INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly - Openserver 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly - Openserver 6 - SCO ; I just installed a fresh new version of Openserver 6. I also installed all of the Maintanance packs and recommended patches. Everything boots fine. However, once it gets to login, it will rapidly scroll the login on the console about ...

  1. INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly - Openserver 6

    I just installed a fresh new version of Openserver 6. I also installed
    all of the Maintanance packs and recommended patches.

    Everything boots fine. However, once it gets to login, it will rapidly
    scroll the login on the console about 6 times then stop and I get this
    error:

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: c01 "/etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m"

    I can't do anything from that screen when this happens. If I go to ALT
    F2 to get another screen I can login fine.

    Has anybody seen this?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly - Openserver 6

    On Nov 1, 2:55 pm, unixfox wrote:
    > I just installed a fresh new version of Openserver 6. I also installed
    > all of the Maintanance packs and recommended patches.
    >
    > Everything boots fine. However, once it gets to login, it will rapidly
    > scroll the login on the console about 6 times then stop and I get this
    > error:
    >
    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c01 "/etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m"
    >
    > I can't do anything from that screen when this happens. If I go to ALT
    > F2 to get another screen I can login fine.
    >
    > Has anybody seen this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    1. Check the entry in /etc/inittab (the line beginning with "c01:").
    A typo in that line would produce the symptoms you report. If there
    is an error in the entry, you also need to fix /etc/conf/init.d/kernel
    which is used to rebuild the /etc/inittab file.

    2. /usr/adm/messages may have more information about the problem.

    3. Something may have been done to corrupt /etc/ioctl.syscon. Check
    TA 103157 in SCO's KnowledgeBase (http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/search) for
    how to repair it.

    --RLR

  3. Re: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly - Openserver 6

    On Nov 1, 1:55 pm, unixfox wrote:
    > I just installed a fresh new version of Openserver 6. I also installed
    > all of the Maintanance packs and recommended patches.

    I just installed OSR6 and the same thing occurred.. I installed some
    patches (osr600mp3) and it hasn't repeated.

    Canie

    > Everything boots fine. However, once it gets to login, it will rapidly
    > scroll the login on the console about 6 times then stop and I get this
    > error:
    >
    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c01 "/etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m"
    >
    > I can't do anything from that screen when this happens. If I go to ALT
    > F2 to get another screen I can login fine.
    >
    > Has anybody seen this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

+ Reply to Thread