SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup. - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup. - SCO ; Had a client ask me about this the other day and I was going to do some research on their system but not sure where to look. They just want to make sure it's not a critical error. I think ...

  1. SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup.

    Had a client ask me about this the other day and I was going to do some
    research on their system but not sure where to look. They just want to
    make sure it's not a critical error. I think the tape drive just reset but
    then I have to ask why and so was also wondering where on the system might
    I find a log and is there one that might have more info. Is this a normal
    type thing. Here is their explanation and take note I think he misread
    Stp-0 and got Stop-0 which is also why he mentions "stop" later. Thanks
    for any insight.

    bk

    ---------------

    Had a message pop up right after initiating backup the other night....

    % Stop-0 - - vnd=HP Prd=ULTRIUM 1-SCSI REV=N26D

    I know that has to do with the backup drive and I guess the "stop" part
    means there was a fault with the drive somehow. I noticed that the backup
    screen (the black box with the dots that run down the screen as data is
    written to the tape) initially came up and the dots started running, but on
    the first page that error (blue box) popped up and the stream of dots
    stopped for about a minute. Then they started back like normal and there
    was activity on the drive. I closed the error and backup seemed to run OK.

    I just checked the mailbox thinking that the error would have generated a
    detail report, but there was nothing there.

    I wondered if there was a way to run a diagnostic on that tape drive to see
    if there are any issues with it? If it's an isolated thing, no biggie, but
    if it could be going out, I'd hate to get stuck without a backup drive
    until
    we can get it swapped. Thought if there was anything preventative I could
    do, I'd do it.

  2. Re: SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup.

    On Oct 4, 1:32 pm, Brian Keener
    wrote:
    > Had a client ask me about this the other day and I was going to do some
    > research on their system but not sure where to look. They just want to
    > make sure it's not a critical error. I think the tape drive just reset but
    > then I have to ask why and so was also wondering where on the system might
    > I find a log and is there one that might have more info. Is this a normal
    > type thing. Here is their explanation and take note I think he misread
    > Stp-0 and got Stop-0 which is also why he mentions "stop" later. Thanks
    > for any insight.
    >
    > bk
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > Had a message pop up right after initiating backup the other night....
    >
    > % Stop-0 - - vnd=HP Prd=ULTRIUM 1-SCSI REV=N26D
    >
    > I know that has to do with the backup drive and I guess the "stop" part
    > means there was a fault with the drive somehow. I noticed that the backup
    > screen (the black box with the dots that run down the screen as data is
    > written to the tape) initially came up and the dots started running, but on
    > the first page that error (blue box) popped up and the stream of dots
    > stopped for about a minute. Then they started back like normal and there
    > was activity on the drive. I closed the error and backup seemed to run OK.
    >
    > I just checked the mailbox thinking that the error would have generated a
    > detail report, but there was nothing there.
    >
    > I wondered if there was a way to run a diagnostic on that tape drive to see
    > if there are any issues with it? If it's an isolated thing, no biggie, but
    > if it could be going out, I'd hate to get stuck without a backup drive
    > until
    > we can get it swapped. Thought if there was anything preventative I could
    > do, I'd do it.

    The message in and of itself is meaningless. Just reports that the
    driver read the device info from the SCSI bus. If you think "Stp" is
    "Stop" then it would sound bad. But it's not so it's not.

    You can check the syslog for any real error messages. If this is a
    Compaq box then check the EFS logs, too, probably in /usr/bin/compaq
    or somewhere.

    --RLR

  3. Re: SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup.

    Brian Keener typed (on Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 04:32:44PM -0400):
    | Had a client ask me about this the other day and I was going to do some
    | research on their system but not sure where to look. They just want to
    | make sure it's not a critical error. I think the tape drive just reset but
    | then I have to ask why and so was also wondering where on the system might
    | I find a log and is there one that might have more info. Is this a normal
    | type thing. Here is their explanation and take note I think he misread
    | Stp-0 and got Stop-0 which is also why he mentions "stop" later. Thanks
    | for any insight.
    |
    | ---------------
    |
    | Had a message pop up right after initiating backup the other night....
    |
    | % Stop-0 - - vnd=HP Prd=ULTRIUM 1-SCSI REV=N26D

    Yes, he clearly misread, the message was surely concerning Stp-0, NOT
    Stop-0.

    Such a message ALWAYS occurs the FIRST time a tape is used after a reboot.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup.

    On Oct 4, 4:32 pm, Brian Keener
    wrote:
    > Had a client ask me about this the other day and I was going to do some
    > research on their system but not sure where to look. They just want to
    > make sure it's not a critical error. I think the tape drive just reset but
    > then I have to ask why and so was also wondering where on the system might
    > I find a log and is there one that might have more info. Is this a normal
    > type thing. Here is their explanation and take note I think he misread
    > Stp-0 and got Stop-0 which is also why he mentions "stop" later. Thanks
    > for any insight.
    >
    > bk
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > Had a message pop up right after initiating backup the other night....
    >
    > % Stop-0 - - vnd=HP Prd=ULTRIUM 1-SCSI REV=N26D
    >
    > I know that has to do with the backup drive and I guess the "stop" part
    > means there was a fault with the drive somehow. I noticed that the backup
    > screen (the black box with the dots that run down the screen as data is
    > written to the tape) initially came up and the dots started running, but on
    > the first page that error (blue box) popped up and the stream of dots
    > stopped for about a minute. Then they started back like normal and there
    > was activity on the drive. I closed the error and backup seemed to run OK.
    >
    > I just checked the mailbox thinking that the error would have generated a
    > detail report, but there was nothing there.
    >
    > I wondered if there was a way to run a diagnostic on that tape drive to see
    > if there are any issues with it? If it's an isolated thing, no biggie, but
    > if it could be going out, I'd hate to get stuck without a backup drive
    > until
    > we can get it swapped. Thought if there was anything preventative I could
    > do, I'd do it.

    Sounds like you need to be made aware of the FAQ: http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/

    Specifically that's http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_sco...pemessage.html
    - but don't bother with that, it's already been explained in other
    answers. You may find other things of interest though.

    Oh, and for tape drives in general: see
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/tapes.html
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/tapenotfound.html

    and Bill V.s exhaustive series at http://aplawrence.com/BillV/intro.html

  5. Re: SCO 5.0.7 qnd Stp-0 reset starting a backup.

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > Sounds like you need to be made aware of the FAQ:

    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/

    Actually - I've found a lot of good stuff on your site in the past. Just
    didn't think to look there first.

    I will definitely read up on it though.

    Thanks all.

    bk