SSH, Open Server, and Sprint - SCO

This is a discussion on SSH, Open Server, and Sprint - SCO ; Wondering if someone can share some insight: * SCO OS 6, in my office * OpenSSH sshd 4.2 * UseDNS turned off in sshd_config * In-office firewall and router, configured to allow SSH through to SCO box * Sprint cell-modem ...

  1. SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    Wondering if someone can share some insight:

    * SCO OS 6, in my office
    * OpenSSH sshd 4.2
    * UseDNS turned off in sshd_config
    * In-office firewall and router, configured to allow SSH through to SCO
    box
    * Sprint cell-modem provides Internet access
    * Windows XP (Tablet) attempting a connection via SSH, using either Anzio
    or PuTTY, fails. No complaints on console. I establish a socket
    connection, but then no SSH traffic.

    If I disconnect the cell-modem, and connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot in a coffee
    shop (not on my LAN), I connect fine.

    Any ideas?

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  2. Re: SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    All I can say is I use my cell phone with sprint (sometimes evdo, sometimes
    plain cdma, depends on coverage) and ssh to sco/linux/freebsd boxes from my
    laptop through the phone all the time with no problems other than the
    general slowness and occasional pauses and occoasional connection drops that
    is just part of the cell data network.

    I have about the same level of reliability and speed whether I am using any
    of these 4 methods:

    * laptop - bluetooth - phone, using only ntive windows and palmos bluetoth
    DUN support.

    * laptop - bluetooth - phone, using PDANet

    * laptop - usb - phone, using PDANet

    * phone directly, using pssh and tgssh palmos ssh clients right on the
    phone.

    In all cases sshing to a sco/linux/freebsd box on the net works fine,
    however it's not uncommon for the initial login to take several seconds
    while ssh is negotiating the initial key & fingerprints exchange.

    In all cases it's not uncommon for the connection to freeze for for many
    seconds at random times and for varying lengths of time.

    I'm using a treo700p palmos pda which has sprint and evdo, not a real sprint
    pc card, and Windows XP Home & Windows Vista Business.

    I don't think I've connected to an osr6 machine this way, just various
    versions of osr5, linux & freebsd, and various versions of openssh on the
    server end, and usually putty on the client end though I have used Anziolite
    & AnzioWin too.

    And, I do use this frequently and often for several hours, not just once or
    once in a while.
    And I have been doing the same thing starting 5 or 6 years ago with a
    Samsung sch-i300 and plain serial cable and special sprint dialer software,
    to usb with pdanet on the treo600, then same on treo650, now usb and
    bluetooth on the treo700p.

    So, I don't think sprint is blocking you.

    Can you ssh to other hosts besides the problem osr6 box?
    (I can provide some test addresses privately if you want)

    Can you ssh to the problem box with sshd listening on a non-standard port?
    (not 22)

    > Wondering if someone can share some insight:
    >
    > * SCO OS 6, in my office
    > * OpenSSH sshd 4.2
    > * UseDNS turned off in sshd_config
    > * In-office firewall and router, configured to allow SSH through to SCO
    > box
    > * Sprint cell-modem provides Internet access
    > * Windows XP (Tablet) attempting a connection via SSH, using either Anzio
    > or PuTTY, fails. No complaints on console. I establish a socket
    > connection, but then no SSH traffic.
    >
    > If I disconnect the cell-modem, and connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot in a coffee
    > shop (not on my LAN), I connect fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards,
    > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    >
    > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > web: http://www.anzio.com

  3. Re: SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    Bob Rasmussen typed (on Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 01:10:04PM -0700):
    | Wondering if someone can share some insight:
    |
    | * SCO OS 6, in my office
    | * OpenSSH sshd 4.2
    | * UseDNS turned off in sshd_config
    | * In-office firewall and router, configured to allow SSH through to SCO
    | box
    | * Sprint cell-modem provides Internet access
    | * Windows XP (Tablet) attempting a connection via SSH, using either Anzio
    | or PuTTY, fails. No complaints on console. I establish a socket
    | connection, but then no SSH traffic.
    |
    | If I disconnect the cell-modem, and connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot in a coffee
    | shop (not on my LAN), I connect fine.
    |
    | Any ideas?

    No clues in syslog?

    --
    JP

  4. Re: SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    Thanks, Brian, see below.

    On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Brian K. White wrote:

    > All I can say is I use my cell phone with sprint (sometimes evdo, sometimes
    > plain cdma, depends on coverage) and ssh to sco/linux/freebsd boxes from my
    > laptop through the phone all the time with no problems other than the
    > general slowness and occasional pauses and occoasional connection drops that
    > is just part of the cell data network.
    > Can you ssh to other hosts besides the problem osr6 box?
    > (I can provide some test addresses privately if you want)

    Can do.

    > Can you ssh to the problem box with sshd listening on a non-standard port?
    > (not 22)

    Haven't tried yet.

    I have a workaround (for the filePro conference), where I connect to a
    different box and from there to SCO.

    BTW, I notice that MP3 is available from SCO, with today's date. But I
    don't think I'll install it before I leave town!

    One other thing, Brian. I have been curious about the modem capabilities
    on cell phones (which I also have). Do you have to have a data account
    with your cell provider, and dial in to them? Or can you dial into any
    modem? Please explain.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  5. Re: SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > Wondering if someone can share some insight:
    >
    > * SCO OS 6, in my office
    > * OpenSSH sshd 4.2
    > * UseDNS turned off in sshd_config
    > * In-office firewall and router, configured to allow SSH through to SCO
    > box
    > * Sprint cell-modem provides Internet access
    > * Windows XP (Tablet) attempting a connection via SSH, using either Anzio
    > or PuTTY, fails. No complaints on console. I establish a socket
    > connection, but then no SSH traffic.
    >
    > If I disconnect the cell-modem, and connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot in a coffee
    > shop (not on my LAN), I connect fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    What's your Venturi set at? All kinds of wierdness can happen if you have it off
    for webpages and the like and if you have it on for other things like this.

    It used to be on a separate tab, but they moved it last year. My laptop is still
    on the way home from Vegas so I can't look at it right now...

  6. Re: SSH, Open Server, and Sprint

    > On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Brian K. White wrote:
    >
    >> All I can say is I use my cell phone with sprint (sometimes evdo,
    >> sometimes
    >> plain cdma, depends on coverage) and ssh to sco/linux/freebsd boxes from
    >> my
    >> laptop through the phone all the time with no problems other than the
    >> general slowness and occasional pauses and occoasional connection drops
    >> that
    >> is just part of the cell data network.
    >> Can you ssh to other hosts besides the problem osr6 box?
    >> (I can provide some test addresses privately if you want)

    > Can do.
    >

    >> Can you ssh to the problem box with sshd listening on a non-standard
    >> port?
    >> (not 22)

    > Haven't tried yet.
    >
    > I have a workaround (for the filePro conference), where I connect to a
    > different box and from there to SCO.
    >
    > BTW, I notice that MP3 is available from SCO, with today's date. But I
    > don't think I'll install it before I leave town!
    >
    > One other thing, Brian. I have been curious about the modem capabilities
    > on cell phones (which I also have). Do you have to have a data account
    > with your cell provider, and dial in to them? Or can you dial into any
    > modem? Please explain.

    (already replied privately by accident)

    The modem capabilities and method of usage seems to vary with each
    individual phone model.
    back around 2000 to 2002 I had my first,last,only cell that wasn't a palmos
    pda of some sort.
    Samsung sch-3500.

    That one had a kit you could buy that had a serial cable, a female-female
    serial adapter (don't know if it was just a gender changer or also a
    null-modem) and a sprint dialer program.
    The dialer program got you on the internet, and I think it provided a modem
    driver too, but whether it did or not, you could just use the serial port
    directly with standard AT commands common to most modems. So in that case,
    the phone actually had a hardware serial port and the phone implimented a
    modem in hardware or firmware. You could use the special cable to connect to
    any pc, any OS, and pretend the phone was a standard modem.

    I did used to direct dial with that phone both plain serial no-ppp dialup,
    and ppp in to a few 506 boxes. I just tld windows to use the sprint supplied
    modem driver or a generic modm driver on the relevant serial port and told
    anzio to use that modem. nothing too unusual. But I don't remember the last
    time I did that or if I ever did it on any newer phone after that one, and I
    don't think I even have any boxes set up to receive direct dialup any more
    to try it.

    Ever since then my phones all happened to be some kind of palmos pda so my
    experience may not be typical wrt to data and modem functionality. I know
    that today, to get on the internet I need to use either usbmodem or pdanet
    or the built-in bluetooth DUN support in windows. In all 3 cases there is
    software running on both palmos and on windows that work together to provide
    a virtual serial port to windows.
    Even if it turned out that I could use that fake serial port directly like a
    plain modem to dial arbitrary numbers instead of getting onto sprints data
    network, that would still only apply to phones that run palmos and connect
    to windows via usb or bluetooth.
    For any other phone, it probably depends of the individual phone. My first
    phone just happened to specifically sport that ability as one of it's
    advertised features. And in that case the way it was implimented was the
    phone itself had real serial hardware and emulated a modem attached to it in
    hardware/firmware, so on the windows side you didn't need anything special
    (and so, didn't really need windows for that matter). Today, who knows which
    current phones can do it and/or how it's implimented? But it probably varies
    from phone to phone, and probably carrier to carrier too.

    I also always had some kind of data plan even on that first non-pda phone
    (Samsung sch-3500 was actually a limited wap/email capable phone) so I don't
    know if the modem ever works without a data plan. That would be interesting
    to know if you could provide yourself with your own PPP connection to a
    linux/unix/bsd box at home or work and it would just use your normal cell
    minutes without getting any form of data plan.