Styles in Psion Word - Scion

This is a discussion on Styles in Psion Word - Scion ; Hello everyone, For a long time I've noticed what appears to be a bug in Psion Word, on the Series 5 classic and 5mx at least. I'd like to know if there's a practical workaround. Occasionally I want to emphasise ...

  1. Styles in Psion Word

    Hello everyone,

    For a long time I've noticed what appears to be a bug in Psion Word, on
    the Series 5 classic and 5mx at least. I'd like to know if there's a
    practical workaround.

    Occasionally I want to emphasise the odd word in a paragraph using bold.
    But if I do that, then the next time I call up a bold heading style
    like Heading 2, the heading doesn't appear in bold. I have to apply
    the bold to it manually. If I Quit from word and reload it, subsequent
    Heading 2s I add will have their bold emphasis.

    On a 5 classic the same holds true for underline and italic as used in
    Heading 3: if I italicise a word in a normal paragraph, then the next
    Heading 3 I type will not be in italics. If you don't quite get what I
    mean, try typing the following in Word, using the standard template (I'
    ve used [] to indicate actual keypresses):

    [Ctrl-Fn-2]This heading is bold.[Enter]
    This is a normal paragraph with some [Ctrl-B]bold[Ctrl-B] text.[Enter]
    [Ctrl-Fn-2]This heading is not bold.[Enter]

    As mentioned earlier, if I quit from Word and reload it before typing
    the last line, the heading is entered in bold as it should be.

    Do other people see this? Is it a bug? Or is there a patch or
    workaround? Having to quit and reload Word each time I want to use
    emphasis in a paragraph is a bit of an inconvenience.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

  2. Re: Styles in Psion Word

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > For a long time I've noticed what appears to be a bug in Psion Word,
    > on the Series 5 classic and 5mx at least. I'd like to know if
    > there's a practical workaround.
    >
    > Occasionally I want to emphasise the odd word in a paragraph using
    > bold. But if I do that, then the next time I call up a bold heading
    > style like Heading 2, the heading doesn't appear in bold. I have to
    > apply the bold to it manually. If I Quit from word and reload it,
    > subsequent Heading 2s I add will have their bold emphasis.
    >
    > On a 5 classic the same holds true for underline and italic as used in
    > Heading 3: if I italicise a word in a normal paragraph, then the next
    > Heading 3 I type will not be in italics. If you don't quite get what
    > I mean, try typing the following in Word, using the standard template
    > (I' ve used [] to indicate actual keypresses):
    >
    > [Ctrl-Fn-2]This heading is bold.[Enter]
    > This is a normal paragraph with some [Ctrl-B]bold[Ctrl-B] text.[Enter]
    > [Ctrl-Fn-2]This heading is not bold.[Enter]
    >
    > As mentioned earlier, if I quit from Word and reload it before typing
    > the last line, the heading is entered in bold as it should be.
    >
    > Do other people see this? Is it a bug? Or is there a patch or
    > workaround? Having to quit and reload Word each time I want to use
    > emphasis in a paragraph is a bit of an inconvenience.
    >
    > --
    > Damian Walker
    > Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

    No-one will be astonished that I cannot make anything similar happen on an
    old 3A. Though the shortcuts are not quite the same, and the style just
    propagates when you do a [Enter] instead of reverting to body-text...

    BTW One of the reasons why I never got a 5-series is that I discovered that
    they had dropped the useful (to me!) feature that you can invoke the menu
    and then press the (putative) shortcut to see the menu entry and verify that
    it is the right feature before invoking it. Maybe the use of a numeric
    button to go to the menu column was retained - I don't remember my usage of
    the simulator to that detail...

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
    where needed.

  3. Re: Styles in Psion Word

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > No-one will be astonished that I cannot make anything similar happen on an
    > old 3A. Though the shortcuts are not quite the same, and the style just
    > propagates when you do a [Enter] instead of reverting to body-text...

    Indeed, I've just tried it myself. Word by word emphasis is treated
    completely differently on the 3a, which probably explains why it's a
    bug not inherited from EPOC16. On EPOC32 they've tried to conform to
    the expectations of Microsoft users, and conformed even more to their
    expectations by introducing a new bug.

    > BTW One of the reasons why I never got a 5-series is that I discovered that
    > they had dropped the useful (to me!) feature that you can invoke the menu
    > and then press the (putative) shortcut to see the menu entry and verify that
    > it is the right feature before invoking it. Maybe the use of a numeric
    > button to go to the menu column was retained - I don't remember my usage of
    > the simulator to that detail...

    Yes, the numeric shortcut still works but the alphabetic shortcut doesn'
    t. The only real drawbacks I found of EPOC32 compared to EPOC16 were
    that pie charts in Sheet could have only numbers OR labels (what use is
    a pie chart with unannotated numbers around it?) and that in Agenda,
    one could no longer see to-do entries on the day view selectively by
    priority, something I used quite a bit on the 3a. I upgraded from 3a
    to 5mx, I know there were more omissions on the Series 5 classic.

    --
    Damian Walker
    Add SAUSAGE to the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap

+ Reply to Thread