Redirection of cpio's messages - SCO

This is a discussion on Redirection of cpio's messages - SCO ; OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7 with Maintenance Pack 5 I'm trying to,write a Bourne script that I can use to backup files. I hope to redirect cpio's verbose output to a file, for later comparison with an earlier file that contains ...

  1. Redirection of cpio's messages

    OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7 with Maintenance Pack 5

    I'm trying to,write a Bourne script that I can use to backup files. I hope
    to redirect cpio's verbose output to a file, for later comparison with an
    earlier file that contains the filenames that I wish to backup. In the
    following script, cpio send its verbose outrput to the console, instead of
    to the file named "backnames". Can anyone tell me why?

    TIA,
    Arby

    # Remove backup status file
    echo Bad Backup > /tmp/backup_status
    echo > Daily
    echo Daily > backnames
    find /usr/myapp/db/* -depth -print >> backnames
    echo "User requested a Daily backup." > /tmp/backnames

    # Perform the backup
    # Increased block i/o size from 1024 to 64 kB and media size to 79 GB: RB

    cat backnames | cpio -ocaBv -C65536 -O/dev/mt \
    -K7990000 > /tmp/backnames

    # -K7990000 \
    # -M "Please insert tape %d and then press RETURN: " > /tmp/backnames

    # Compare /tmp/backnames to backnames. If a good backup, they'll match.
    # (excluding media errors, of course.)
    . . . etc

  2. Re: Redirection of cpio's messages

    On Sun, Oct 07, 2007, Arby wrote:
    >OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7 with Maintenance Pack 5
    >
    >I'm trying to,write a Bourne script that I can use to backup files. I hope
    >to redirect cpio's verbose output to a file, for later comparison with an
    >earlier file that contains the filenames that I wish to backup. In the
    >following script, cpio send its verbose outrput to the console, instead of
    >to the file named "backnames". Can anyone tell me why?

    Most likely because the output is to standard error, not standard output.

    >cat backnames | cpio -ocaBv -C65536 -O/dev/mt \
    >-K7990000 > /tmp/backnames

    This would be self-destructive as the command would empty
    /tmp/backnames on startup, and could also be considered an
    example of useless use of the cat command

    Should be:

    cpio -ocaBv -C65536 -O/dev/mt -K7990000 < /tmp/backnames > /tmp/cpioout 2>&1

    The part ``2>&1'' joins standard output and standard error into a
    single file stream.

    Bill

    What's this script do?
    unzip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; gasp ; yes ; umount ; sleep
    Hint for the answer: not everything is computer-oriented. Sometimes you're
    in a sleeping bag, camping out.
    (Contributed by Frans van der Zande.)

+ Reply to Thread