LG-KT610 possible psion replacement - Scion

This is a discussion on LG-KT610 possible psion replacement - Scion ; Has anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it i would like something of the sort and the new psion baesd os looks interesting a link here http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

  1. LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    Has anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it i would like
    something of the sort and the new psion baesd os looks interesting
    a link here
    http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863

  2. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    On Apr 3, 3:26 am, richard seed wrote:

    > Has anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it i would like
    > something of the sort and the new psion baesd os looks interesting
    > a link here
    > http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863


    As an owner of Nokia E61 I can state that S60.3 is not comparable to
    Epoc at all. Epoc was more open and well designed; S60.3 is closed,
    rigid and buggy.

    It is very hard to customize S60.3 to one's preferences. You can do
    only what the Big Brother has envisaged in His Narrow Mind. It is
    hard to develop anything for S60.3: if you want to make your program
    available to the community, you have to pay for certification (a few
    hundred $$ per year).

    I do not like M$ at all; but I dislike Symbian S60.3 even more.

    --
    Sergei


  3. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    On 2008-04-03 04:30:08 +0100, Sergei said:

    > On Apr 3, 3:26 am, richard seed wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it i would like
    >> something of the sort and the new psion baesd os looks interesting
    >> a link here
    >> http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863

    >
    > As an owner of Nokia E61 I can state that S60.3 is not comparable to
    > Epoc at all. Epoc was more open and well designed; S60.3 is closed,
    > rigid and buggy.
    >
    > It is very hard to customize S60.3 to one's preferences. You can do
    > only what the Big Brother has envisaged in His Narrow Mind. It is
    > hard to develop anything for S60.3: if you want to make your program
    > available to the community, you have to pay for certification (a few
    > hundred $$ per year).
    >
    > I do not like M$ at all; but I dislike Symbian S60.3 even more.


    I think I would agree with almost everything you've said. I moved from
    Palm Treo because that platform seems to have reached an end at least
    in its current form. Not being a huge fan of Microsoft and having used
    EPOC for YEARS Symbian seemed the natural choice but I don't like the
    S60 GUI and find the range of applications available disappointing.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk


  4. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    In article <8sq7v3pi9btkdc1tbj3s41fhn55uv2kpli@4ax.com>,
    richard seed wrote:

    > Has anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it i would like
    > something of the sort and the new psion baesd os looks interesting
    > a link here
    > http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863


    QVGA (240 x 320) display does not argue for the sort of full featured
    applications typical of the old Epoc system. So far I have thought the
    phone derivatives of Epoc have totally missed the boat.

    Personally I am hoping that some of the Intel Atom based Linux wifi
    enabled gadgets can fill the place of my Psion (at least the Psion 7).
    However I am not expecting them to get anywhere near the small size and
    low power consumption of the smaller Psions.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  5. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    On Apr 4, 7:43*am, Eric Lindsay
    wrote:
    > In article <8sq7v3pi9btkdc1tbj3s41fhn55uv2k...@4ax.com>,
    > *richard seed wrote:
    >
    > > Has *anyone seen one of these in the plastic and used it *i would like
    > > something of the sort *and the new psion baesd os looks interesting
    > > *a link here
    > >http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/di...?deviceId=2863

    >
    > QVGA (240 x 320) display does not argue for the sort of full featured
    > applications typical of the old Epoc system. So far I have thought the
    > phone derivatives of Epoc have totally missed the boat.
    >

    I have been very disappointed in the various versions of Symbian. It
    seems as tho we are gong back in time in that despite the new "whizz
    bang" s/w we are accomplishing less yet using more memory and power
    compared with original Epoc machines. I think most of the lurkers in
    this newsgroup are still looking for the ideal replacement for our
    Psions, but many dollars later I'm still a disappointed seeker. I
    check this group every week just in case seomone discovers nirvana -
    I'm a supreme optimist!

  6. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    Quoting mrripcurl's message of Yesterday:

    > I have been very disappointed in the various versions of Symbian. It
    > seems as tho we are gong back in time in that despite the new "whizz
    > bang" s/w we are accomplishing less yet using more memory and power
    > compared with original Epoc machines. I think most of the lurkers in
    > this newsgroup are still looking for the ideal replacement for our
    > Psions, but many dollars later I'm still a disappointed seeker. I
    > check this group every week just in case seomone discovers nirvana -
    > I'm a supreme optimist!


    Maybe you'd be better joining Christian, myself, and many others back
    in the EPOC fold! The machines are still common on eBay, though they do
    seem to be holding their prices.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  7. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Quoting mrripcurl's message of Yesterday:
    >
    >> I have been very disappointed in the various versions of Symbian. It
    >> seems as tho we are gong back in time in that despite the new "whizz
    >> bang" s/w we are accomplishing less yet using more memory and power
    >> compared with original Epoc machines. I think most of the lurkers in
    >> this newsgroup are still looking for the ideal replacement for our
    >> Psions, but many dollars later I'm still a disappointed seeker. I
    >> check this group every week just in case seomone discovers nirvana -
    >> I'm a supreme optimist!

    >
    > Maybe you'd be better joining Christian, myself, and many others back
    > in the EPOC fold! The machines are still common on eBay, though they
    > do seem to be holding their prices.


    Mine wore out, and I have never quite recovered

    Dweeb



  8. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    Quoting CyberCityNews's message of Yesterday:

    > Mine wore out, and I have never quite recovered


    That is the big problem. Maintenance can be expensive, if you're not a
    dab hand with a soldering iron. So far, I consider it worth it.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  9. Re: LG-KT610 possible psion replacement

    On Apr 6, 11:45*pm, Damian Walker wrote:
    > Quoting mrripcurl's message of Yesterday:
    >
    > > I have been very disappointed in the various versions of Symbian. It
    > > seems as tho we are gong back in time in that despite the new "whizz
    > > bang" s/w we are accomplishing less yet using more memory and power
    > > compared with original Epoc machines. I think most of the lurkers in
    > > this newsgroup are still looking for the ideal replacement for our
    > > Psions, but many dollars later I'm still a disappointed *seeker. I
    > > check this group every week just in case seomone discovers nirvana -
    > > I'm a supreme optimist!

    >
    > Maybe you'd be better joining Christian, myself, and many others back
    > in the EPOC fold! *The machines are still common on eBay, though they do
    > seem to be holding their prices.
    >
    > --
    > Damian -http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    > For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.


    I know, but I really only want to lug around one item, not a phone
    plus a PDA. Have an N95 at moment but very disappointed. Am about to
    knock off my last working S5 on ebay, then will probably offer two
    partly demolished 5mx (between them should make one working 5mx but
    the cost for the non-techo me to have someone else put them back
    together is not worth my while). I will mourn them, and the silly
    thing is that I had to boot up the S5 just last week as the N95 went
    on the blink at the same time as my ISP overloaded and wanted to
    urgently send an email.

+ Reply to Thread