VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking - SCO

This is a discussion on VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking - SCO ; I am having lots of fun learning vmware server. I've done test installs of 5.0.5, 5.0.6. I installed a 5.0.6 virtual machine built on one CentOS 5 PC, and moved it with tarball to another host, installed, adjusted and ran ...

  1. VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    I am having lots of fun learning vmware server. I've done test
    installs of 5.0.5, 5.0.6. I installed a 5.0.6 virtual machine built on
    one CentOS 5 PC, and moved it with tarball to another host, installed,
    adjusted and ran it on new host. It's amazing!

    But I can't figure out how to make the network work. Minor detail I
    know. I've tried NAT, then installed an old Intel Pro 100 and manually
    installed that SCO driver. Nothing works and since SCO is UNSUPPORTED
    by VMWare, newbies are easily lost in vast canyons of information
    overload.

    Has anyone seen any how-tos on SCO OS as a guest OS on VMWare?

    Thanks

  2. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    Bob Meyers wrote:

    > I am having lots of fun learning vmware server. I've done test
    > installs of 5.0.5, 5.0.6. I installed a 5.0.6 virtual machine built on
    > one CentOS 5 PC, and moved it with tarball to another host, installed,
    > adjusted and ran it on new host. It's amazing!
    >
    > But I can't figure out how to make the network work. Minor detail I
    > know. I've tried NAT, then installed an old Intel Pro 100 and manually
    > installed that SCO driver. Nothing works and since SCO is UNSUPPORTED
    > by VMWare, newbies are easily lost in vast canyons of information
    > overload.
    >
    > Has anyone seen any how-tos on SCO OS as a guest OS on VMWare?

    I've got various stuff in progress. But you seem to have skipped all
    the hard stuff and moved on to something that I just never had any
    trouble with.

    The hard stuff is getting OSR5 _installed_ into a VMware VM, you run
    into trouble with SCSI and floppy drivers, among other things. It
    sounds like you hoisted an already-installed image into a VM instead of
    trying to ISL in the VM, thus side-stepping most of the trouble. Oh,
    also I'm mostly focused on ESX, which only emulates SCSI hard disks.
    Things are a bit easier on the VMware hosted products (Server,
    Workstation, ACE, Player), since they will emulate IDE hard disks.

    Anyway, for networking I usually just let ESX or Workstation provide the
    default(*) "vlance" emulation. OSR5's driver for that is "pnt". (*)The
    default NIC varies depending on what guest OS you claim you're going to
    install. I always claim a guest of "other/other (32-bit)", and the
    default for that is vlance.

    I'm pretty sure I've also tried the Intel Pro1000 emulation and had it
    work. The OSR5 driver for that is "eeG".

    Installing an OSR5-supported NIC into the host OS won't help. The guest
    OS has no visibility down to the host hardware; even if it ended up
    using the Pro/100 ("eeE"), it would do so through its "pnt" or "eeG"
    driver.

    I've set things up with either NAT or bridged networking in the virtual
    machine manager. With NAT, the virtualization environment provides DHCP
    service; guest OS should be set up as a DHCP client. With bridged
    networking you can either set the guest up as a DHCP client (it will
    talk to whatever DHCP service is available on the subnet it's routed
    to); or with a static IP address on the same subnet as the host
    (properly allocated from that subnet's IP range -- whether that simply
    means you take a mental note that ".75 is in use", add it to your DNS
    server, or whatever you normally do when you assign an address on your
    network).

    >Bela<

  3. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    Bob Meyers wrote:

    > OK, I'll hone a tip and try that. I think I have conceptual trouble
    > with a virt net device. It was super easy to install from the SCO
    > 5.0.6 media, using Ubuntu and Centos both. I just used conservative
    > IDE disk size remembering the chatter in here, 32GB SCO works fabulous
    > for my one foxpro application.

    Hmmm, yeah, my focus is too tightly on ESX. You avoided the SCSI driver
    fun because you used IDE disk emulation (not supported in ESX). You
    avoided the floppy fun because, since you were using IDE, you didn't
    need to BTLD an updated "blc" driver from a floppy...

    I bet your troubles with the net wil disappear once you get over the
    conceptualization...

    >Bela<

  4. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Nov 3, 9:27 pm, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> [...]

    > service; guest OS should be set up as a DHCP client. With bridged
    > networking you can either set the guest up as a DHCP client (it will
    > talk to whatever DHCP service is available on the subnet it's routed
    > to); or with a static IP address on the same subnet as the host
    > (properly allocated from that subnet's IP range -- whether that simply
    > means you take a mental note that ".75 is in use", add it to your DNS
    > server, or whatever you normally do when you assign an address on your
    > network).
    >
    > >Bela<

    OK, I'll hone a tip and try that. I think I have conceptual trouble
    with a virt net device. It was super easy to install from the SCO
    5.0.6 media, using Ubuntu and Centos both. I just used conservative
    IDE disk size remembering the chatter in here, 32GB SCO works fabulous

  5. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Nov 4, 6:36 pm, Bob Meyers wrote:

    I should add, first I installed 5.0.5+patches because it was handy on
    Ubuntu. Then I installed 5.0.6+patches+skunkware on CentOS. Then I
    just tarballed up the SCO 5.0.6 install on Centos, ftp'd it to Ubuntu,
    imported into Ubuntu vmware server, tweaked settings and it runs on
    Ubuntu, its great. Very cool. It really is like moving around virtual
    servers.

  6. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Nov 4, 4:47 pm, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Bob Meyers wrote:
    > > OK, I'll hone a tip and try that. I think I have conceptual trouble
    > > with a virt net device. It was super easy to install from the SCO
    > > 5.0.6 media, using Ubuntu and Centos both. I just used conservative
    > > IDE disk size remembering the chatter in here, 32GB SCO works fabulous
    > > for my one foxpro application.

    > Hmmm, yeah, my focus is too tightly on ESX. You avoided the SCSI driver
    > fun because you used IDE disk emulation (not supported in ESX). You
    > avoided the floppy fun because, since you were using IDE, you didn't
    > need to BTLD an updated "blc" driver from a floppy...
    >
    > I bet your troubles with the net wil disappear once you get over the
    > conceptualization...
    >
    > >Bela<

    I have a correction. I did not select IDE, SCO selected it for me. I
    am running it on a SATA 300GB drive. Working with SATA is great so
    far. I love being stupid, no jumpers, just match connectors and plug
    them in, and they work. The bios and the grub loader both allow me to
    select which drive I want to use for boot, on the fly.

  7. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Sat, Nov 03, 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >The hard stuff is getting OSR5 _installed_ into a VMware VM, you run
    >into trouble with SCSI and floppy drivers, among other things. It
    >sounds like you hoisted an already-installed image into a VM instead of
    >trying to ISL in the VM, thus side-stepping most of the trouble. Oh,
    >also I'm mostly focused on ESX, which only emulates SCSI hard disks.
    >Things are a bit easier on the VMware hosted products (Server,
    >Workstation, ACE, Player), since they will emulate IDE hard disks.

    I've just started working with the VMware Server on CentOS 5,
    with OSR 5.0.6a installed and things seem to be working
    reasonably well although I have some trouble getting keyboard
    control out of the console. The CTRL-ALT sequences usually do
    nothing on the X11 console, and I have completely lost control
    when running the vmware x-client from a Mac X11 session (PPC Mac
    Mini, not an Intel based Mac).

    >Anyway, for networking I usually just let ESX or Workstation provide the
    >default(*) "vlance" emulation. OSR5's driver for that is "pnt". (*)The
    >default NIC varies depending on what guest OS you claim you're going to
    >install. I always claim a guest of "other/other (32-bit)", and the
    >default for that is vlance.
    >
    >I'm pretty sure I've also tried the Intel Pro1000 emulation and had it
    >work. The OSR5 driver for that is "eeG".

    What other NIC emulations are available? One of the systems I
    would like to run under VMware is an old Oracle system which is
    now running on a UnixWare 2.x system, circa 1994. I doubt that
    it supports any PCI drivers as PCI wasn't too common then. The
    most common cards (other than NE2000s) were 3COM 3C509 and
    perhaps some SMCs.

    Bill

    Things in our country run in spite of government. Not by aid of it!
    Will Rogers

  8. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > >The hard stuff is getting OSR5 _installed_ into a VMware VM, you run
    > >into trouble with SCSI and floppy drivers, among other things. It
    > >sounds like you hoisted an already-installed image into a VM instead of
    > >trying to ISL in the VM, thus side-stepping most of the trouble. Oh,
    > >also I'm mostly focused on ESX, which only emulates SCSI hard disks.
    > >Things are a bit easier on the VMware hosted products (Server,
    > >Workstation, ACE, Player), since they will emulate IDE hard disks.

    > I've just started working with the VMware Server on CentOS 5,
    > with OSR 5.0.6a installed and things seem to be working
    > reasonably well although I have some trouble getting keyboard
    > control out of the console. The CTRL-ALT sequences usually do
    > nothing on the X11 console, and I have completely lost control
    > when running the vmware x-client from a Mac X11 session (PPC Mac
    > Mini, not an Intel based Mac).

    Change the it from CTRL-ALT to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT. That is what I have done.
    Then you can use the swquence.

    > >Anyway, for networking I usually just let ESX or Workstation provide the
    > >default(*) "vlance" emulation. OSR5's driver for that is "pnt". (*)The
    > >default NIC varies depending on what guest OS you claim you're going to
    > >install. I always claim a guest of "other/other (32-bit)", and the
    > >default for that is vlance.
    > >
    > >I'm pretty sure I've also tried the Intel Pro1000 emulation and had it
    > >work. The OSR5 driver for that is "eeG".

    > What other NIC emulations are available? One of the systems I
    > would like to run under VMware is an old Oracle system which is
    > now running on a UnixWare 2.x system, circa 1994. I doubt that
    > it supports any PCI drivers as PCI wasn't too common then. The
    > most common cards (other than NE2000s) were 3COM 3C509 and
    > perhaps some SMCs.

    I find the Intel Pro1000 to be the most reliable. That is what I am
    using. I have UnixWare 2.x as well most SCO OS's now in VMware. Also 8
    distributions of linux, 10 UNIX variants non-sco. The work well. I think
    I am using a 3COM of some sort. I have also used the SMC cards. It was a
    real pain getting the earlier SCO versions working. I do not remember
    how. I never could get my XENIX 3.2v4 I think working. The XENIX is the
    last version released by SCO(Pre 2000).

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  9. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    Bill Campbell wrote:

    > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > >The hard stuff is getting OSR5 _installed_ into a VMware VM, you run
    > >into trouble with SCSI and floppy drivers, among other things. It
    > >sounds like you hoisted an already-installed image into a VM instead of
    > >trying to ISL in the VM, thus side-stepping most of the trouble. Oh,
    > >also I'm mostly focused on ESX, which only emulates SCSI hard disks.
    > >Things are a bit easier on the VMware hosted products (Server,
    > >Workstation, ACE, Player), since they will emulate IDE hard disks.

    > I've just started working with the VMware Server on CentOS 5,
    > with OSR 5.0.6a installed and things seem to be working
    > reasonably well although I have some trouble getting keyboard
    > control out of the console. The CTRL-ALT sequences usually do
    > nothing on the X11 console, and I have completely lost control
    > when running the vmware x-client from a Mac X11 session (PPC Mac
    > Mini, not an Intel based Mac).

    You're using one of the Hosted virtualization products; they support IDE
    emulation, which is easier than SCSI. (Purely due to specific details
    of OSR5's SCSI drivers for BusLogic & LSI Logic HBAs.)

    > >Anyway, for networking I usually just let ESX or Workstation provide the
    > >default(*) "vlance" emulation. OSR5's driver for that is "pnt". (*)The
    > >default NIC varies depending on what guest OS you claim you're going to
    > >install. I always claim a guest of "other/other (32-bit)", and the
    > >default for that is vlance.
    > >
    > >I'm pretty sure I've also tried the Intel Pro1000 emulation and had it
    > >work. The OSR5 driver for that is "eeG".

    > What other NIC emulations are available? One of the systems I
    > would like to run under VMware is an old Oracle system which is
    > now running on a UnixWare 2.x system, circa 1994. I doubt that
    > it supports any PCI drivers as PCI wasn't too common then. The
    > most common cards (other than NE2000s) were 3COM 3C509 and
    > perhaps some SMCs.

    It probably has a driver for the AMD NIC. It was one of the very first
    PCI NICs on the market, and OSes glommed onto it quickly since it was
    99% compatible with older AMD ISA NIC chips -- the ISA driver only
    needed minor tweaks to step up to PCI. Survey says:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5f78ecc2dc0ea3
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...ts/pcnet_1.pdf

    Should work even on UW 1.1 systems.

    >Bela<

  10. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Wed, Mar 26, 2008, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Campbell wrote:
    >> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >> >The hard stuff is getting OSR5 _installed_ into a VMware VM, you run
    >> >into trouble with SCSI and floppy drivers, among other things. It
    >> >sounds like you hoisted an already-installed image into a VM instead of
    >> >trying to ISL in the VM, thus side-stepping most of the trouble. Oh,
    >> >also I'm mostly focused on ESX, which only emulates SCSI hard disks.
    >> >Things are a bit easier on the VMware hosted products (Server,
    >> >Workstation, ACE, Player), since they will emulate IDE hard disks.

    >> I've just started working with the VMware Server on CentOS 5,
    >> with OSR 5.0.6a installed and things seem to be working
    >> reasonably well although I have some trouble getting keyboard
    >> control out of the console. The CTRL-ALT sequences usually do
    >> nothing on the X11 console, and I have completely lost control
    >> when running the vmware x-client from a Mac X11 session (PPC Mac
    >> Mini, not an Intel based Mac).

    >Change the it from CTRL-ALT to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT. That is what I have done.
    >Then you can use the swquence.

    Thanks. That works nicely, at least on the CentOS console. I
    haven't tried it from my OS X system under X11.

    >> >Anyway, for networking I usually just let ESX or Workstation provide the
    >> >default(*) "vlance" emulation. OSR5's driver for that is "pnt". (*)The
    >> >default NIC varies depending on what guest OS you claim you're going to
    >> >install. I always claim a guest of "other/other (32-bit)", and the
    >> >default for that is vlance.
    >> >
    >> >I'm pretty sure I've also tried the Intel Pro1000 emulation and had it
    >> >work. The OSR5 driver for that is "eeG".

    >> What other NIC emulations are available? One of the systems I
    >> would like to run under VMware is an old Oracle system which is
    >> now running on a UnixWare 2.x system, circa 1994. I doubt that
    >> it supports any PCI drivers as PCI wasn't too common then. The
    >> most common cards (other than NE2000s) were 3COM 3C509 and
    >> perhaps some SMCs.

    >I find the Intel Pro1000 to be the most reliable. That is what I am
    >using. I have UnixWare 2.x as well most SCO OS's now in VMware. Also 8
    >distributions of linux, 10 UNIX variants non-sco. The work well. I think
    >I am using a 3COM of some sort. I have also used the SMC cards. It was a
    >real pain getting the earlier SCO versions working. I do not remember
    >how. I never could get my XENIX 3.2v4 I think working. The XENIX is the
    >last version released by SCO(Pre 2000).

    Once I get a round tuit on UnixWare, I will probably be looking
    for more information on this.

    Right now I'm trying to figure out why postgresql wants more semaphores
    even though I've maxed them out with /etc/conf/cf.d/configure.

    Bill

    Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists. -- Richard Feynman

  11. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >>> I've just started working with the VMware Server on CentOS 5,
    >>> with OSR 5.0.6a installed and things seem to be working
    >>> reasonably well although I have some trouble getting keyboard
    >>> control out of the console. The CTRL-ALT sequences usually do
    >>> nothing on the X11 console, and I have completely lost control
    >>> when running the vmware x-client from a Mac X11 session (PPC Mac
    >>> Mini, not an Intel based Mac).

    >> Change the it from CTRL-ALT to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT. That is what I have done.
    >> Then you can use the swquence.

    > Thanks. That works nicely, at least on the CentOS console. I
    > haven't tried it from my OS X system under X11.

    >>> What other NIC emulations are available? One of the systems I
    >>> would like to run under VMware is an old Oracle system which is
    >>> now running on a UnixWare 2.x system, circa 1994. I doubt that
    >>> it supports any PCI drivers as PCI wasn't too common then. The
    >>> most common cards (other than NE2000s) were 3COM 3C509 and
    >>> perhaps some SMCs.

    >> I find the Intel Pro1000 to be the most reliable. That is what I am
    >> using. I have UnixWare 2.x as well most SCO OS's now in VMware. Also 8
    >> distributions of linux, 10 UNIX variants non-sco. The work well. I think
    >> I am using a 3COM of some sort. I have also used the SMC cards. It was a
    >> real pain getting the earlier SCO versions working. I do not remember
    >> how. I never could get my XENIX 3.2v4 I think working. The XENIX is the
    >> last version released by SCO(Pre 2000).

    > Once I get a round tuit on UnixWare, I will probably be looking
    > for more information on this.
    >
    > Right now I'm trying to figure out why postgresql wants more semaphores
    > even though I've maxed them out with /etc/conf/cf.d/configure.

    Bill,

    I've found that if an application needs you to increase the number
    of semaphores, you need to also increase the semaphore undo structures:

    SEMMNU: number of semaphore undo structures.
    The current value is: 150 (normally: 30)

    My rule of thumb is to set the system so that you run out of semaphores
    before you run out of semaphore undo structures.

    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists. -- Richard Feynman

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  12. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    On Wed, Mar 26, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >Bill Campbell wrote:

    >> Right now I'm trying to figure out why postgresql wants more semaphores
    >> even though I've maxed them out with /etc/conf/cf.d/configure.

    >Bill,
    >
    >I've found that if an application needs you to increase the number
    >of semaphores, you need to also increase the semaphore undo structures:
    >
    >SEMMNU: number of semaphore undo structures.
    >The current value is: 150 (normally: 30)

    I had already set this to 100, the max before configure starts
    complaining.

    When I tried setting this to 150, /etc/conf/cf.d/configure
    bitches about it having a max value of 100 if I use the short
    method ``./configure SEMMNU=150'', but I can override it in the
    interactive mode (OSR 5.0.6a).

    >My rule of thumb is to set the system so that you run out of semaphores
    >before you run out of semaphore undo structures.

    I have tried a multitude of options. My current stune is attached.

    Bill

    Currencies do not float, they sink at different rates.

  13. Re: VMware, Ubuntu host with OS5.0.6 guest OS, networking

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> Bill Campbell wrote:

    >>> Right now I'm trying to figure out why postgresql wants more semaphores
    >>> even though I've maxed them out with /etc/conf/cf.d/configure.

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> I've found that if an application needs you to increase the number
    >> of semaphores, you need to also increase the semaphore undo structures:
    >>
    >> SEMMNU: number of semaphore undo structures.
    >> The current value is: 150 (normally: 30)

    > I had already set this to 100, the max before configure starts
    > complaining.
    >
    > When I tried setting this to 150, /etc/conf/cf.d/configure
    > bitches about it having a max value of 100 if I use the short
    > method ``./configure SEMMNU=150'', but I can override it in the
    > interactive mode (OSR 5.0.6a).
    >
    >> My rule of thumb is to set the system so that you run out of semaphores
    >> before you run out of semaphore undo structures.

    > I have tried a multitude of options. My current stune is attached.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > Currencies do not float, they sink at different rates.

    > NODE "vmware01"
    > EVDEVS 96
    > EVQUEUES 88
    > NSPTTYS 64
    > NUMSP 256
    > NSTREAM 4096
    > NHINODE 1024
    > GPGSLO 2000
    > GPGSHI 6000
    > PLOWBUFS 1024
    > NSTRPAGES 6000
    > TTHOG 4096
    > NCLIST 512
    > NSTREVENT 8192
    > NUMTIM 1040
    > NUMTRW 1040
    > SECLUID 0
    > SECSTOPIO 1
    > SECCLEARID 1
    > SHMMAX 1500000
    > SEMMAP 80
    > SEMMNI 80
    > SEMMNU 160
    > SHMALL 15360

    On my 5.0.7 I have these values in mtune:

    * Semaphore Parameters
    SEMMAP 10 10 8192
    SEMMNI 10 10 8192
    SEMMNS 60 60 8192
    SEMMNU 30 10 8192
    SEMMSL 25 25 150
    SEMOPM 10 10 1024
    SEMUME 10 10 25
    SEMVMX 32767 32767 32767
    SEMAEM 16384 16384 16384
    * Shared Memory Parameters
    SHMMAX 524288 131072 2147483647
    SHMMIN 1 1 1
    SHMMNI 100 100 2000

    And I find this in mtune on a 5.0.6 system:
    * Semaphore Parameters
    SEMMAP 10 10 8192
    SEMMNI 10 10 8192
    SEMMNS 60 60 8192
    SEMMNU 30 10 100
    SEMMSL 25 25 150
    SEMOPM 10 10 10
    SEMUME 10 10 10
    SEMVMX 32767 32767 32767
    SEMAEM 16384 16384 16384
    * Shared Memory Parameters
    SHMMAX 524288 131072 2147483647
    SHMMIN 1 1 1
    SHMMNI 100 100 2000

    So from the above, SEMNU on 5.0.7 has been
    bumped to 8192 and is equal to the max
    for SEMMAP and SEMNI. So your value of 80 is a long
    way from the maximum for Semaphores.

    I'd edit mtune and raise the maximum for SEMMNU to
    8192, then bump your 80's to 160 and match SMMNU.

    If you still have a problem, double them all to 320.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

+ Reply to Thread