Screen shot problems - Scion

This is a discussion on Screen shot problems - Scion ; Hello everyone, In gathering screen shots for the EPOC32 games database I've found an oddity of EPOC's screen shot feature. It seems that if a program uses sprites, the sprites won't appear on a screen shot. Examples I've seen are ...

  1. Screen shot problems

    Hello everyone,

    In gathering screen shots for the EPOC32 games database I've found an
    oddity of EPOC's screen shot feature. It seems that if a program uses
    sprites, the sprites won't appear on a screen shot. Examples I've seen
    are Castle III and Zheroes. I'm sure in most cases I can pick through
    the games' MBM files and manually paste things onto the screen shot.
    But that would be cheating (and more importantly, very time consuming).
    Is there an easy way around this?

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  2. Re: Screen shot problems

    "Damian Walker" wrote in message
    > Examples I've seen are Castle III and Zheroes. I'm sure in most cases I
    > can pick through the games' MBM files and manually paste things onto the
    > screen shot. But that would be cheating (and more importantly, very time
    > consuming). Is there an easy way around this?

    I can't speak for Zheroes, but for Castle 3 a way around it would be to run
    it under the EPOC emulator, making sure you're running the mono version
    rather than the colour version. Yes, it's cheating in a way but you
    shouldn't be able to tell the difference!

  3. Re: Screen shot problems

    Quoting Darren Prescott's message of Friday:

    > I can't speak for Zheroes, but for Castle 3 a way around it would be to run
    > it under the EPOC emulator, making sure you're running the mono version
    > rather than the colour version. Yes, it's cheating in a way but you shouldn't
    > be able to tell the difference!

    I've done this, thanks for the tip! I've managed to get a Geofox screen
    shot this way, too. I did cheat with the Revo and Osaris screen shots,
    though, pasting the little character sprite onto the old screen shots.

    I'm pleasantly surprised that Castle III is an OPL application. I'm
    still exploring what's practical in OPL and it's interesting to see how
    far people have already gone with it.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

  4. Re: Screen shot problems

    "Damian Walker" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0802241241240.2875@nero.devel.s nigfarp.karoo.net...
    > I'm pleasantly surprised that Castle III is an OPL application. I'm still
    > exploring what's practical in OPL and it's interesting to see how far
    > people have already gone with it.

    Castle 3's interesting in that it effectively generates its own UI, rather
    than using ready-made elements. For example, it uses a proc to generate
    quite a few of its dialog boxes, which has the upshot that it'll look the
    same on all devices.

    Likewise, it doesn't use the standard toolbar module as can be shown by
    running it on an Osaris. I've heard anecdotally (not having one myself) that
    you can tap on the clock on the toolbar to toggle between analogue/digital,
    something that's not otherwise possible.

    The downside of all that is it means more memory usage, but it adds a bit of
    atmosphere to the game.

    Incidentally Castle 2 did the same sort of thing on SIBO (or EPOC16, or
    whatever it's called these days) - that also generated its own dialogs
    rather than using the standard controls.

  5. Re: Screen shot problems

    Quoting Darren Prescott's message of Yesterday:

    > Castle 3's interesting in that it effectively generates its own UI,
    > rather than using ready-made elements. For example, it uses a proc to
    > generate quite a few of its dialog boxes, which has the upshot that
    > it'll look the same on all devices. Likewise, it doesn't use the
    > standard toolbar module as can be shown by running it on an Osaris.

    I've never used the toolbar in my own games, partly for the same reason
    as you, and the same reason I assume most Windows game authors don't use
    standard window borders, i.e. it compromises the atmosphere of the game.
    I even used internal help pages in War In Ancient Times. I've never
    found the time to do my own dialog boxes, though I might do that in a
    future project.

    > I've heard anecdotally (not having one myself) that you can tap on the
    > clock on the toolbar to toggle between analogue/digital, something
    > that's not otherwise possible.

    Yes indeed it does, though on the Osaris the game is best played without
    the toolbar as it's quite big - i.e. it's Series 5 size rather than the
    smaller size usually used on the Osaris. The fact that it takes up
    screen space is another reason I don't tend to use the toolbar. I'd
    rather have the flexibility to put the buttons where I like.

    > Incidentally Castle 2 did the same sort of thing on SIBO (or EPOC16, or
    > whatever it's called these days) - that also generated its own dialogs rather
    > than using the standard controls.

    I've never got around to trying the earlier versions. I should, as I've
    got the machines to play with. Did any of your games work on the Series
    3 Classic? I have an unexplainable fondness for that machine.

    --
    Damian - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    For email replies, substitute "psion" for "damian" in my email address.

+ Reply to Thread