Emulation - Scion

This is a discussion on Emulation - Scion ; Hello everyone, I'm nearly done writing a series of articles for EPOC Entertainer, on emulation. That is, using the EPOC machine to emulate other older computers. I want to make sure I haven't missed anything out, so... what other machines ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. Emulation

    Hello everyone,

    I'm nearly done writing a series of articles for EPOC Entertainer, on
    emulation. That is, using the EPOC machine to emulate other older
    computers. I want to make sure I haven't missed anything out, so...
    what other machines can be emulated on a Psion, and what software would
    I need to do so?

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  2. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm nearly done writing a series of articles for EPOC Entertainer, on
    > emulation. That is, using the EPOC machine to emulate other older
    > computers. I want to make sure I haven't missed anything out, so...
    > what other machines can be emulated on a Psion, and what software would
    > I need to do so?

    xtm emulates an early-version PC. I use it occasionally to work in C or
    Pascal when travelling, because I have a C compiler that runs in DOS,
    but none that run in Epoc.

    They've given up asking for registration. I went looking to buy a
    license when I got a 5mx (to replace the MC218 that I already had a
    license for) and they said to just use the current version. It still
    says it's unregistered, but the registration period is, apparently,
    unlimited. http://www.nb-info.co.uk/xtminfo.htm

    There's an Apple][ emulator as well, PsiApple, and one for the Sinclair
    Spectrum, but I didn't use them as much.

    Frank

  3. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    >I'm nearly done writing a series of articles for EPOC Entertainer, on
    >emulation. That is, using the EPOC machine to emulate other older
    >computers. I want to make sure I haven't missed anything out, so...
    >what other machines can be emulated on a Psion, and what software would
    >I need to do so?

    I dimly recall running the DOS emulator on a 5 to emulate a 3a. I don't
    now remember why I did it, but I'm sure there must have been a good
    reason.

    Roger

  4. Re: Emulation

    Frank Peelo wrote:
    > Damian Walker wrote:
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I'm nearly done writing a series of articles for EPOC Entertainer, on
    >> emulation. That is, using the EPOC machine to emulate other older
    >> computers. I want to make sure I haven't missed anything out, so...
    >> what other machines can be emulated on a Psion, and what software
    >> would I need to do so?

    > xtm emulates an early-version PC. I use it occasionally to work in C or
    > Pascal when travelling, because I have a C compiler that runs in DOS,
    > but none that run in Epoc.

    Actually, short of running Linux on the handheld -- which I would like
    to do, but it means a reboot every time I want to use a Psion utility,
    which is awkward -- is there any C compiler that runs on the Psion?

  5. Re: Emulation

    Roger Burton West wrote:

    > I dimly recall running the DOS emulator on a 5 to emulate a 3a. I don't
    > now remember why I did it, but I'm sure there must have been a good
    > reason.

    That will be impressive, if it works. Usually the 3a emulator claims
    not to work under any multitasking system. I've tried it under DOSEmu
    on Linux, and with Windows 95/98 you have to go into DOS mode. I'll
    give it a try under XTM, though I imagine it will run at a snail's pace.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  6. Re: Emulation

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Actually, short of running Linux on the handheld -- which I would like
    > to do, but it means a reboot every time I want to use a Psion utility,
    > which is awkward -- is there any C compiler that runs on the Psion?

    Yes, there's EPOC EMX. It's a port of the GNU suite of utilities, so
    it's a bit big and will need quite a bit of space on a CF card. I can'
    t remember how much, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fit it and run
    it in RAM. You can apparently write GUI applications on it but would
    need to have the ER5 C++ SDK for the library headers. I used to be a C
    programmer but I haven't tried it on a Psion yet.

    I've no URL for it but I'm sure Google will help with that.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  7. Re: EPOC Entertainer 11

    Damian Walker wrote:

    > reviews on Cosmic Co.'s Samurai: My Success Story and Gilles Contastin'
    > s CruelS5,

    Any alternative comments on these games? Is Samurai not quite as bad
    as I thought? Does anyone have a different opinion on Cruel?

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  8. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    >Roger Burton West wrote:
    >> I dimly recall running the DOS emulator on a 5 to emulate a 3a. I don't
    >> now remember why I did it, but I'm sure there must have been a good
    >> reason.

    >That will be impressive, if it works.

    Oh, it worked, no problem. I don't have the hardware or the software any
    more, though (I only came back here once I'd picked up a Netbook).

    >Usually the 3a emulator claims
    >not to work under any multitasking system.

    The DOS emulator I was running on the 5 didn't provide a multitasking
    system. :-)

  9. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > That will be impressive, if it works. Usually the 3a emulator claims
    > not to work under any multitasking system. I've tried it under DOSEmu
    > on Linux, and with Windows 95/98 you have to go into DOS mode. I'll
    > give it a try under XTM, though I imagine it will run at a snail's
    > pace.

    So I was surprised to get the emulator running under DOSBox under Win XP.
    But you do not get the reliability of Psion OS... not even that of a M$ one!

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
    where needed.

  10. Re: Emulation

    Roger Burton West wrote:

    > The DOS emulator I was running on the 5 didn't provide a multitasking
    > system. :-)

    No, but the 5 itself is a multitasking system of exactly the kind that
    Psion claim their 3a emulator won't work on.

    Incidentally, I tried the Series 3 (classic) emulator under DOSBox, and
    that failed to run at all. No error message, just a clear screen and
    DOS prompt. I'll try it under XTM next when I get the chance.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  11. Re: Emulation

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > So I was surprised to get the emulator running under DOSBox under Win XP.
    > But you do not get the reliability of Psion OS... not even that of a M$ one!

    Have you tried the 3 classic emulator under the same conditions? I was
    hoping to get a look at some of the 3 classic games, without going
    through the process of transferring to the 3 itself. I suppose, of
    course, that the 3a emulator will run them anyway.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  12. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Mike Coon wrote:
    >
    >> So I was surprised to get the emulator running under DOSBox under
    >> Win XP. But you do not get the reliability of Psion OS... not even
    >> that of a M$ one!

    > Have you tried the 3 classic emulator under the same conditions? I
    > was hoping to get a look at some of the 3 classic games, without going
    > through the process of transferring to the 3 itself. I suppose, of
    > course, that the 3a emulator will run them anyway.

    I didn't know there was a distinct "Classic" emulator and I wouldn't have
    wanted to run it anyway. I've never played any games on any computer I've
    ever owned...

    (I did write a "Conway Game of Life" program for Series 3 and ported to
    Series 5, but I don't think that anyone would consider that a "game". It's
    been freely available for about a decade, I guess.)

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
    where needed.

  13. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Frank Peelo wrote:
    >

    >>Actually, short of running Linux on the handheld -- which I would like
    >>to do, but it means a reboot every time I want to use a Psion utility,
    >>which is awkward -- is there any C compiler that runs on the Psion?

    > Yes, there's EPOC EMX. It's a port of the GNU suite of utilities, so
    > it's a bit big and will need quite a bit of space on a CF card. I can'
    > t remember how much, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fit it and run
    > it in RAM.

    If it's this:
    http://epocemx.sourceforge.net/
    then it doesn't look like "short of running Linux on the handheld"

    If I understand it, I would run this under Linux. Now, I suppose I could
    be running Linux on the handheld, but in that case I'd be better off
    just using the compiler for whatever distro is installed, and run the
    compiled program under Linux instead of Epoc.

    Was hoping there could be a compiler that runs under Epoc. I believe I
    saw a command line for Epoc, somewhere, and it just seems to me that if
    there was a compiler that ran under Epoc, such a thing would be better
    for doing small amounts of work on the psion, than a full Linux disro
    would be.

    Frank

  14. Re: Emulation

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > (I did write a "Conway Game of Life" program for Series 3 and ported to
    > Series 5, but I don't think that anyone would consider that a "game". It's
    > been freely available for about a decade, I guess.)

    Ooh, where can I get it? I'd like to add it to the EPOC32 game
    database if I may.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  15. Re: Emulation

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > xtm emulates an early-version PC. I use it occasionally to work in C or
    > Pascal when travelling, because I have a C compiler that runs in DOS,
    > but none that run in Epoc.

    I've had a play with XTM, and it's quite good, though it has trouble
    running any graphical stuff. Elite's screen updates could be measured
    in seconds per frame but it (the 256-colour version) looked very
    impressive.

    > There's an Apple][ emulator as well, PsiApple, and one for the Sinclair
    > Spectrum, but I didn't use them as much.

    The Apple II emulator looks good, but it's unfortunate that they never
    did a colour version for the Series 7. The Spectrum emulator is one of
    my candidates for the best piece of EPOC software ever written :-)

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  16. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Mike Coon wrote:
    >
    >> (I did write a "Conway Game of Life" program for Series 3 and ported
    >> to Series 5, but I don't think that anyone would consider that a
    >> "game". It's been freely available for about a decade, I guess.)

    > Ooh, where can I get it? I'd like to add it to the EPOC32 game
    > database if I may.

    Certainly; it's at http://www.mjcoon.plus.com/page26.htm. Please give it a
    try first; I've never seen it running on a real EPOC device!

    Cheers, Mike.
    --
    If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
    where needed.

  17. Re: Emulation

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > Certainly; it's at http://www.mjcoon.plus.com/page26.htm. Please give it a
    > try first; I've never seen it running on a real EPOC device!

    The page comes up fine, but clicking on the download link gives me:

    Not found - 404
    URL requested (/PsiALife.sis) not found

    I assume you have an offline copy you could upload!

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  18. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Mike Coon wrote:
    >
    >> Certainly; it's at http://www.mjcoon.plus.com/page26.htm. Please
    >> give it a try first; I've never seen it running on a real EPOC
    >> device!

    > The page comes up fine, but clicking on the download link gives me:
    >
    > Not found - 404
    > URL requested (/PsiALife.sis) not found
    >
    > I assume you have an offline copy you could upload!

    Apologies; it didn't need that; it's the perennial conflict between Windows
    (my PC) being case-blind and the Unix server which needs matching case. I
    have renamed the file from PsiALife.SIS and you should be able to download
    now. (Maybe that's why no-one has commented before but I've had several
    sites over the years...)

    Cheers, Mike.
    --
    If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
    where needed.

  19. Re: Emulation

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > Apologies; it didn't need that; it's the perennial conflict between Windows
    > (my PC) being case-blind and the Unix server which needs matching case. I
    > have renamed the file from PsiALife.SIS and you should be able to download
    > now. (Maybe that's why no-one has commented before but I've had several
    > sites over the years...)

    Thanks, I've got it now. Are you still able to maintain it, by the way?

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  20. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Mike Coon wrote:
    >
    >> Apologies; it didn't need that; it's the perennial conflict between
    >> Windows (my PC) being case-blind and the Unix server which needs
    >> matching case. I have renamed the file from PsiALife.SIS and you
    >> should be able to download now. (Maybe that's why no-one has
    >> commented before but I've had several sites over the years...)

    > Thanks, I've got it now. Are you still able to maintain it, by the
    > way?

    Oh, dear, I wondered if you would ask that! The problem is that it is only
    partly in OPL which is easy; the fast Life-algorithm routine is in C++ and
    when I retire next Spring I won't have access to Visual Studio unless I buy
    myself a copy (or maybe I can manage to get agreement to "liberate" an out
    of date version from work).

    Must see if I can find the source, too...

    Cheers, Mike.