DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE - SCO

This is a discussion on DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE - SCO ; I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then ...

  1. DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to
    copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it to a
    disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.

    HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    windows.

  2. Re: DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:12:30 -0400, "Ron Kirschner"
    wrote:

    >I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    >currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to
    >copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it to a
    >disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    >installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.
    >
    >HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    >windows.

    LoneTar - http://www.cactus.com/
    BackupEdge - http://www.microlite.com/

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    In article , Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    >currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to
    >copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it to a
    >disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    >installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.
    >
    >HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    >windows.

    BackupEdge and LoneTar will both do this. You can start at the
    lowest level and have it recognize the new controller and then just
    restore the backup. You don't have to install any of the OS to do
    this.

    Check the docs for both programs. I'm surprised you don't have one
    or the other and haven't seen this.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    Ron Kirschner wrote:
    > I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    > currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to
    > copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it toa
    > disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    > installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.
    >
    > HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    > windows.

    As pointed out in other replies: Backup Edge from Microlite or LoneTar from
    Cactus are backup programs that backup, verify, and restore the entire contents
    of a system's mounted file systems. They both provide recovery tools to
    boot a system with new hard disks and restore a full system backup to
    the new drive(s).

    I have personally used Backup Edge to move an SCO 5.0.7 system from a
    SuperMicro based system with RAID on an Adaptec RAID controller to
    an HP ML350 with HP Smart Array 641 RAID controller (ciss driver).

    Do not rely on the ability to boot the backup software with boot time
    loadable drivers. Instead, install the drivers for the new RAID controller
    on the running system and perform the steps to "add a disk on the new
    RAID controller" to relink the kernel with the new RAID controller's
    drivers.

    Then install Microlite Backup Edge and select the option to make the RE2
    boot media on CD. If you don't have a CD writer on this system, just copy
    the resulting ISO image to a system that can burn an ISO image to a cd.

    Use Backup Edge to create a full system backup to tape or DVD writer or
    FTP repository. Test restoring selected files from the backup image
    to an alternate location (like /tmp/* files to /tmp/tmp/*). Then when
    you are satisfied that you know how to use the software to retrieve
    the backup, install your new RAID controller, boot the RE2 media
    and verify that the kernel "sees" the new RAID controller before
    you use the RAID controller firmware to create a RAID array using
    your existing hard drives.

    A better strategy would be to plan to set up the RAID with all
    new hard disks, preserving your existing disks should your
    first attempt fail and you have to revert to the non-RAID controller
    to get the system back up while you determine what went wrong.

    Next, boot the RE2 media with the string: "defbootstr Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0)."
    (That's the Smart Array 641 driver, use whatever driver is specific
    for your hardware.) From the RE2 menu, choose ”Automatic” to begin
    automatic setup of the hard disk fdisk partitions and UNIX division
    tables. Automatic will mount the newly created partitions and
    restore the full system backup.

    I have had the "Automatic" recovery fail when the disk geometry of
    the new disk (RAID) is different or available disk space is smaller
    on the new array. In that case, you will need to be able to
    manually create your divvy table entries as required to fit your
    file systems on the new hardware. The tools to do this exist on
    the RE2 media. Good luck.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  5. Re: DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    I normally use UnixWare and use the emergency recovery diskettes and tapes
    for that. Can't see the same thing in Open Server.

    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:Jq0Jr6.1pDo@wjv.com...
    > In article , Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >>I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    >>currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way
    >>copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it to a
    >>disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    >>installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.
    >>
    >>HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    >>windows.
    >>

    > BackupEdge and LoneTar will both do this. You can start at the
    > lowest level and have it recognize the new controller and then just
    > restore the backup. You don't have to install any of the OS to do
    > this.
    >
    > Check the docs for both programs. I'm surprised you don't have one
    > or the other and haven't seen this.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: DISC IMAGE OSR5.0.7 TO TAPE

    The old fashioned way is the best way to do.
    Just make a backup with cpio to tape for each filesystem.
    Use root boot disk to start your system.
    Then read the tape and set your backup back into the system.

    But in your case it doesn't work, because the harware is different.
    The boot/root disk has no intention to find your drives, because it's
    has an different driver. Therefor you have tot reinstall your system at
    minimum requirements. When your drives are found, you can make a restore
    to the rest of your system.
    Be carefull, don't restore your old diskdriver. Then all work is for
    nothing.

    Regards,
    John

    Ron Kirschner wrote:
    > I am putting a raid controller into an existing HP ML370 server that
    > currently has a non raid controller and 3 hard drives. Is there any way to
    > copy an image of the current root drive to tape, and then restore it to a
    > disc array of the same size after the new controller and discs are
    > installed. I'm trying to avoid a full OS re-install.
    >
    > HP has some backup and restore software that does this, but only for
    > windows.

+ Reply to Thread