Net Apple/Mac serial cable - Scion

This is a discussion on Net Apple/Mac serial cable - Scion ; Hello, I have a Psion 5mx. Need Mac serial cable. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? Know where I could get one? I am seriously considering a Mac for my next PC. Tired of virus, worms, and ...

  1. Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Hello, I have a Psion 5mx. Need Mac serial cable.

    Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
    Know where I could get one?
    I am seriously considering a Mac for my next PC.

    Tired of virus, worms, and such.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Labrat wrote:

    > Hello, I have a Psion 5mx. Need Mac serial cable.
    >
    > Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
    > Know where I could get one?
    > I am seriously considering a Mac for my next PC.

    New Macs haven't had the old-style Mac serial ports for years. I'd doubt
    very much that a Psion Mac cable would be any use to you.

    I've been using my old 3mx with a new Mac (Mac Mini), but I use a PC
    serial cable fed through a Keyspan USB-serial adaptor. I don't know how
    well that would work with PsiMac etc. though. I haven't been able to run
    that software successfully for years.

    Another newer Mac option is to install Windows on your Mac (possible on
    newer versions of Macs such as those running MacOS version 10.5+), boot
    into that, and run PsiWin directly that way. Again the USB-serial
    adaptor + PC cable are needed to link to the Psion. I've been using this
    lately to link to my 3mx. For the first time in years I've been able to
    backup the 3mx properly.

    Viv Dunstan

  3. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Quoting Vivienne Dunstan's message of Yesterday:

    > Another newer Mac option is to install Windows on your Mac (possible on
    > newer versions of Macs such as those running MacOS version 10.5+), boot
    > into that, and run PsiWin directly that way. Again the USB-serial
    > adaptor + PC cable are needed to link to the Psion. I've been using this
    > lately to link to my 3mx. For the first time in years I've been able to
    > backup the 3mx properly.

    I've never used a Mac, unfortunately, but with them now being
    Unix-based, I would assume that some Unix-like solutions would be
    practical for connectivity. Currently I run a PPP server on a Linux
    desktop machine, so the Psion can connect directly. For file transfer I
    run an FTP server on the desktop machine and nFTP on the Psion, with
    nConvert on the Psion doing all the file conversions. Previously I ran
    2connectU on the Psion and the web browser on the desktop, which managed
    file transfer and conversions, and had a proper backup feature. Would a
    solution like these, along with the USB/serial cable, be practical on
    the Mac?

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  4. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Damian Walker wrote:

    > I've never used a Mac, unfortunately, but with them now being
    > Unix-based, I would assume that some Unix-like solutions would be
    > practical for connectivity.

    Quite possibly, though perhaps tricky to set up for Mac users not so
    comfortable with Unix.

    Personally I've no experience of using the Psion 5 with a Mac - I didn't
    upgrade when the 5 was launched because of the poor Mac connectivity
    compared with the Psion 3 family. But there is a useful website listing
    Psion 5-Mac options (though not the Unix/FTP one you've suggested) at
    http://www-np.unimaas.nl/maas/s5/

    Viv Dunstan

  5. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Quoting Vivienne Dunstan's message of Yesterday:

    > Quite possibly, though perhaps tricky to set up for Mac users not so
    > comfortable with Unix.

    And tricky enough for some Unix users not so comfortable with Unix!
    I'll have to write a howto on the subject at some point soon.

    > Personally I've no experience of using the Psion 5 with a Mac - I didn't
    > upgrade when the 5 was launched because of the poor Mac connectivity
    > compared with the Psion 3 family. But there is a useful website listing
    > Psion 5-Mac options (though not the Unix/FTP one you've suggested) at
    > http://www-np.unimaas.nl/maas/s5/

    There are also some pages about Mac connectivity on Chris Cooper's Psion
    Wiki, which might be useful to people (they may include the one above as
    I've not had chance to look at them):

    http://psionwiki.wikidot.com/

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  6. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Thanks for your input. I hadn't even thought about PsiMac.

    I don't want to put XP on the Mac for the exact reason I am trying to
    cross over to the Mac. Tired of all the nonsense with virus, trojans,
    etc.

    A dilemma I have to factor in when I make my purchase. I believe almost
    all other really important hardware/software can work on either machine.

    I will continue to keep an eye out. Thanks!

    Vivienne Dunstan wrote:

    >Labrat wrote:
    >

    >>Hello, I have a Psion 5mx. Need Mac serial cable.
    >>
    >>Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
    >>Know where I could get one?
    >>I am seriously considering a Mac for my next PC.
    >>

    >New Macs haven't had the old-style Mac serial ports for years. I'd doubt
    >very much that a Psion Mac cable would be any use to you.
    >
    >I've been using my old 3mx with a new Mac (Mac Mini), but I use a PC
    >serial cable fed through a Keyspan USB-serial adaptor. I don't know how
    >well that would work with PsiMac etc. though. I haven't been able to run
    >that software successfully for years.
    >
    >Another newer Mac option is to install Windows on your Mac (possible on
    >newer versions of Macs such as those running MacOS version 10.5+), boot
    >into that, and run PsiWin directly that way. Again the USB-serial
    >adaptor + PC cable are needed to link to the Psion. I've been using this
    >lately to link to my 3mx. For the first time in years I've been able to
    >backup the 3mx properly.
    >
    >Viv Dunstan

  7. Re: Net Apple/Mac serial cable

    Labrat wrote:

    > Thanks for your input. I hadn't even thought about PsiMac.

    Afraid that was a slip on my part. It's software for use with Psion 3
    models only (I have a 3mx). See the website I mentioned
    (http://www-np.unimaas.nl/maas/s5/) for a discussion of Psion 5 options,
    some of which are MacOS 9 only and so won't run on newer Macs at all.

    Damian's Unix/FTP suggestion is another one that might work, now that
    nConvert is available to do the file conversions.

    Psion 5 and Mac connectivity traditionally is appalling.

    Viv Dunstan

+ Reply to Thread