vmware server or desktop - SCO

This is a discussion on vmware server or desktop - SCO ; I did look for the answer myself first. But I cannot find if I should use vmware desktop or server. And then I was a bit shocked to see server price starts at $ 3000? I did hear rumors that ...

  1. vmware server or desktop

    I did look for the answer myself first. But I cannot find if I should
    use vmware desktop or server. And then I was a bit shocked to see
    server price starts at $ 3000?

    I did hear rumors that the server eval of vmware is crippled, and that
    the desktop vmware is indeed slower. Let's say I want to run SCO for a
    20-user database application, with lots of disk i/o. Will the low cost
    worksation version of vmware do the trick (or is it advisable) or
    should I bite bullets for the server version?

  2. Re: vmware server or desktop

    On Saturday 13 October 2007 17:14, Bob Meyers wrote:
    > I did look for the answer myself first. But I cannot find if I should
    > use vmware desktop or server. And then I was a bit shocked to see
    > server price starts at $ 3000?
    >
    > I did hear rumors that the server eval of vmware is crippled, and that
    > the desktop vmware is indeed slower. Let's say I want to run SCO for a
    > 20-user database application, with lots of disk i/o. Will the low cost
    > worksation version of vmware do the trick (or is it advisable) or
    > should I bite bullets for the server version?

    Bob,

    I just spoke to VMware about the server version. It is free. The versions
    that they charge for can be installed on bare metal like an operating system
    and then virtual OS's can be installed directly on top of VMware (no host
    OS). As long as you have a host OS, then install VMware, then install the
    guest OS, the free server version should work. The VMWare rep said it is not
    a crippled version. I downloaded it and will be trying it soon. I do use
    the desktop version (not free) with Kubuntu as the host and XP, OSR507, and
    OSR6 as the guests on my laptop. Here is the link for the server download:
    http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

    Dave Burris

+ Reply to Thread