Urgent::shell script help - SCO

This is a discussion on Urgent::shell script help - SCO ; Hi, got a simple question to you all. I would like to have a simple shell script to do the following: I have lots of files in my home directory, I would like to look into directories /usr/directory1 and /usr/direcotry2, ...

  1. Urgent::shell script help

    Hi, got a simple question to you all.

    I would like to have a simple shell script to do the following:

    I have lots of files in my home directory, I would like to look
    into directories /usr/directory1 and /usr/direcotry2, in which
    has lots of files too, compare the files in my home directory
    to those in /usr/directory1, then /usr/directory2 with the same
    file name. If they are identical, then rename the file in my
    home diretory to file_name.sqr.trash.

    Thanks for your help, please email me at: reshma.hp@gmail.com

  2. Re: Urgent::shell script help

    In article <1147066431.171910.38920@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.c om>,
    resh wrote:
    >I have lots of files in my home directory, I would like to look
    >into directories /usr/directory1 and /usr/direcotry2, in which
    >has lots of files too, compare the files in my home directory
    >to those in /usr/directory1, then /usr/directory2 with the same
    >file name. If they are identical, then rename the file in my
    >home diretory to file_name.sqr.trash.

    You might start with 'dircmp' to find identical files.

    Somewhat easier to use programmatically (to build file lists):
    ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/comptree
    comptree requires:
    ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scobins/stat

    John