rant and whine: There otta be a law - SCO

This is a discussion on rant and whine: There otta be a law - SCO ; That prohibits software publishers from removing good product from the market when they know users are out there. Microsoft bought Foxpro, ported it to SCO, then buried it forever, creeps. I'm sure all of us have been forced to upgrade ...

  1. rant and whine: There otta be a law

    That prohibits software publishers from removing good product from the
    market when they know users are out there. Microsoft bought Foxpro,
    ported it to SCO, then buried it forever, creeps.

    I'm sure all of us have been forced to upgrade out of software that
    was working perfectly for no other reason than vendor wants to sell
    new (greed).

    Microsoft should release Foxpro-Unix to open source community
    SCO should release OpenServer to open source community

    There otta be a law!

    You guys haven't had to put up with my whining in a long time.

  2. Re: rant and whine: There otta be a law

    OregonBob wrote:

    > Microsoft should release Foxpro-Unix to open source community
    > SCO should release OpenServer to open source community

    That will never happen.

    Even SCOX freed ancient Unix sources, but OSR5 will generate revenue enough to
    keep a mom and pop happy for years to come. They'll always have *some* value
    even if it's enough to employ a dozen people for ten years.

    OTOH, if someone would pony up the couple hundred thousand dollars for lawyers,
    I'm sure something could be arranged with MSFT. Heck, what are the odds that the
    sources even exist anymore, and if anyone can remember the steps to compile

    Your rants are why *I* am migrating all our systems to open source.
    FreeBSD/Linux, PostgreSQL/MySQL, OpenJDK. Firefox & OpenOffice on Ubuntu clients.
    BI tools from Pentaho and Jasper.

    If someone were *smart* at SCOX, they'd be rewriting OSR7 to be nothing more
    than API shims between themselves and FreeBSD or something with a BSD license so
    that they basically are future proofing themselves with hardware advances.
    That is a sustainable business model from my POV.

    --
    Walter

  3. Re: rant and whine: There otta be a law

    In article ,
    Walter Vaughan wrote:
    >OregonBob wrote:

    >> Microsoft should release Foxpro-Unix to open source community
    >> SCO should release OpenServer to open source community

    >That will never happen.

    >Even SCOX freed ancient Unix sources, but OSR5 will generate
    >revenue enough to keep a mom and pop happy for years to come.
    >They'll always have *some* value even if it's enough to employ a
    >dozen people for ten years.

    As to the ancient sources, some of the earliest are stored in
    formats that you just can really read with most modern machines.
    The complete sources are availabe in 4 CD set. Those take you all
    the way from the first to the 4.3 BSD.

    >OTOH, if someone would pony up the couple hundred thousand
    >dollars for lawyers, I'm sure something could be arranged with
    >MSFT. Heck, what are the odds that the sources even exist
    >anymore, and if anyone can remember the steps to compile

    When Microsoft had Xenix, that was when AT&T required that if you
    did NOT compile their source code directly - usually on a vaxen,
    you could not call it Unix. That's why there were almost 100
    variants on the Unix name. Xenix being one of the more noteable
    ones for smaller systems. But there was Cromix, Sinix, Venix,
    and on and on with an 'ix' usually somewhere in their name.

    Since the licenses were transfered from AT&T and now look to reside
    with Novell I suspect there are caveats there for MS to do anything
    worthwhile with the code.

    >Your rants are why *I* am migrating all our systems to open
    >source. FreeBSD/Linux, PostgreSQL/MySQL, OpenJDK. Firefox &
    >OpenOffice on Ubuntu clients. BI tools from Pentaho and Jasper.

    >If someone were *smart* at SCOX, they'd be rewriting OSR7 to be
    >nothing more than API shims between themselves and FreeBSD or
    >something with a BSD license so that they basically are future
    >proofing themselves with hardware advances. That is a sustainable
    >business model from my POV.

    And in a reply to Bill Cambpell I mentioned that OS/X 10.5 is
    certified by Open as Unix. There are only about a 1/2 dozen
    current Unix certifications, and they include IBM, Fujitsi,
    HP and a couple of other along with Apple.

    That OS/X 10.5 was certifed as Unix was a surprise to me.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: rant and whine: There otta be a law

    On Tue, Oct 09, 2007, OregonBob wrote:
    >That prohibits software publishers from removing good product from the
    >market when they know users are out there. Microsoft bought Foxpro,
    >ported it to SCO, then buried it forever, creeps.

    Microsoft also bought several vendors of Unix based accounting
    software (RealWorld comes to mind), and killed the Unix versions.

    >There otta be a law!

    There won't be a law until the politicians and bureaucrats can
    increase their wealth and/or power (again greed, but only the
    government can legally come after you with a gun if you don't
    co-operate with them, private business has to buy politicians to
    get ``laws'' made to protect them).

    Bill

    The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will go to the stars...
    -Dr. Isaac Asimov

+ Reply to Thread