Series 7 problem - Scion

This is a discussion on Series 7 problem - Scion ; I have a Psion Series 7 in which the battery was allowed to go completely empty - my fault, as I forgot about it. I have since recharged the battery a couple of times and fitted a new back-up battery. ...

  1. Series 7 problem

    I have a Psion Series 7 in which the battery was allowed to go completely
    empty - my fault, as I forgot about it. I have since recharged the battery
    a couple of times and fitted a new back-up battery. When I switch on I get
    a screen with the text

    EPOC release 5
    Copyright Symbian Ltd 1997-1999
    Worldwide patents pending

    If I touch one of the icons, or press a key I get a little beep, but
    nothing else happens, except that pressing switches the screen on and
    switches it off again. I did a hard reset; is there anything else
    I can do?

    --
    David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
    www.davidhwild.me.uk

  2. Re: Series 7 problem

    Quoting David H Wild's message of Yesterday:

    > If I touch one of the icons, or press a key I get a little beep, but
    > nothing else happens, except that pressing switches the screen on and
    > switches it off again. I did a hard reset; is there anything else
    > I can do?

    Has this machine been upgraded with a netBook personality module?

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  3. Re: Series 7 problem

    Hi David,

    When starting the Psion7 for the first time, it has to load its OS-image
    from the CF-card first. This takes a little time, during which it shows a
    static screen with the text you're stating. Just be a little more patient.
    If you haven't the CF-card or it's OS is missing the Psion 7 won't boot.

    Regards,

    Richard

    "David H Wild" schreef in bericht
    news:48879557$0$10972$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >I have a Psion Series 7 in which the battery was allowed to go completely
    > empty - my fault, as I forgot about it. I have since recharged the battery
    > a couple of times and fitted a new back-up battery. When I switch on I get
    > a screen with the text
    >
    > EPOC release 5
    > Copyright Symbian Ltd 1997-1999
    > Worldwide patents pending
    >
    > If I touch one of the icons, or press a key I get a little beep, but
    > nothing else happens, except that pressing switches the screen on
    > and
    > switches it off again. I did a hard reset; is there anything
    > else
    > I can do?
    >
    > --
    > David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
    > www.davidhwild.me.uk

  4. Re: Series 7 problem

    In article <488810fc$0$52190$dbd43001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    > When starting the Psion7 for the first time, it has to load its OS-image
    > from the CF-card first. This takes a little time, during which it shows
    > a static screen with the text you're stating. Just be a little more
    > patient. If you haven't the CF-card or it's OS is missing the Psion 7
    > won't boot.

    What you are describing is the NetBook, not the series 7 which has its OS
    in ROM just like the series 5.

    --
    David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
    www.davidhwild.me.uk

  5. Re: Series 7 problem

    In article
    , Damian
    Walker wrote:
    > > If I touch one of the icons, or press a key I get a little beep, but
    > > nothing else happens, except that pressing switches the screen
    > > on and switches it off again. I did a hard reset; is there
    > > anything else I can do?

    > Has this machine been upgraded with a netBook personality module?

    No; it's exactly as I bought it. There's a couple of memory cards in it,
    but they were there when it was last used.

    --
    David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
    www.davidhwild.me.uk

  6. Re: Series 7 problem

    Quoting David H Wild's message of Friday:

    >> Has this machine been upgraded with a netBook personality module?

    > No; it's exactly as I bought it. There's a couple of memory cards in it,
    > but they were there when it was last used.

    Sorry, with this my experience ends! In the absence of further answers:
    perhaps it's a problem with the ROM? If the ROM module doesn't need
    re-seating then maybe replacing it (perhaps with a personality module,
    probably cheaper than a Series 7 repair) might help. If it doesn't, and
    you have to get the 7 repaired, the personality module wouldn't be a
    wasted purchase.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

+ Reply to Thread