Re: udk mode shared curses library missing on OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: udk mode shared curses library missing on OSR6 - SCO ; Roger Cornelius wrote: > OSR6 w/mp2 installed includes both static and shared versions of the > curses library for osr mode, but for udk mode, only the static lib is > present. What happened to the shared lib for udk ...

  1. Re: udk mode shared curses library missing on OSR6

    Roger Cornelius wrote:

    > OSR6 w/mp2 installed includes both static and shared versions of the
    > curses library for osr mode, but for udk mode, only the static lib is
    > present. What happened to the shared lib for udk mode?

    Sorry, should have replied a week ago...

    For reasons that were never adequately explained to me, libcurses never
    was a shared object in either OSR5 or UW7 -- until OSR507. As part of
    OSR507 development, several previously static libraries were hoisted
    into the mid-90's bliss of shared objecthood.

    OSR6's "-Kosr" compilation mode is based closely on OSR507, so it has
    shared libcurses. "-Kudk" is based closely on UW714-or-so, so it has
    only a static libcurses. What "happened" to it is that it never existed
    in the immediate ancestry of your targeted development environment...

    There was talk about supplying some of those changes to UW7. I'm pretty
    sure that UW714 (FCS) has only static libcurses, but that may have
    changed in an MP. If so, the MP that delivers that change postdates the
    point at which OSR6 "-Kudk" branched its development. And if so, you
    would be right to agitate for the change to be brought back across the
    branches. (And if not, you would be right to agitate for it to be
    brought to _both_ UW71x and OSR6 maintenance streams...)

    >Bela<

  2. Re: udk mode shared curses library missing on OSR6

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    >
    > > OSR6 w/mp2 installed includes both static and shared versions of the
    > > curses library for osr mode, but for udk mode, only the static lib is
    > > present. What happened to the shared lib for udk mode?

    > Sorry, should have replied a week ago...
    >
    > For reasons that were never adequately explained to me, libcurses never
    > was a shared object in either OSR5 or UW7 -- until OSR507. As part of
    > OSR507 development, several previously static libraries were hoisted
    > into the mid-90's bliss of shared objecthood.
    >
    > OSR6's "-Kosr" compilation mode is based closely on OSR507, so it has
    > shared libcurses. "-Kudk" is based closely on UW714-or-so, so it has
    > only a static libcurses. What "happened" to it is that it never existed
    > in the immediate ancestry of your targeted development environment...
    >
    > There was talk about supplying some of those changes to UW7. I'm pretty
    > sure that UW714 (FCS) has only static libcurses, but that may have
    > changed in an MP. If so, the MP that delivers that change postdates the
    > point at which OSR6 "-Kudk" branched its development. And if so, you
    > would be right to agitate for the change to be brought back across the
    > branches. (And if not, you would be right to agitate for it to be
    > brought to _both_ UW71x and OSR6 maintenance streams...)

    Well, I've reported it via SCO's online bug report form so maybe that
    will be agitating to someone.

+ Reply to Thread