Psion 7 won't connect to PC - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 7 won't connect to PC - Scion ; Hi, all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there ...

  1. Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    Hi,

    all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.

    Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.
    --
    Wilf

  2. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    > so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    > reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there is
    > a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the PC
    > is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to it
    > successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in the
    > Psion and it is not detected by the PC.

    Are you absolutely sure that the serial port on the Psion has not been
    turned off by accident.

    'Ctrl-L' (Link) followed by 'C' (Cable) will turn it back on again.

    similarly

    Ctrl-L followed by 'O' (Off) will turn it off.

    It is usually a good idea to keep it off when not in use as it does affect
    battery consumption.

  3. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 31/10/2007 11:33 am, M.I.5¾ wrote:

    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    >> so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >> reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there is
    >> a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the PC
    >> is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to it
    >> successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in the
    >> Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >>

    > Are you absolutely sure that the serial port on the Psion has not been
    > turned off by accident.
    >
    > 'Ctrl-L' (Link) followed by 'C' (Cable) will turn it back on again.
    >
    > similarly
    >
    > Ctrl-L followed by 'O' (Off) will turn it off.
    >
    > It is usually a good idea to keep it off when not in use as it does affect
    > battery consumption.

    Thanks for that. Sadly, I've looked, and it's definitely on.

    --
    Wilf

  4. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    Wilf wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    > so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    > reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    > is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    > PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    > it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    > the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >
    > Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    Have a look at the port settings in the PC
    They're in my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and see if the
    baudrate is the same as the psion. Also look and check if the control is
    set to Xon/Xoff . I have a revo that used to connect only when it felt
    like it and tweaking these settings seems to have fixed it (this time?)
    Also using a slower rate, say 19600 can be a lot better than the faster
    speeds, and doesn't really take much longer

  5. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 31/10/2007 1:49 pm, Peter wrote:

    > Wilf wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    >> so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >> reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    >> is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    >> PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    >> it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    >> the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >>
    >> Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    > Have a look at the port settings in the PC
    > They're in my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and see if the
    > baudrate is the same as the psion. Also look and check if the control is
    > set to Xon/Xoff . I have a revo that used to connect only when it felt
    > like it and tweaking these settings seems to have fixed it (this time?)
    > Also using a slower rate, say 19600 can be a lot better than the faster
    > speeds, and doesn't really take much longer

    Thanks. I've just tried this and nothing changes. Are you saying I
    should enable Xon/Xoff or should not? Either way, there is no
    connection. The connection used to be flaky, very hit and miss, but now
    there is nothing at all. I wonder if perhaps my psiwin cable h a break
    in it? I've just noticed that the outer insulation has been worn away
    at one point where it bends around the botton of the "modesty screen" of
    this desk and perhaps one of the wires inside could have a break
    (although looks ok on inspection)?

    --
    Wilf

  6. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 31/10/2007 3:00 pm, Wilf wrote:

    > On 31/10/2007 1:49 pm, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Wilf wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    >>> so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >>> reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    >>> is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    >>> PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    >>> it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    >>> the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >>>
    >>> Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    >> Have a look at the port settings in the PC
    >> They're in my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and see if the
    >> baudrate is the same as the psion. Also look and check if the control is
    >> set to Xon/Xoff . I have a revo that used to connect only when it felt
    >> like it and tweaking these settings seems to have fixed it (this time?)
    >> Also using a slower rate, say 19600 can be a lot better than the faster
    >> speeds, and doesn't really take much longer

    > Thanks. I've just tried this and nothing changes. Are you saying I
    > should enable Xon/Xoff or should not? Either way, there is no
    > connection. The connection used to be flaky, very hit and miss, but now
    > there is nothing at all. I wonder if perhaps my psiwin cable h a break
    > in it? I've just noticed that the outer insulation has been worn away
    > at one point where it bends around the botton of the "modesty screen" of
    > this desk and perhaps one of the wires inside could have a break
    > (although looks ok on inspection)?

    Borrowed another psiwin cable. Seemed to connect for a few moments then
    would not an more. Tried a different com port, still no luck. Another
    serial device works fine in all the com ports. It's got to be either
    the Psion itself or perhaps something in the PC software (??), but I
    have un/re-installed the Psiwin software a few times now.

    --
    Wilf

  7. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    Quoting Wilf's message of Yesterday:

    > Borrowed another psiwin cable. Seemed to connect for a few moments then
    > would not an more. Tried a different com port, still no luck. Another
    > serial device works fine in all the com ports. It's got to be either the
    > Psion itself or perhaps something in the PC software (??), but I have
    > un/re-installed the Psiwin software a few times now.

    Does Windows still come with some kind of terminal package? I seem to
    remember it was Hyperterm in the Windows 95 days. If so, trying to get
    a connection between that and the Psion's Comms package, using the same
    settings, would maybe help eliminate the software once and for all.

    If it turns out that it IS the Psion at fault, I think you could do a
    temporary solution to the problem by installing an IR connector on the
    PC and using that to connect. I imagine that would be cheaper than
    having the S7 repaired.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  8. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    Wilf wrote:
    > On 31/10/2007 1:49 pm, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Wilf wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our
    >>> PC so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >>> reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible
    >>> there is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com
    >>> port on the PC is working fine because I have been able to connect
    >>> another device to it successfully. It was all working ok last week
    >>> but now, you plug in the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >>>
    >>> Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    >> Have a look at the port settings in the PC
    >> They're in my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and see if
    >> the baudrate is the same as the psion. Also look and check if the
    >> control is set to Xon/Xoff . I have a revo that used to connect only
    >> when it felt like it and tweaking these settings seems to have fixed
    >> it (this time?)
    >> Also using a slower rate, say 19600 can be a lot better than the
    >> faster speeds, and doesn't really take much longer

    > Thanks. I've just tried this and nothing changes. Are you saying I
    > should enable Xon/Xoff or should not? Either way, there is no
    > connection. The connection used to be flaky, very hit and miss, but now
    > there is nothing at all. I wonder if perhaps my psiwin cable h a break
    > in it? I've just noticed that the outer insulation has been worn away
    > at one point where it bends around the botton of the "modesty screen" of
    > this desk and perhaps one of the wires inside could have a break
    > (although looks ok on inspection)?

    I find it worked with Xon/Xoff enabled

  9. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 01/11/2007 7:07 am, Damian Walker wrote:

    > Quoting Wilf's message of Yesterday:
    >
    >> Borrowed another psiwin cable. Seemed to connect for a few moments then
    >> would not an more. Tried a different com port, still no luck. Another
    >> serial device works fine in all the com ports. It's got to be either the
    >> Psion itself or perhaps something in the PC software (??), but I have
    >> un/re-installed the Psiwin software a few times now.

    > Does Windows still come with some kind of terminal package? I seem to
    > remember it was Hyperterm in the Windows 95 days. If so, trying to get
    > a connection between that and the Psion's Comms package, using the same
    > settings, would maybe help eliminate the software once and for all.
    >
    > If it turns out that it IS the Psion at fault, I think you could do a
    > temporary solution to the problem by installing an IR connector on the
    > PC and using that to connect. I imagine that would be cheaper than
    > having the S7 repaired.

    Thanks Damian - I may give that a try.

    --
    Wilf

  10. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 08/11/2007 10:50 am, Wilf wrote:

    > On 01/11/2007 7:07 am, Damian Walker wrote:
    >
    >> Quoting Wilf's message of Yesterday:
    >>
    >>> Borrowed another psiwin cable. Seemed to connect for a few moments then
    >>> would not an more. Tried a different com port, still no luck. Another
    >>> serial device works fine in all the com ports. It's got to be either the
    >>> Psion itself or perhaps something in the PC software (??), but I have
    >>> un/re-installed the Psiwin software a few times now.

    >> Does Windows still come with some kind of terminal package? I seem to
    >> remember it was Hyperterm in the Windows 95 days. If so, trying to get
    >> a connection between that and the Psion's Comms package, using the same
    >> settings, would maybe help eliminate the software once and for all.
    >>
    >> If it turns out that it IS the Psion at fault, I think you could do a
    >> temporary solution to the problem by installing an IR connector on the
    >> PC and using that to connect. I imagine that would be cheaper than
    >> having the S7 repaired.
    >>

    > Thanks Damian - I may give that a try.

    Haven't yet tried this, but assuming it is the Psion at fault is it
    possible that an internal connection to the serial port might have come
    astray? If so, how could I open up the machine to have a look (it's not
    obvious how to open it)?

    --
    Wilf

  11. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:42:24 +0000, Wilf
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    >so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    >is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    >PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    >it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    >the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >
    >Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    Just a thought - I noticed that you mention another serial port app
    worked OK on your PC. Are you sure that you haven't got any other
    application still tunning which is hogging the serial port? Some
    programs don't always drop the port when shut down and some
    appropriate the port at start-up time. That would definitely prevent
    a Psion connection.

  12. Re: Psion 7 won't connect to PC

    On 21/11/2007 3:36 pm, Jupiter wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:42:24 +0000, Wilf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> all of a sudden my wife's Psion 7 has stopped being recognised by our PC
    >> so that we cannot do backups, syncs, etc. I have un-installed and
    >> reinstalled the psiwin software but to no avail. Is it possible there
    >> is a sudden hardware fault (e.g. in the connector)? The Com port on the
    >> PC is working fine because I have been able to connect another device to
    >> it successfully. It was all working ok last week but now, you plug in
    >> the Psion and it is not detected by the PC.
    >>
    >> Any help anyone can give will be most welcome - many thanks in advance.

    > Just a thought - I noticed that you mention another serial port app
    > worked OK on your PC. Are you sure that you haven't got any other
    > application still tunning which is hogging the serial port? Some
    > programs don't always drop the port when shut down and some
    > appropriate the port at start-up time. That would definitely prevent
    > a Psion connection.

    Thanks, Jupiter. Yes, I certainly closed down the other app. even
    though it was using a different serial port in any case.

    --
    Wilf

+ Reply to Thread