the SCO server to see it under /smb/root// name> ????

    Thanks for any input

    Scott
    sullmann@telespectrum.com

  2. Re: VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP

    On Nov 10, 12:16 am, scooter wrote:
    > I have VisionFS 3.10 running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
    >
    > There are 3 NT workstations currently - all working for the past few
    > years
    >
    > I am attempting to add a Windows XP workstation to the mix
    > I made this workstation a member of the same workgroup as the NT
    > machines and am created a local account - same as the NT machines have
    > I can log in fine -- I can see all the other workstations in the
    > workgroup and I can see the VisionFS server in Network Neighborhood,
    > etc - and I can access the shares on all the NT machines.
    >
    > However, when I try to access the Windows XP share from the NT
    > machines I get prompted for a username/password - I attempt to enter
    > the local username I have setup on all the PC's and it won't accept
    > it . The SCO server also can't see the XP machine
    >
    > Any idea what I need to do differently on the XP workstation to get
    > the SCO server to see it under /smb/root// > name> ????
    >
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > Scott
    > sullm...@telespectrum.com

    1) Check the firewall settings on XP.

    2) Is Vision up to date?

    3) Bring up the share in file explorer, tools -> folder options ->
    View,
    Uncheck "Use simple file sharing". The go up one level, right click
    and
    choose "Sharing and Security". Check the user permissions.

    Mike

  3. Re: VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:16:41 -0800, scooter
    wrote:

    >I have VisionFS 3.10 running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
    >
    >There are 3 NT workstations currently - all working for the past few
    >years
    >
    >I am attempting to add a Windows XP workstation to the mix
    >I made this workstation a member of the same workgroup as the NT
    >machines and am created a local account - same as the NT machines have
    >I can log in fine -- I can see all the other workstations in the
    >workgroup and I can see the VisionFS server in Network Neighborhood,
    >etc - and I can access the shares on all the NT machines.
    >
    >However, when I try to access the Windows XP share from the NT
    >machines I get prompted for a username/password - I attempt to enter
    >the local username I have setup on all the PC's and it won't accept
    >it . The SCO server also can't see the XP machine
    >
    >Any idea what I need to do differently on the XP workstation to get
    >the SCO server to see it under /smb/root// >name> ????
    >
    >Thanks for any input
    >
    >Scott
    >sullmann@telespectrum.com

    First, is this XP Pro or XP Home? If it is XP Home, you can stop now;
    it will not work.

    Check VisionFS for the type of password it is using: plain text or
    encrypted. If it is plain text, you will have to change XP to use
    plain text passwords (google for directions on how to do this). If it
    is encrpyted, check to see that XP is not using plain text, and set a
    network password in XP accrodingly.

    --
    Richard Seeder

  4. Re: VisionFS 3.1 and Windows XP

    wrote:

    >I have VisionFS 3.10 running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
    >
    >There are 3 NT workstations currently - all working for the past few
    >years
    >
    >I am attempting to add a Windows XP workstation to the mix
    >I made this workstation a member of the same workgroup as the NT
    >machines and am created a local account - same as the NT machines have
    >I can log in fine -- I can see all the other workstations in the
    >workgroup and I can see the VisionFS server in Network Neighborhood,
    >etc - and I can access the shares on all the NT machines.
    >
    >However, when I try to access the Windows XP share from the NT
    >machines I get prompted for a username/password - I attempt to enter
    >the local username I have setup on all the PC's and it won't accept
    >it . The SCO server also can't see the XP machine
    >
    >Any idea what I need to do differently on the XP workstation to get
    >the SCO server to see it under /smb/root// >name> ????
    >
    >Thanks for any input
    >
    >Scott
    >sullmann@telespectrum.com

    I had to make the changes outlined in
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....460289a3da771d
    to make VisionFS/XP "play nice".

    To my knowledge this will only work with VisionFS 3.10.9xx (or
    higher?)

    Scott McMillan

+ Reply to Thread