Tips for a Faulty Osaris? - Scion

This is a discussion on Tips for a Faulty Osaris? - Scion ; Hello everyone, I recently bought an Osaris, which appears to have a fault. Everything seems to work fine, apart from the Compact Flash slot. In all cases the Osaris fails to recognise the CompactFlash card. On trying to format the ...

  1. Tips for a Faulty Osaris?

    Hello everyone,

    I recently bought an Osaris, which appears to have a fault. Everything
    seems to work fine, apart from the Compact Flash slot. In all cases the
    Osaris fails to recognise the CompactFlash card. On trying to format
    the disk, I get the error message "Disk not present", and the same error
    is displayed on the screen when I try to look at the contents of a
    working, formatted CF card on that machine. Is there any known problem
    and/or fix that I can try, before little Ossy gets consigned to land
    fill?

    I've tried 16MB CompactFlash cards from a variety of places, usually
    disused backup cards. In one particular instance the card was one which
    I still use for backup, which is therefore confirmed working. As well
    as trying different CF cards, I've also had a look at the slot for
    obvious blockages, but my inexpert eyes see nothing that would prevent
    the card from being inserted. Indeed, the card feels as if it has been
    pushed home just like in my other machines.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  2. Re: Tips for a Faulty Osaris?

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I recently bought an Osaris, which appears to have a fault. Everything
    > seems to work fine, apart from the Compact Flash slot. In all cases the
    > Osaris fails to recognise the CompactFlash card. On trying to format
    > the disk, I get the error message "Disk not present", and the same error
    > is displayed on the screen when I try to look at the contents of a
    > working, formatted CF card on that machine. Is there any known problem
    > and/or fix that I can try, before little Ossy gets consigned to land fill?
    >
    > I've tried 16MB CompactFlash cards from a variety of places, usually
    > disused backup cards. In one particular instance the card was one which
    > I still use for backup, which is therefore confirmed working. As well
    > as trying different CF cards, I've also had a look at the slot for
    > obvious blockages, but my inexpert eyes see nothing that would prevent
    > the card from being inserted. Indeed, the card feels as if it has been
    > pushed home just like in my other machines.

    look for the sensor that tells the machine a CF card is inserted and see
    if it is damaged

  3. Re: Tips for a Faulty Osaris?

    Quoting limestone-cowboy's message of Sunday:

    > look for the sensor that tells the machine a CF card is inserted and see if
    > it is damaged

    Thanks! I had a look inside, but I couldn't detect any apparent damage
    anywhere. I compared it with my working Osaris and both looked the
    same. I think I'll soon be putting the faulty unit on eBay for spares
    or repair, as it's beyond my skills to get it to read a CF card--if it's
    at all possible.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

+ Reply to Thread