dead netbook :(( - Scion

This is a discussion on dead netbook :(( - Scion ; I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch ...

  1. dead netbook :((

    I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in
    holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged the
    main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the back
    light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get any
    further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get any
    display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries and
    left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((

    mike

  2. Re: dead netbook :((

    Mike Barrett wrote:

    > I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in
    > holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged
    > the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the
    > back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get any
    > further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get
    > any display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries
    > and left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    > Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((

    Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    (just guessing wildly here...)

  3. Re: dead netbook :((

    "Iordani" wrote in message
    > Mike Barrett wrote:
    >
    >> I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in
    >> holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged
    >> the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the
    >> back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get
    >> any
    >> further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get
    >> any display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries
    >> and left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    >> Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((

    > Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    > (just guessing wildly here...)

    I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not work.
    tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG file, but
    the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light comes on and
    thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    Any ideas?
    mike
    ** since I brought in 2003 I have never had to reload the OS and i think it
    has only crashed (needing reset button) twice! I had not realised just how
    reliable it was...

  4. Re: dead netbook :((

    Hi Mike,

    Have you tried the ultimate Hard Reset by removing all batteries including
    backup batterie and wait for about 10 minutes after which you replace them
    all and startup?

    Richard

    "Mike Barrett" schreef in bericht

    > "Iordani" wrote in message
    >> Mike Barrett wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left
    >>> in
    >>> holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged
    >>> the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the
    >>> back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get
    >>> any
    >>> further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get
    >>> any display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries
    >>> and left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    >>> Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((

    >> Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    >> (just guessing wildly here...)

    > I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not work.
    > tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG file, but
    > the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light comes on and
    > thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    > Any ideas?
    > mike
    > ** since I brought in 2003 I have never had to reload the OS and i think
    > it has only crashed (needing reset button) twice! I had not realised just
    > how reliable it was...

  5. Re: dead netbook :((

    Yes! still no go.
    mike
    "Richard van Stappershoef" wrote in
    message news:47337666$0$87384$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Have you tried the ultimate Hard Reset by removing all batteries including
    > backup batterie and wait for about 10 minutes after which you replace them
    > all and startup?
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "Mike Barrett" schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> "Iordani" wrote in message

    >>> Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    >>> (just guessing wildly here...)

    >> I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not
    >> work. tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG
    >> file, but the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light
    >> comes on and thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> mike
    >> ** since I brought in 2003 I have never had to reload the OS and i think
    >> it has only crashed (needing reset button) twice! I had not realised just
    >> how reliable it was...

  6. Re: dead netbook :((

    Mike Barrett wrote:

    > "Iordani" wrote in message
    >> Mike Barrett wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left
    >>> in holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have
    >>> recharged the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch
    >>> makes the back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it
    >>> doesnt get any
    >>> further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get
    >>> any display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries
    >>> and left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    >>> Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((

    >> Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    >> (just guessing wildly here...)

    > I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not work.
    > tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG file, but
    > the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light comes on and
    > thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    > Any ideas?

    Not really. Did you leave it in damp conditions?
    Then I guess it could be anything...

    You could try removing the personality module and restart.
    If it behaves the same way one could suspect some (contact?) problem here
    maybe.

    The personality module sits under the right lid (upper right corner) just
    under the screen. Open the screen half ways and you can see it. Remove
    batteries first and beware of static electricity!!!

  7. Re: dead netbook :((

    "Iordani" wrote in message
    > Mike Barrett wrote:
    >

    >> "Iordani" wrote in message

    >>> Do you have the OS on the CF card and is the card inserted?
    >>> (just guessing wildly here...)

    >> I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not
    >> work.
    >> tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG file, but
    >> the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light comes on and
    >> thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    >> Any ideas?

    > Not really. Did you leave it in damp conditions?
    > Then I guess it could be anything...
    >
    > You could try removing the personality module and restart.
    > If it behaves the same way one could suspect some (contact?) problem here
    > maybe.
    >
    > The personality module sits under the right lid (upper right corner) just
    > under the screen. Open the screen half ways and you can see it. Remove
    > batteries first and beware of static electricity!!!

    Interesting ideas! I have removed the module and the extra memory. I did
    notice some slight corrosion on the edge connector (which I have cleaned)
    off the module so I am begining to think it might have got damp.
    I think I might strip it down and have a look inside. It was sitting on its
    own in an unheated cottage in the lakes (actually by a river...) for 2
    weeks! Anyone have a guide on how to take a Netbook to pieces? I have the
    tools and facilites to safely take it apart.
    cheers
    mike

  8. Re: dead netbook :((

    Mike Barrett wrote:

    > Anyone have a guide on how to take a Netbook to pieces? I have the
    > tools and facilites to safely take it apart.
    > cheers

    Here is one
    http://netwinder.osuosl.org/users/c/...tbook/insides/

  9. Re: dead netbook :((

    Just for info, I offer a Netbook repair service:
    http://www.pulster.de/engl/
    index.html?d__netbrepair___b_Repair_service___Psio n_Netbook__b_451.htm

    Chris

  10. Re: dead netbook :((

    Hi Mike,

    Look in your mailbox, for the netBook service manual from Psion!

    > "Iordani" wrote in message
    >> Mike Barrett wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Iordani" wrote in message

    >>> I had forgotten about booting the OS...(**) but tried it and did not
    >>> work.
    >>> tried 3 different CF cards and 2 different copies of the OS.IMG file,
    >>> but
    >>> the netbook does not do anything. Switch it on, back light comes on and
    >>> thats it. Cant even switch off with the on/off switch.
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Not really. Did you leave it in damp conditions?
    >> Then I guess it could be anything...
    >>
    >> You could try removing the personality module and restart.
    >> If it behaves the same way one could suspect some (contact?) problem here
    >> maybe.
    >>
    >> The personality module sits under the right lid (upper right corner) just
    >> under the screen. Open the screen half ways and you can see it. Remove
    >> batteries first and beware of static electricity!!!
    >>

    > Interesting ideas! I have removed the module and the extra memory. I did
    > notice some slight corrosion on the edge connector (which I have cleaned)
    > off the module so I am begining to think it might have got damp.
    > I think I might strip it down and have a look inside. It was sitting on
    > its own in an unheated cottage in the lakes (actually by a river...) for 2
    > weeks! Anyone have a guide on how to take a Netbook to pieces? I have the
    > tools and facilites to safely take it apart.
    > cheers
    > mike

  11. Re: dead netbook :((

    "Mike Barrett" wrote in message
    >I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in
    >holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged
    >the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the
    >back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get any
    >further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get any
    >display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries and
    >left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    > Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((
    >
    > mike

    Thanks for all the help guy but its still dead, have opened it up and there
    is no sign that it has got damp so dont really understand whats killed it.
    So the difficult choice is whether to get it repaired or face up to getting
    something more modern. I tend to use it for web, spreadsheet and word. For
    webbing it was not great due to the lack of colours and the age of the web
    browser (Opera), but for occasional spreadsheet and word work it was
    excellent!
    I am thinking of either a EEEPC or Nokia 810 (I have a nokia 700, brought
    for 70 new and its great but no keyboard and very small screen) or combine
    everything (and get rid of my last MX5) and go for a smart phone such as the
    Nokia E90? At least that has a decent OS! I have a Windows based PDA (used
    as a GPS) and do not want to go down the Mobile Windows route.
    Any other suggestions?
    thanks again
    mike

  12. Re: dead netbook :((

    > "Mike Barrett" wrote in message
    > >I have a netbook (Sita one) that has been left for about 4 weeks (left in
    > >holiday cottage) and the batteries were completly flat. I have recharged
    > >the main one but cant get the Netbook to start. The On switch makes the
    > >back light come on but thats it. Have tried reseting but it doesnt get

    any
    > >further than the back light. have tried using the contrast but cant get

    any
    > >display and there are no beeps. Have removed the recharged batteries and
    > >left it and then replaced it but still no joy.
    > > Any idea how to get it going or is it dead ((
    > >
    > > mike
    > >

    > Thanks for all the help guy but its still dead, have opened it up and

    there
    > is no sign that it has got damp so dont really understand whats killed it.
    > So the difficult choice is whether to get it repaired or face up to

    getting
    > something more modern. I tend to use it for web, spreadsheet and word.

    For
    > webbing it was not great due to the lack of colours and the age of the web
    > browser (Opera), but for occasional spreadsheet and word work it was
    > excellent!
    > I am thinking of either a EEEPC or Nokia 810 (I have a nokia 700, brought
    > for 70 new and its great but no keyboard and very small screen) or

    combine
    > everything (and get rid of my last MX5) and go for a smart phone such as

    the
    > Nokia E90? At least that has a decent OS! I have a Windows based PDA (used
    > as a GPS) and do not want to go down the Mobile Windows route.
    > Any other suggestions?
    > thanks again
    > mike

    Just a quick update. I have brought a EEEPC. Quite impressed, great for
    webbing, can play videos and music off the web and from my server (seems to
    integrate with a Windows network well) and can use windows printers. The
    build quality is not as good as the Psion and the layout and keys are much
    worse (more like the 5MX). Also the Psion Netbook could be shut down and
    restarted straight away, with the EEEPC you either put it to sleep or switch
    it off (although reboot is much faster than a Windows portable). Also the
    battery life is not as good as the the Netbook, about 3 hours with wifi and
    bright screen, but then it has full colour screen, good networking (WiFi)
    and good multimedia progs, your cant get all that and a long battery
    life....
    So its good but does make you realise how very good the Netbook is/was if
    only it had been developed further but thats another story (bit like all the
    lost opportunites of the british motor industry...).
    Not sure what to do with my Netbook, probably put it on Ebay and hope
    someone can use it.. I have GPS and wifi card for it if anyone interested.
    cheers
    mike

  13. Re: dead netbook :((

    Hi Mike,

    Would like to have it for my Psioncollection. Please send me an email?

    Regards,

    > Not sure what to do with my Netbook, probably put it on Ebay and hope
    > someone can use it.. I have GPS and wifi card for it if anyone interested.
    > cheers
    > mike

+ Reply to Thread