Files permission becomes ?--------- in OSR504 - SCO

This is a discussion on Files permission becomes ?--------- in OSR504 - SCO ; Hi, I found that the permission of the 10% of the files in my system has become "?---------". The files then linked to other ordinary files in the system. The problem was that I tried to delete those error files ...

  1. Files permission becomes ?--------- in OSR504

    Hi,
    I found that the permission of the 10% of the files in my system has
    become "?---------". The files then linked to other ordinary files in
    the system. The problem was that I tried to delete those error files
    which resulted in deleting the real files they were linking too. I am
    very sad right now.
    Can anyone please advise how I can prevent this from happening (the
    file permission) in the futher.

    Thank you in advance,

    Chala

  2. Re: Files permission becomes ?--------- in OSR504

    chalawal@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I found that the permission of the 10% of the files in my system has
    > become "?---------". The files then linked to other ordinary files in
    > the system. The problem was that I tried to delete those error files
    > which resulted in deleting the real files they were linking too. I am
    > very sad right now.
    > Can anyone please advise how I can prevent this from happening (the
    > file permission) in the futher.

    To prevent this happening you need to work out what caused it. I can't
    help there. I can make some guesses but that's not what you need.

    Rather than deleting files I would have looked in the logs for unusual
    messages, tried to run `fsck` and then `custom` and selected "software",
    "verify system".

    In your current position I think I'd try to backup the data, check the
    hardware health, reinstall the OS then the data.

  3. Re: Files permission becomes ?--------- in OSR504

    On 10 . ., 16:19, RedGrittyBrick
    wrote:
    > chala...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I found that the permission of the 10% of the files in my system has
    > > become "?---------". The files then linked to other ordinary files in
    > > the system. The problem was that I tried to delete those error files
    > > which resulted in deleting the real files they were linking too. I am
    > > very sad right now.
    > > Can anyone please advise how I can prevent this from happening (the
    > > file permission) in the futher.

    > To prevent this happening you need to work out what caused it. I can't
    > help there. I can make some guesses but that's not what you need.
    >
    > Rather than deleting files I would have looked in the logs for unusual
    > messages, tried to run `fsck` and then `custom` and selected "software",
    > "verify system".
    >
    > In your current position I think I'd try to backup the data, check the
    > hardware health, reinstall the OS then the data.

    Thanks, I just backup the data and re-create the file system on above
    mentioned division.

    Chala

+ Reply to Thread