Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay - Scion

This is a discussion on Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay - Scion ; Well, it's time to say goodbye to you all, and to the best PDA that was. Due to other needs, I have moved on to Palm, and so am auctioning all my Psion kit (plenty of oddities and difficult to ...

  1. Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Well, it's time to say goodbye to you all, and to the best PDA that
    was. Due to other needs, I have moved on to Palm, and so am
    auctioning all my Psion kit (plenty of oddities and difficult to find
    software CDs). Search for "srtgray" to find them. I'm sad, because I
    have been using Psions (3a, 3c, 3mx, 5, 5mx and 5mx Pro) for over a
    decade now (anyone remember "Three For All" in Psion User Magazine? -
    I wrote the last year's worth of that column), but they just don't do
    what I need now. What a shame Psion haven't the guts to put out an
    updated 5mx, with Bluetooth, WiFi, colour screen and of course their
    excellent keyboard. SDHC card, USB MSD for storage, USB master for
    printing would make it a PDA worth the name - all based on the latest
    Symbian, but with the classic EIKON interface. If they do, I'll be
    back!

    Cheers,
    Stuart Gray

  2. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Quoting srtgray's message of Yesterday:

    > I'm sad, because I have been using Psions (3a, 3c, 3mx, 5, 5mx and 5mx
    > Pro) for over a decade now

    Yes, nothing comes close. I remember being impressed by my first Psion,
    an Organiser II LZ, in 1992, and drooling over the Series 3 classic
    which I didn't get until 2007! I have an old Palm - well, a Handspring
    Visor - which is all very nice, but I couldn't envisage using it for any
    serious purpose. Even the Osaris beats it hands down.

    > (anyone remember "Three For All" in Psion User Magazine? -
    > I wrote the last year's worth of that column),

    Yes, I've been collecting Palmtop Magazines. By the time the Series 3
    content was largely confined to 3 for all, my trusty 3a had broken and
    I'd moved on to the 5mx.

    > What a shame Psion haven't the guts to put out an updated 5mx, with
    > Bluetooth, WiFi, colour screen and of course their excellent keyboard.
    > SDHC card, USB MSD for storage, USB master for printing would make it
    > a PDA worth the name - all based on the latest Symbian, but with the
    > classic EIKON interface. If they do, I'll be back!

    I'd be surprised if they ever did, having moved out of the consumer PDA
    market altogether. I'm reasonably confident that, at some point in the
    future, some other PDA manufacturer might come up with the "original"
    idea of putting a decent laptop-style keyboard into a modern PDA. One
    thing I don't expect to see is the very feature that's kept me wedded to
    Psions since the Organiser II: a decent, useful, built-in programming
    language.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  3. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    srtgray wrote:
    > Well, it's time to say goodbye to you all, and to the best PDA that
    > was. Due to other needs, I have moved on to Palm, and so am
    > auctioning all my Psion kit (plenty of oddities and difficult to find
    > software CDs). Search for "srtgray" to find them.

    on eBay, of course!

    Stuart

  4. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > I'd be surprised if they ever did, having moved out of the consumer
    > PDA market altogether. I'm reasonably confident that, at some point
    > in the future, some other PDA manufacturer might come up with the
    > "original" idea of putting a decent laptop-style keyboard into a
    > modern PDA. One thing I don't expect to see is the very feature
    > that's kept me wedded to Psions since the Organiser II: a decent,
    > useful, built-in programming language.

    Even Fujitsu-Siemens has dropped its consumer "Loox" range of PDAs (shortly
    after I bought mine!) despite apparent success...

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  5. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Quoting Mike Coon's message of Yesterday:

    > Even Fujitsu-Siemens has dropped its consumer "Loox" range of PDAs (shortly
    > after I bought mine!) despite apparent success...

    I haven't seen that one, though to be honest, I've avoided the
    discussions about getting rid of Psions for something else, as I've no
    intention of getting rid of mine!

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  6. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Quoting srtgray's message of Yesterday:

    >> What a shame Psion haven't the guts to put out an updated 5mx, with
    >> Bluetooth, WiFi, colour screen and of course their excellent keyboard.
    >> SDHC card, USB MSD for storage, USB master for printing would make it
    >> a PDA worth the name - all based on the latest Symbian, but with the
    >> classic EIKON interface. If they do, I'll be back!

    > I'd be surprised if they ever did, having moved out of the consumer PDA
    > market altogether. I'm reasonably confident that, at some point in the
    > future, some other PDA manufacturer might come up with the "original"
    > idea of putting a decent laptop-style keyboard into a modern PDA. One
    > thing I don't expect to see is the very feature that's kept me wedded to
    > Psions since the Organiser II: a decent, useful, built-in programming
    > language.

    The eee pc ( http://eeepc.asus.com/global/ ) runs linux, so it's surely
    possible to do some programming on it... but you're right, it would be
    nice to have something built in.

    The eee is too big anyway. When I read a 7" form factor on the website,
    it sounded good, because the Psion is about 7" in diagonal too; but it
    turns out that it's only the screen that is that size, and there's a big
    bezel around it.

    Frank

  7. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    I saw the eee pc also. It is the cutest thing. BUT it is larger than
    my Psion 5mx which made me pause. Darn it. I am trying to go from PC
    to Mac and I am having trouble finding all the supporting Mac
    software/hardware to link my Psion 5mx. So....a possible replacement
    was the eee. Maybe not.

    Labrat

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > The eee pc ( http://eeepc.asus.com/global/ ) runs linux, so it's
    > surely possible to do some programming on it... but you're right, it
    > would be nice to have something built in.
    >
    > The eee is too big anyway. When I read a 7" form factor on the
    > website, it sounded good, because the Psion is about 7" in diagonal
    > too; but it turns out that it's only the screen that is that size, and
    > there's a big bezel around it.
    >
    > Frank

  8. Re: Goodbye, and my Psion kit is on eBay

    Quoting Frank Peelo's message of Yesterday:

    > The eee is too big anyway. When I read a 7" form factor on the website, it
    > sounded good, because the Psion is about 7" in diagonal too; but it turns out
    > that it's only the screen that is that size, and there's a big bezel around
    > it.

    The EEE looks like it would be a nice replacement for the Series 7, if I
    intended replacing the Series 7. Since I run Linux on the desktop I'd
    be much more likely to buy an EEE as a replacement for most of my
    desktop PC's functions. I'm not sure if it would be up to graphic
    design, though!

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

+ Reply to Thread