SCSI Tape not detected Openserver 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on SCSI Tape not detected Openserver 6 - SCO ; I have Openserver 6, with all updated maintenance packs installed. I have installed an Adaptec 2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller attached to an H.P. Storage Works DAT 40 external tape drive. This is the only device running SCSI, no hard disks. ...

  1. SCSI Tape not detected Openserver 6

    I have Openserver 6, with all updated maintenance packs installed.

    I have installed an Adaptec 2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller attached to an
    H.P. Storage Works DAT 40
    external tape drive. This is the only device running SCSI, no hard
    disks. The drive and controller are recognized at boot. The device is
    on SCSI ID 3.

    Under 5.0.x I used to run the mkdev tape command and setup the device.
    However, under Openserver 6 when I run mkdev tape it tells me that
    tape devices are configured automatically when the system is booted.
    Really? Could have fooled me. It tells me to see st01(7) for
    information about tape drive device nodes. Again, Really? And just
    where is this secret information? Doing a man sto1 reveals nothing as
    to how to setup a tape drive. Nothing on the SCO web site, imagine
    that.

    If anyone has the secret recipe to install a simple SCSI tape drive I
    would be most appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: SCSI Tape not detected Openserver 6

    On Nov 2, 9:29 pm, unixfox wrote:
    > I have Openserver 6, with all updated maintenance packs installed.
    >
    > I have installed an Adaptec 2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller attached to an
    > H.P. Storage Works DAT 40
    > external tape drive. This is the only device running SCSI, no hard
    > disks. The drive and controller are recognized at boot. The device is
    > on SCSI ID 3.
    >
    > Under 5.0.x I used to run the mkdev tape command and setup the device.
    > However, under Openserver 6 when I run mkdev tape it tells me that
    > tape devices are configured automatically when the system is booted.
    > Really? Could have fooled me. It tells me to see st01(7) for
    > information about tape drive device nodes. Again, Really? And just
    > where is this secret information? Doing a man sto1 reveals nothing as
    > to how to setup a tape drive. Nothing on the SCO web site, imagine
    > that.
    >
    > If anyone has the secret recipe to install a simple SCSI tape drive I
    > would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I suspect the tape drive is not autodetected because the HBA drivers
    for the 2940 are not present. What does a "sdiconfig -l" show?

    UW7 and OSR6 do not load every possible HBA at install time, so when a
    new piece of HW is added later the driver must also be loaded.

    Relevant magic spell is in TA #126185, one incantation is usually
    enough.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread