Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled. - SCO

This is a discussion on Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled. - SCO ; Greetings, I have just installed SCO 5.0.5 into a HP ML570 server (w 2 processors) and the system works well when it runs in 1 processor mode. But whenever I enable the SMP feature in SCO, the server will fail ...

  1. Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled.

    Greetings,
    I have just installed SCO 5.0.5 into a HP ML570 server (w 2
    processors) and the system works well when it runs in 1 processor mode.
    But whenever I enable the SMP feature in SCO, the server will fail to
    boot up. I have the latest patch for SCO 5.0.5 (rs505a,
    oss497c,oss652a...etc)installed but it doesn't help at all. Below is
    the error message when booting up to SCO:
    WARNING : apic : cannot find interrupt information for PCI device
    (device 10/4/0)
    It seems like there is conflict with PCI devices when the SMP
    feature is enabled. When this happened, the server will hang and I will
    have to reboot it using the last known good kernel. The server can boot
    up as usual once I remove the SMP feature but I am getting this
    message:
    WARNING: casm: Detected 2 Physical/Logical processors installed but
    only 1 recognized by operating system!

    Anybody has encountered this before? What could be the problem or I
    have missed up something here. Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled.

    xeqister@gmail.com typed (on Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:51:09AM -0700):
    | Greetings,
    | I have just installed SCO 5.0.5 into a HP ML570 server (w 2
    | processors) and the system works well when it runs in 1 processor mode.
    | But whenever I enable the SMP feature in SCO, the server will fail to
    | boot up. I have the latest patch for SCO 5.0.5 (rs505a,
    | oss497c,oss652a...etc)installed but it doesn't help at all. Below is
    | the error message when booting up to SCO:
    | WARNING : apic : cannot find interrupt information for PCI device
    | (device 10/4/0)
    | It seems like there is conflict with PCI devices when the SMP
    | feature is enabled. When this happened, the server will hang and I will
    | have to reboot it using the last known good kernel. The server can boot
    | up as usual once I remove the SMP feature but I am getting this
    | message:
    | WARNING: casm: Detected 2 Physical/Logical processors installed but
    | only 1 recognized by operating system!
    |
    | Anybody has encountered this before? What could be the problem or I
    | have missed up something here. Thanks in advance.

    Are rs505a and oss497c installed?

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled.

    Yes, I have all the patches for SCO 5.0.5 installed.By following the
    documentation, what I did was, first I install the SMP feature, after
    that only install the rs505a, os497c and other patches. Is this the
    correct way?

  4. Re: Error booting up SCO 5.0.5 when SMP feature is enabled.

    xeqister@gmail.com wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > I have just installed SCO 5.0.5 into a HP ML570 server (w 2
    > processors) and the system works well when it runs in 1 processor mode.
    > But whenever I enable the SMP feature in SCO, the server will fail to
    > boot up. I have the latest patch for SCO 5.0.5 (rs505a,
    > oss497c,oss652a...etc)installed but it doesn't help at all. Below is
    > the error message when booting up to SCO:
    > WARNING : apic : cannot find interrupt information for PCI device
    > (device 10/4/0)
    > It seems like there is conflict with PCI devices when the SMP
    > feature is enabled. When this happened, the server will hang and I will
    > have to reboot it using the last known good kernel. The server can boot
    > up as usual once I remove the SMP feature but I am getting this
    > message:
    > WARNING: casm: Detected 2 Physical/Logical processors installed but
    > only 1 recognized by operating system!
    >
    > Anybody has encountered this before? What could be the problem or I
    > have missed up something here. Thanks in advance.

    There are some BIOS settings you may have to play with, such as
    APIC - full table mapped
    I have not tried the ML570 with 5.0.5 so I cannot tell you what the
    setting will be, but since there is only 1 or 2 choices it will be
    easy to try them all.

    I have noticed on some Proliant servers that I had to disable unused
    IRQs and assign unique ones to the RAID controller to get a boot.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

+ Reply to Thread