Largest CF card for a 5MX ? - Scion

This is a discussion on Largest CF card for a 5MX ? - Scion ; I was ordering various bits'n'bobs a few days ago and threw a 2GB CF card onto the list just to bring the total up into the free postage range. It's arrived ... and the Psion can't read from or identify ...

  1. Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    I was ordering various bits'n'bobs a few days ago and threw a 2GB CF
    card onto the list just to bring the total up into the free postage
    range. It's arrived ... and the Psion can't read from or identify the
    card.
    I'm sure I've heard of people using 1GB cards in 5MX machines; has
    anyone got a 2GB working.

    The card is a Kingston device, who're a well-enough respected name to
    not expect any funny business from them.
    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  2. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    On Apr 29, 5:12 pm, Aidan Karley wrote:

    > I was ordering various bitsxn'bobs a few days ago and threw a 2GB CF
    > card onto the list just to bring the total up into the free postage
    > range. It's arrived ... and the Psion can't read from or identify the
    > card.
    > I'm sure I've heard of people using 1GB cards in 5MX machines; has
    > anyone got a 2GB working.

    > The card is a Kingston device, who're a well-enough respected name to
    > not expect any funny business from them.

    I have been using a 2Gb card for many years; I split it (on Linux)
    into 4 partitions: 1Gb + 2*512Mb: D, E, F, G.

    I've read in the Internet that FAT16 has a 2GB limitation:

    ,----
    | FAT 16 was introduced with DOS Version 2. Technically, it supports
    up
    | to 4 GB of hard drive space.
    |
    | Due to a bug in (MS) FDISK, the limitation for Windows 3.x/9.x
    | Operating System, the limit is stated to be a 2 GB limit This
    explains
    | why there is a 4GB limit for FAT 16 in Windows NT and a 2GB limit
    | when using DOS based Windows.
    |
    | FAT 16 has other limitations as well. For example, no more than 512
    | entries (that is, 512 files and folders) can be in the root
    | directory of a hard drive.
    `---- [ http://www.certiguide.com/apluso/cg_apo_FAT16.htm ]

    I suppose that using such partitions one could address 2*4 = 8 Gb on
    a flash card. (I did not test it; 2Gb seemed so much when I did it!)

    My reason for splitting was primarily speed of access (I have
    different sector size on different partitons; the largest is on D,
    where I keep dictionaries an archives).

    --
    Sergei

  3. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:29:05 -0700 (PDT), Sergei
    wrote:

    >I have been using a 2Gb card for many years; I split it (on Linux)
    >into 4 partitions: 1Gb + 2*512Mb: D, E, F, G.

    Wouldn't that make 3?...

  4. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    On Apr 29, 8:37 pm, Zaroff wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:29:05 -0700 (PDT), Sergei

    > wrote:
    >>I have been using a 2Gb card for many years; I split it (on Linux)
    >>into 4 partitions: 1Gb + 2*512Mb: D, E, F, G.

    > Wouldn't that make 3?...

    Oops. Actually I have 1Gb + 512Mb + 2*256Mb.

    --
    Sergei

  5. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    Hi,

    I use a 2MB Kingston CF card in my 5mx and it works fine. But the 5mx is,
    apparently, notoriously finicky about CF cards. I think Martin Guthrie has a
    non-exhaustive list of cards at http://wwwpscience5.net. I don't know if
    there are different models of Kingston cards but mine is a Kingston Elite
    Pro 50x CF/2GB-S 3.3V/5V 9930433-003.A00LF P781071X28

    Take care,
    Phil.

    --
    "Time wounds all heels."

  6. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    In article <97d9e4c0-86b5-4ac1-b0c6-
    4c640b7ca681@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Sergei wrote:
    > I have been using a 2Gb card for many years; I split it (on Linux)
    > into 4 partitions: 1Gb + 2*512Mb: D, E, F, G.

    Optimistic sounding ...

    > I've read in the Internet that FAT16 has a 2GB limitation:

    And DOS 3.0 had a 32MB partition limit. I remember it well (and
    the fun of configuring a 90MB hard drive to work under DOS 3.1-ish).
    Partition time, methinks.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  7. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    Having tried myself with many hours/days of testing and trying (again), I
    managed to get a 8Gb CF card working with Epoc on a netBook. It also was
    partitioned in 4 x 2 Gb. Unfortunately this was not my own CF card, had to
    send it back to it's owner abroad. If I have another card 2, 4 or 8Gb I will
    try again, since last test wouldn't work on an Ericsson MC218 which is IMHO
    even better as a Psion 5MX.

    Main items to remember are: FAT 12 or FAT16, DOS; NOT WINDOWS!!! I used
    Linux (UBUNTU) myself.
    If anyone else shoeld now the right trick to tackle this problem, please let
    me know!

    Richard

    "Aidan Karley" schreef in bericht
    news:VA.0000158e.0284dc47@email.provider.invalid.. .
    >I was ordering various bits'n'bobs a few days ago and threw a 2GB CF
    > card onto the list just to bring the total up into the free postage
    > range. It's arrived ... and the Psion can't read from or identify the
    > card.
    > I'm sure I've heard of people using 1GB cards in 5MX machines; has
    > anyone got a 2GB working.
    >
    > The card is a Kingston device, who're a well-enough respected name to
    > not expect any funny business from them.
    > --
    > Aidan Karley,
    > Aberdeen, Scotland
    > Written at Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:10 +0100, but posted later.
    > 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

  8. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    Aidan, Yes I have been using a 2 gig card in my 5mx for some time now. I use
    a Dane-Lec, it is the only make of this capacity that I have managed to get
    working properly.
    Sandisc 2 gig ones work as well but are VERY slow.
    Hope that helps

    Paul
    "Aidan Karley" wrote in message
    news:VA.0000158e.0284dc47@email.provider.invalid.. .
    >I was ordering various bits'n'bobs a few days ago and threw a 2GB CF
    > card onto the list just to bring the total up into the free postage
    > range. It's arrived ... and the Psion can't read from or identify the
    > card.
    > I'm sure I've heard of people using 1GB cards in 5MX machines; has
    > anyone got a 2GB working.
    >
    > The card is a Kingston device, who're a well-enough respected name to
    > not expect any funny business from them.
    > --
    > Aidan Karley,
    > Aberdeen, Scotland
    > Written at Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:10 +0100, but posted later.
    > 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

  9. Re: Largest CF card for a 5MX ?

    In article <48181a3b$0$6434$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com>, Phil
    Aypee wrote:
    > at http://wwwpscience5.net.

    Tried the EDU utility form there - it doesn't recognise the card
    either. Ho hum, Windows utility ... searching. Been down this road
    before, I think.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland