Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question - Scion ; Hi, Does anyone know if it's possible to use a 5mx with IR Travel modem to send SMS text messages from a BT landline? Having just switched my calls back to BT from another carrier, apparently I qualify for 100 ...

  1. Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question

    Hi,

    Does anyone know if it's possible to use a 5mx with IR Travel modem to
    send SMS text messages from a BT landline?

    Having just switched my calls back to BT from another carrier,
    apparently I qualify for 100 free SMS text messages per month, sent
    from my landline to any other landline or mobile phone. So I'm
    thinking I might as well make use of these, even though I don't yet
    have a phone which is SMS compatible. Although I believe incoming SMS
    only requires a phone with caller ID activated(I may be wrong!), which
    I already have.

    Now the thing is, when I asked BT customer services how to set up this
    service, I was told I have to tell them(BT) which phone I've got in
    order to register it and make all the necessary settings(I'm thinking,
    sms centre numbers etc., as with GSM mobile). The woman I spoke to
    had a strong Asian accent, and spoke so fast that I couldn't make out
    half what she was trying to tell me, other than to look at the bt web
    site, but that was no help either.

    So having seen the level of technical expertise here, I'm hoping I can
    learn what settings are required, what the registration process is,
    and as a long shot, whether I can use my Psion 5mx with IR travel
    modem to send SMS messages. I already use the Psion for fax, mobile
    SMS(using PhonemanPro) via IR to phone, and internet access, and so
    would think there may be a way to use that. If I know what settings
    are required I can experiment, as I'm getting 100 free per month which
    I shall ever use completely!

    I would be most appreciative of any guidance/pointers in this
    direction.

    Cheers,

    Neil

  2. Re: Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:31:29 -0002, News041006@kuehlwein.net (Oliver
    N. Kuehlwein) wrote:

    >Otto Sykora wrote:
    >> I am also using the phoneman, but AFAIK, this can only deliver the sms
    >> to the mobile phone , which is different story to the land line phone.

    >Haven't used that myself but the inbuilt email application offers to
    >send sms. Can't you use that?

    It's a case of finding out how to set up the parameters for landline
    SMS, which I'm finding out is different from GSM mobile.

    Neil

  3. Re: Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question

    I am also using the phoneman, but AFAIK, this can only deliver the sms
    to the mobile phone , which is different story to the land line phone.
    It actualy uses all the AT commands similar stuf to the phone and this
    is doing then the communication. This is also the reason why it has to
    have different settings for different phones. We can not however set
    the settings , the phone is recognised automaticaly and then the right
    set up is choosen internaly.

    Otto Sykora
    bggbflxben@tzk.pu (ROT13)

  4. Re: Psion 5mx/PhonemanPro question