This is what Psion has become! - Scion

This is a discussion on This is what Psion has become! - Scion ; I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard. http://www.psionteklogix.com/public....ducts&pID=4859...

  1. This is what Psion has become!

    I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    http://www.psionteklogix.com/public....ducts&pID=4859

  2. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    Hi Stephen,

    Yes, I also would like to have this Psion Ikn, but unfortunatly it's price
    keeps me far away from it for now.

    Regards,

    Richard

    "Stephen" schreef in bericht
    >I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.
    >
    > http://www.psionteklogix.com/public....ducts&pID=4859

  3. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    > Yes, I also would like to have this Psion Ikn, but unfortunatly it's
    > price keeps me far away from it for now.

    To give you an idea, Psion Teklogix IKON is priced between
    2000 - 3000 EUR plus VAT.

    Christoph

  4. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    Stephen wrote:

    > I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    Stephen,

    I have a Nokia E90. It *is* a Nokia N95 with a QWERTY keyboard. It is
    eerie to put it next to my 3mx: smaller yet faster and more capacious
    -- and with a phone glued to the back!!

    Cheers,
    David

    Longford,
    Ireland.

  5. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    On Mar 21, 1:03*am, David Catterall wrote:
    > Stephen wrote:
    > > I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    Why would they put a Windoze operating system on it? Okay, going for
    marketability I presume, but anyone forking out those kinds of bucks
    is unlikely to be your mainstream mom and pop user.

    You can get a foldable keyboard for N95 but it's nothing like the
    keyboard on my series 5 [I have both but the 5 just gathers dust
    nowadays as I cannot lug 2 items around and the N95 does most of what
    I want but emails typed using my thumb take forever!]

  6. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    Stephen wrote:

    > I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    I have a Nokia n810: it has a QWERTY keyboard, and a daylight readable
    colour screen. It is Linux rather than Symbian, so a much wider range of
    software is available.

  7. Re: This is what Psion has become! N810

    > > I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    > I have a Nokia n810: it has a QWERTY keyboard, and a daylight readable
    > colour screen. It is Linux rather than Symbian, so a much wider range of
    > software is available.

    How good is the keyboard on the Nokia N810, is it up to 5MX standards? I
    think I am going to have to replace my Psion fairly soon, but I just
    can't find anything as small with a decent keyboard

  8. Re: This is what Psion has become! N810

    On 2008-03-22, Gerald H wrote:

    >> I have a Nokia n810: it has a QWERTY keyboard, and a daylight readable
    >> colour screen. It is Linux rather than Symbian, so a much wider range of
    >> software is available.

    > How good is the keyboard on the Nokia N810, is it up to 5MX standards? I
    > think I am going to have to replace my Psion fairly soon, but I just
    > can't find anything as small with a decent keyboard

    No, it's nowhere near as good as a 5mx's. But then the device itself is
    about the same size as a Revo, and the keyboard is a slide-up affair.
    The keyboard on an N810 is much more useful than anything on-screen
    (whether a keyboard or handwriting recognition) but it's thumb-style
    typing.

    Still, IMHO, the N810 is one of the best portable devices around at the
    moment, especially if you want a separate, small phone which you can use
    with it (exactly as we used Psions)

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  9. Re: This is what Psion has become! N810

    Gerald H wrote:

    >> > I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian
    >> > and all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty
    >> > good, but I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.

    >> I have a Nokia n810: it has a QWERTY keyboard, and a daylight
    >> readable colour screen. It is Linux rather than Symbian, so a much
    >> wider range of software is available.

    > How good is the keyboard on the Nokia N810, is it up to 5MX standards?
    > I think I am going to have to replace my Psion fairly soon, but I just
    > can't find anything as small with a decent keyboard

    No, nothing remotely that size is up to 5MX standards.

    the n810 keyboard is much smaller then the Psion 5 keyboard, and has fewer
    keys so you are very dependant on the various shift keys. It isn't bad once
    you get the hang of it but no way could you describe it as comfortable. The
    software provides a word completion feature which speeds things up somewhat
    especially as it automatically learns from your input.

    I'm happy using it to send emails, but if I want to mess around with a
    shell prompt then I ssh in from another system. I know some people use a
    bluetooth or usb keyboard but that kind of defeats the point of having a
    device with a builtin keyboard at all. Other options for input include an
    on-screen keyboard, and handwriting recognition.

    For note-taking in meetings I use xournal: that lets me scribble as though
    on a pad of paper, it doesn't do handwriting recognition so all I get at
    the end is the same as I'd get on a sheet of paper, but it works for me.
    Also there's a certain pose factor when someone wants a document reviewed
    to email them a pdf with handwritten scribbles all over it.

  10. Re: This is what Psion has become!

    Hi,

    I still don't look for an alternate device. My Psion 5mx does what it has
    always done - excellent Agenda and To-Do-Management, simple Databases to
    store alle the Data i need, a Notebook that i use to make my notices in all
    my meetings and a lot of applications to do the rest. I'm still able to
    synchronize with Outlook or Groupwise even under Vista (Calender, Contacts).
    I combine it with a Blackberry Curve to read my mails and to have online
    access to the internet.
    And my psion runs for 25 hours with one set of accumulators.

    Ciao,
    Christian

    "Stephen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I still would like a new generation Psion palm top, using Symbian and
    > all the latest gadgets. I have a Nokia N95, which is pretty good, but
    > I wish it had a QWERTY keyboard.
    >
    > http://www.psionteklogix.com/public....ducts&pID=4859

+ Reply to Thread