Emulation - Scion

This is a discussion on Emulation - Scion ; Mike Coon wrote: > Oh, dear, I wondered if you would ask that! The problem is that it is only > partly in OPL which is easy; the fast Life-algorithm routine is in C++ I thought it was a bit ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Emulation

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > Oh, dear, I wondered if you would ask that! The problem is that it is only
    > partly in OPL which is easy; the fast Life-algorithm routine is in C++

    I thought it was a bit fast for OPL!

    > when I retire next Spring I won't have access to Visual Studio unless I buy
    > myself a copy (or maybe I can manage to get agreement to "liberate" an out
    > of date version from work).

    So any bug reports need to be sent quickly! I've noticed a few errors
    with the life algorithm. Last time I played with, some gamma-shaped
    blocks of three dots were stable, which I'm sure shouldn't be the case.
    They should form themselves into square blocks. I've also seen a lone,
    hollow square block of eight dots behave differently on three
    occasions.

    > Must see if I can find the source, too...

    I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  2. Re: Emulation

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > There's an Apple][ emulator as well, PsiApple, and one for the Sinclair
    > Spectrum, but I didn't use them as much.

    Frodo (C64) has been ported for the Series 5 and there are two "video
    games" emulations: GOBY (Gameboy) and EMAME.

    --
    Oliver

  3. Re: Emulation

    Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:

    > Frodo (C64) has been ported for the Series 5 and there are two "video
    > games" emulations: GOBY (Gameboy) and EMAME.

    As well as EGnuBoy, also for the Gameboy.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  4. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > My brother gave me a 2GB CF card last weekend. I decided to put it in
    > my Series 5mx, as that's the machine I use the most. But I've always
    > been happy with a 64MB card up till now. EPOC software is so compact
    > that I've rarely used more than half of that amount. So what can I use
    > all that space for on a 5mx?
    >
    > I've partitioned the card into four sections: 64MB for applications,
    > 64MB for games, 384MB for static or rarely-changing data I might use
    > regularly. That leaves a partition of 1.5GB to find a use for. I save
    > regularly updated files on C: and use a trio of 16MB cards for backup,
    > so it would be pointless using the 1.5GB partition for those things.

    Did you partition your card with linux?

    > I thought about putting all the downloads from the EPOC32 Games
    > database on there (about 60MB), or perhaps an encycopedia, as someone a
    > while back mentioned there's a downloadable Wikipedia available. I
    > could put a good amount of Project Gutenberg on there. But all these
    > are just filling the space for the sake of it.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions for ~1GB clumps of data that could be
    > useful on a Psion?

    You can store all the maps from Tomtoms Citymaps. The worst part will
    be to extract them from the 2 cds.
    Please give us some feedback if you really accomplished to install a
    recent version of Wikipedia. My impression was that there isn't a
    version for Epoc any longer.

    --
    Oliver

  5. Re: Emulation

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:
    >
    > > Frodo (C64) has been ported for the Series 5 and there are two "video
    > > games" emulations: GOBY (Gameboy) and EMAME.

    > As well as EGnuBoy, also for the Gameboy.

    Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of it.

    --
    Oliver

  6. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:

    > Did you partition your card with linux?

    Yes. It took a few tries, once because of my error and once because
    Atelier's EDU trashed the partitions it didn't like. I've since found
    that it doesn't like partitions whose size isn't a number in the binary
    system (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8...) so I'll remember not to let it loose on my
    384M and 1.5G partitions again.

    > You can store all the maps from Tomtoms Citymaps. The worst part will
    > be to extract them from the 2 cds.

    I thought about putting more maps from TomTom's old Street Planner (
    which I bought a while ago) but decided against it as I don't travel
    that often, and the maps are getting out of date now. What exactly is
    Citymaps?

    > Please give us some feedback if you really accomplished to install a
    > recent version of Wikipedia. My impression was that there isn't a
    > version for Epoc any longer.

    I haven't yet found one, but to be fair I haven't looked since I'm not
    yet sure what I'm going to do with the partition.

    Had Gutenberg published more of their books in PDF format I might have
    put some of those on the card; the TXT files will more than fill it but
    I find unformatted plain text files uncomfortable to read. I keep
    meaning to look into EPOC compatible e-books but other things
    constantly take up my time at the moment. Hopefully I should get
    chance to look further during this week.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  7. Re: Emulation

    Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:

    > > As well as EGnuBoy, also for the Gameboy.

    > Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of it.

    EGnuBoy is better than Goby if you have a S7, as it supports Gameboy
    Color games. But neither is really fast enough for most games on a 5mx
    or slower machines.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  8. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:
    > Damian Walker wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everyone,
    >>
    >>My brother gave me a 2GB CF card last weekend. I decided to put it in
    >>my Series 5mx, as that's the machine I use the most. But I've always
    >>been happy with a 64MB card up till now. EPOC software is so compact
    >>that I've rarely used more than half of that amount. So what can I use
    >>all that space for on a 5mx?
    >>
    >>I've partitioned the card into four sections: 64MB for applications,
    >>64MB for games, 384MB for static or rarely-changing data I might use
    >>regularly. That leaves a partition of 1.5GB to find a use for. I save
    >>regularly updated files on C: and use a trio of 16MB cards for backup,
    >>so it would be pointless using the 1.5GB partition for those things.

    > Did you partition your card with linux?

    Do you use Psion CF cards with Linux?

    I have Mandriva 2008.0, and the vfat driver seems to have problems with
    cards formatted on the Psion. A 512MB card which was readable in Windows
    and on a MAC had garbled directories under Mandriva. I was surprised;
    don't know if the Psion has a slightly different format to what the
    linux driver expects, or if there might be a problem with the card.

    Frank

  9. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker wrote:

    >I thought about putting more maps from TomTom's old Street Planner (
    >which I bought a while ago) but decided against it as I don't travel
    >that often, and the maps are getting out of date now. What exactly is
    >Citymaps?

    Latest version is from 2003 and I find it still pretty good, even in
    London.

    Since they switched from their own special format to (semi-)standard
    ..cab files, you can even install the maps without having to go through
    the official installer - I wrote a program to convert the install
    packages into .SIS files. (Thus meaning you don't have to squeeze them
    down the serial link from a Windows machine.)
    http://firedrake.org/roger/psion/citymaps2003.html

    Roger

  10. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Do you use Psion CF cards with Linux?

    Yes. I have the same problem of garbled directories as you do much of
    the time. You can get around this if you have the mtools package ("...
    a collection of utilities for accessing MS-DOS files ...") installed.
    This has been installed with all Linux versions I've used so far,
    though I'm still on Fedora 4. The included tools mdir and mcopy have
    worked flawlessly with all the cards I've tried.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  11. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Roger Burton West wrote:

    > Latest version is from 2003 and I find it still pretty good, even in
    > London.

    Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that, then. Is it possible to
    install later CAB maps onto it, or are you stuck with the ones supplied?

    > I wrote a program to convert the install
    > packages into .SIS files. (Thus meaning you don't have to squeeze them
    > down the serial link from a Windows machine.)

    I would probably stick them straight onto the CF from the Linux box,
    which would be the easiest way.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  12. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Hello everyone,

    So far I like the mapping idea, but not being a driver or a regular
    visitor to other cities, I'll probably settle for keeping my home city
    and environs on there, and install other cities ahead of a journey.

    Not having found an encyclopaedia yet, I've started to download some
    electronic books. I'm looking forward to a time when Project Gutenberg
    has the full 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica available for download in
    text format. For usefulness it doesn't match a modern encyclopaedia
    but I'm often searching for historical information.

    I found a neat little reader, ERead, which reformats text into a fully-
    justified 2-column format which is nice to read. It simulates a 2-page
    spread a bit like Agenda. Unfortunately, when it saves bookmark files,
    it doesn't re-read them from the CF ("File corrupt"). I don't remember
    whether I tested this from C: or not. It may be a CF issue or possibly
    an issue about the size of the original text (the two I've transferred
    so far are 1.5MB and 3MB in size).

    What's the best reader generally available? Contrary to my earlier
    thoughts I'm now interested in plain text books, especially if there's
    another more reliable reader that can reformat those books in an
    attractive way. I seem to remember one reader program has a sideways
    mode.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  13. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker wrote:

    >Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that, then. Is it possible to
    >install later CAB maps onto it, or are you stuck with the ones supplied?

    I have no access to later maps, so I don't know. If the format hasn't
    changed too much...?

  14. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker was inspired to say
    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >So far I like the mapping idea, but not being a driver or a regular
    >visitor to other cities, I'll probably settle for keeping my home city
    >and environs on there, and install other cities ahead of a journey.
    >
    >Not having found an encyclopaedia yet, I've started to download some
    >electronic books. I'm looking forward to a time when Project Gutenberg
    >has the full 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica available for download in
    >text format. For usefulness it doesn't match a modern encyclopaedia
    >but I'm often searching for historical information.
    >
    >I found a neat little reader, ERead, which reformats text into a fully-
    >justified 2-column format which is nice to read. It simulates a 2-page
    >spread a bit like Agenda. Unfortunately, when it saves bookmark files,
    >it doesn't re-read them from the CF ("File corrupt"). I don't remember
    >whether I tested this from C: or not. It may be a CF issue or possibly
    >an issue about the size of the original text (the two I've transferred
    >so far are 1.5MB and 3MB in size).
    >
    >What's the best reader generally available? Contrary to my earlier
    >thoughts I'm now interested in plain text books, especially if there's
    >another more reliable reader that can reformat those books in an
    >attractive way. I seem to remember one reader program has a sideways
    >mode.

    Oh, I assumed you knew your way around Psion software!!

    I download Gutenberg books, compress them for convenience in a little
    program by Andrew Giddings called TCR (PC based simple multipass
    routine) that gives around 50% compression,
    http://www.cix.co.uk/~gidds/Software/TCR.html

    then in Psion use e-book to read them.

    See... www.geocities.com/ebookepoc/
    ....But I'm not sure if this version is suitable for the Psion 5mx.

    This is conveniently in column format, paging by means of the shift key.
    It is simple to read single handed using ones thumb to turn pages. I
    always have a book on it and yank it out whenever I have a wait.

    Somewhere I have the original ebook program archived...!
    physically archived!!!>

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis
    days, but the sender and from addresses are not valid.>

  15. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Frank Peelo wrote:
    >

    >>Do you use Psion CF cards with Linux?

    > Yes. I have the same problem of garbled directories as you do much of
    > the time. You can get around this if you have the mtools package ("...
    > a collection of utilities for accessing MS-DOS files ...") installed.
    > This has been installed with all Linux versions I've used so far,
    > though I'm still on Fedora 4. The included tools mdir and mcopy have
    > worked flawlessly with all the cards I've tried.

    You don't need to mount the drive with vfat first? Good. Another thing
    for me to google over the weekend...

    Strange that there would be a linux package which successfully reads
    vfat CF cards, if the vfat driver doesn't. I would have thought the same
    bugs would be in both.

    Thanks

    Frank

  16. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Michael J Davis wrote:

    > Oh, I assumed you knew your way around Psion software!!

    Only the games. I haven't been much interested in electronic texts
    until I got the new CompactFlash, so I didn't pay much attention to the
    software.

    > http://www.cix.co.uk/~gidds/Software/TCR.html

    Thanks, I've downloaded that. Though at the moment I'm not much in
    need of using compression!

    > See... www.geocities.com/ebookepoc/
    > ....But I'm not sure if this version is suitable for the Psion 5mx.

    I've had eBook installed on the 5mx, but since my last post here I
    discovered MobiPocket reader, which seems to do everything that eBook
    does. I haven't checked whether it reads TCRs though.

    > This is conveniently in column format, paging by means of the shift key.

    By column format do you mean the mode where you hold the Psion sideways?
    Unfortunately ebook, at least the version I had, only did it in a
    left-handed way which I found a bit of getting used to. MobiPocket
    lets you choose orientation, as well as having the 2-column format that
    ERead used.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  17. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > You don't need to mount the drive with vfat first?

    It occurs to me now that I might have automount enabled on the CF slot,
    but I'm not sure about that - mtools might be reading the file system
    directly. I do have to change the permissions on /dev/sda1 (to sda4 on
    the partitioned card) each time I insert a card, as by default only
    root can read or write to the card. That's something I need to look
    into the mtools documentation for.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  18. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Roger Burton West wrote:

    > I have no access to later maps, so I don't know. If the format hasn't
    > changed too much...?

    Thanks, I'll do a bit of googling to find out what I can.

    --
    Damian Walker
    The World at Strife - newly released - psion.snigfarp.karoo.net

  19. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Damian Walker was inspired to say
    >Michael J Davis wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, I assumed you knew your way around Psion software!!

    >Only the games. I haven't been much interested in electronic texts
    >until I got the new CompactFlash, so I didn't pay much attention to the
    >software.
    >
    >> http://www.cix.co.uk/~gidds/Software/TCR.html

    >Thanks, I've downloaded that. Though at the moment I'm not much in
    >need of using compression!
    >
    >> See... www.geocities.com/ebookepoc/
    >> ....But I'm not sure if this version is suitable for the Psion 5mx.

    >I've had eBook installed on the 5mx, but since my last post here I
    >discovered MobiPocket reader, which seems to do everything that eBook
    >does. I haven't checked whether it reads TCRs though.
    >
    >> This is conveniently in column format, paging by means of the shift key.

    >By column format do you mean the mode where you hold the Psion sideways?

    Yes.

    >Unfortunately ebook, at least the version I had, only did it in a
    >left-handed way which I found a bit of getting used to.

    Funny that, I find holding it in my left hand with the thumb hovering
    over the spacebar works very well.

    >MobiPocket
    >lets you choose orientation, as well as having the 2-column format that
    >ERead used.

    ISTR the two column format, I prefer the single column of ebook. (And
    change the type size for the lighting conditions.)

    Chaq'un a son gout!

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis
    days, but the sender and from addresses are not valid.>
    <><

  20. Re: Help me use my 2GB CompactFlash!

    Michael J Davis wrote:

    > Funny that, I find holding it in my left hand with the thumb hovering
    > over the spacebar works very well.

    Perhaps I should have said "right handed way": it had me holding the
    Psion in my right hand, using the left thumb to press the space bar.
    Very odd. Maybe there's a later version somewhere.

    > ISTR the two column format, I prefer the single column of ebook. (And
    > change the type size for the lighting conditions.)

    I'll probably end up using both. The sideways mode is good for sitting
    on the bus or train, on curling up on the sofa, but the 2-column mode
    will be better when you've got a flat surface to put the Psion on.