more musing about a relacemnt for psions - Scion

This is a discussion on more musing about a relacemnt for psions - Scion ; richard seed wrote: > I was visiting maplins saturday and they have a small sub notebok at > about 150 running on linux bigger then the series5 (which is what I > really want a replacement for ) but looks ...

  1. Re: more musing about a relacemnt for psions

    richard seed wrote:
    > I was visiting maplins saturday and they have a small sub notebok at
    > about 150 running on linux bigger then the series5 (which is what I
    > really want a replacement for ) but looks like it might just do
    > smaler than %but real keyboard.
    > BTW whycan't we get hold of native epoc and load it onto a blank
    > macjine is it just symbian/psion wont release teh cod , does it care
    > or is there a deepr technical reason .
    > Alos would it be possible to use XP light and then use SDK to boot
    > into the psion os . Antythoughts comments form the ore knowlegable
    > out there

    Maplins "Webbook" or whatever is now 139 or thereabouts. Looks ok
    apart from the lack of a touchscreen.

  2. Re: need help with camera control

    IgorB wrote:

    > Does someone know if it is possible to control Canon DSLR camera through
    > serial port of Psion 5? I know it is possible to do that with PC but I don't
    > really know what is the difference between PC serial port and Psion serial
    > port. Could someone please explain it to me?

    There's the obvious difference, the physical type of socket (Honda on
    the Psion, 9- or 25-D on the PC).

    Then there's the fact that a socket can be wired up as computer or
    peripheral. With a standard serial cable you can only make a
    connection between computer and peripheral, not computer to computer or
    peripheral to peripheral. A PC's port is wired up as a computer, but
    the Psion's is wired up as peripheral. To connect computer to computer
    or peripheral (Psion) to periphal (camera) you need a null-modem (or "
    cross-over") cable, or a null-modem adaptor.

    The third issue is that of drivers. Presumably the PC controls the
    camera through some software supplied with the camera. You'd need to
    get, or more likely to write, a driver for the Psion to do the same job.
    If the camera's protocol is simple then this may be possible with OPL.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  3. Re: need help with camera control

    I found out that for controling Canon EOS camera in bulb mode, all I need to
    do is open or close circuit. In another words, I'll try to use serial port
    of my Psion 5 to send signal to open or close circuit via optocoupler. Same
    thing is used when controlling camera with PC, so I don't see why it
    shouldn't work with Psion.

    "Damian Walker" wrote in message
    > IgorB wrote:
    >
    >> Does someone know if it is possible to control Canon DSLR camera through
    >> serial port of Psion 5? I know it is possible to do that with PC but I
    >> don't
    >> really know what is the difference between PC serial port and Psion
    >> serial
    >> port. Could someone please explain it to me?

    > There's the obvious difference, the physical type of socket (Honda on
    > the Psion, 9- or 25-D on the PC).
    >
    > Then there's the fact that a socket can be wired up as computer or
    > peripheral. With a standard serial cable you can only make a
    > connection between computer and peripheral, not computer to computer or
    > peripheral to peripheral. A PC's port is wired up as a computer, but
    > the Psion's is wired up as peripheral. To connect computer to computer
    > or peripheral (Psion) to periphal (camera) you need a null-modem (or "
    > cross-over") cable, or a null-modem adaptor.
    >
    > The third issue is that of drivers. Presumably the PC controls the
    > camera through some software supplied with the camera. You'd need to
    > get, or more likely to write, a driver for the Psion to do the same job.
    > If the camera's protocol is simple then this may be possible with OPL.
    >
    > --
    > Damian Walker
    > The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  4. Re: need help with camera control

    > In another words, I'll try to use serial port*
    > of my Psion 5 to send signal to open or close circuit via optocoupler.

    That's straightforward in OPL.

    I've dug-out an old newsgroup posting of mine which shows how to
    programatically drive the DTR signal out of a Psion's serial port, and -
    as a bonus! - it reads and displays the states of 3 available input
    lines (CTS, DSR and DCD):

    The procedure first opens the TTY:A serial port (-1 is the handle of the
    LOPEN-ed device) and asserts the DTR signal (P_SRDTR_ON = $100).
    The WHILE loop calls the P_FCTRL service every half-second. P_FCTRL
    returns the status of CTS, DSR and DCD in the least-significant 3 bits
    of ctrl%. The status of these signals is displayed every time round the
    loop.
    Pressing a key to exit the loop drops DTR (P_SRDTR_OFF = $200), closes
    the serial device and exits the procedure.

    PROC TTYFCTRL:
    LOCAL ctrl%, handle%

    LOPEN "TTY:A"
    handle% = -1 REM LOPEN-ed handle

    ctrl% = $100 :IOW(handle%, 11, ctrl%, #0) REM Assert DTR

    WHILE KEY = 0
    IOW(handle%, 11, ctrl%, #0) REM P_FCTRL
    PRINT HEX$(ctrl%);
    IF ctrl% AND 1 :PRINT " CTS"; :ELSE PRINT " "; :ENDIF
    IF ctrl% AND 2 :PRINT " DSR"; :ELSE PRINT " "; :ENDIF
    IF ctrl% AND 4 :PRINT " DCD"; :ELSE PRINT " "; :ENDIF
    PRINT
    PAUSE 10 REM Half-second delay
    ENDWH

    ctrl% = $200 :IOW(handle%, 11, ctrl%, #0) REM Drop DTR

    LCLOSE
    ENDP

    Simon.

  5. more musing about a relacemnt for psions

    I was visiting maplins saturday and they have a small sub notebok at
    about 150 running on linux bigger then the series5 (which is what I
    really want a replacement for ) but looks like it might just do
    smaler than %but real keyboard.
    BTW whycan't we get hold of native epoc and load it onto a blank
    macjine is it just symbian/psion wont release teh cod , does it care
    or is there a deepr technical reason .
    Alos would it be possible to use XP light and then use SDK to boot
    into the psion os . Antythoughts comments form the ore knowlegable
    out there

+ Reply to Thread