Psion Games Database - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion Games Database - Scion ; Hello everyone, I've been working on a rudimentary database of Psion EPOC32 games. At the moment the database has only name, publisher, category, licence and (if you download the ER5 Data file) description. There are no downloads, screenshots or even ...

  1. Psion Games Database

    Hello everyone,

    I've been working on a rudimentary database of Psion EPOC32 games. At
    the moment the database has only name, publisher, category, licence and
    (if you download the ER5 Data file) description. There are no
    downloads, screenshots or even URLs. But it might be useful in
    conjunction with a Google search, as I've managed to collect together
    information on over 300 games so far.

    This little project was inspired by Sinclair Infoseek as found on
    www.worldofspectrum.org, and in the fullness of time I'd like to add
    download links and screenshots to the database. But currently I don't
    have the web space to store that volume of information, so for the
    moment I'm keeping it simple.

    You can see the database at my home page below. I hope someone finds it
    useful.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  2. Re: Psion Games Database

    Hi Damian,

    Love to see such a fine list of Psion software. As a Psioncollector I have a
    big collection of hard- and software, but on your list there are programms I
    even haven't heard of. Will try to download all of them in the near future.
    Many thanks for this list.

    Maybe this can be of some help to you. Some great links for Psion files:
    http://www.gtkc.net/psion/src.doc.ic-mirror/games/
    http://www.pscience5.net/

    Psiongreetings from the Netherlands,

    Richard van Stappershoef

    "Damian Walker" schreef in bericht
    news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0710131143190.26295@nero.devel. snigfarp.karoo.net...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've been working on a rudimentary database of Psion EPOC32 games. At the
    > moment the database has only name, publisher, category, licence and (if
    > you download the ER5 Data file) description. There are no downloads,
    > screenshots or even URLs. But it might be useful in conjunction with a
    > Google search, as I've managed to collect together information on over 300
    > games so far.
    >
    > This little project was inspired by Sinclair Infoseek as found on
    > www.worldofspectrum.org, and in the fullness of time I'd like to add
    > download links and screenshots to the database. But currently I don't
    > have the web space to store that volume of information, so for the moment
    > I'm keeping it simple.
    >
    > You can see the database at my home page below. I hope someone finds it
    > useful.
    >
    > --
    > Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    > Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  3. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Richard van Stappershoef's message of Yesterday:

    > Maybe this can be of some help to you. Some great links for Psion files:
    > http://www.gtkc.net/psion/src.doc.ic-mirror/games/
    > http://www.pscience5.net/

    Thanks, I've been through Psience5, but I'd forgotten that
    src.doc.ic.ac.uk had Psion games too. There may be a few more things
    added to the database, depending on what I find there.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  4. Re: Psion Games Database

    A great Idea. If you put download links or files in the DB it should be
    perfect.
    please continue on the project

    grt
    Martijn

    "Damian Walker" schreef in bericht
    news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0710131143190.26295@nero.devel. snigfarp.karoo.net...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've been working on a rudimentary database of Psion EPOC32 games. At the
    > moment the database has only name, publisher, category, licence and (if
    > you download the ER5 Data file) description. There are no downloads,
    > screenshots or even URLs. But it might be useful in conjunction with a
    > Google search, as I've managed to collect together information on over 300
    > games so far.
    >
    > This little project was inspired by Sinclair Infoseek as found on
    > www.worldofspectrum.org, and in the fullness of time I'd like to add
    > download links and screenshots to the database. But currently I don't
    > have the web space to store that volume of information, so for the moment
    > I'm keeping it simple.
    >
    > You can see the database at my home page below. I hope someone finds it
    > useful.
    >
    > --
    > Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    > Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  5. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Martijn's message of Yesterday:

    > A great Idea. If you put download links or files in the DB it should
    > be perfect. please continue on the project

    I had been thinking of adding, not download links as such, yet, but a
    URL from which the game can be downloaded - i.e. the informational page
    about the game on an author's web site, or on a site like Tucows where
    the author's site is not available. But this would be a big addition to
    the project, in terms of work needed. It would also be very high
    maintenance, as I'd have to keep monitoring about 300 sites and pages
    for changes and dead links. So I'm still thinking about it.

    I prefer the idea of having a downloadable archive of my own (when I can
    afford the web space), so I'm not reliant on other sites staying active.
    Failure to keep up with dead download links is one of the things that's
    making sites like www.psionplace.com lose their value as Psion resources
    (as opposed to Tucows, which has its own copy of the downloadable
    files).

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  6. Re: Psion Games Database

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > ...It would also be
    > very high maintenance, as I'd have to keep monitoring about 300 sites
    > and pages for changes and dead links. So I'm still thinking about it.

    There are programs to search for stale links. I think one I used to use was
    called Xenu.

    Cheers, Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  7. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Mike Coon's message of Wednesday:

    > There are programs to search for stale links. I think one I used to use was
    > called Xenu.

    I'll take a look and see if I can find such a program for Linux. The
    problem with dead links nowadays, is that sites are often replaced by
    domain name companies' placeholders that contain some reference to the
    original subject. But I'll investigate these if I decide to add
    external links to the database.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  8. Re: Psion Games Database

    In message
    Damian Walker wrote:

    [snip]

    > You can see the database at my home page below. I hope someone finds it
    > useful.

    That's a very nice project. I'll take a further look on it this weekend.
    Thank you.

    --
    To reply, replace "ausserstorfer@mail.com" (=spam bin)
    by bavariasound (AT) chiemgau-net (point) de Venusberg

  9. Re: Psion Games Database

    To find old 'not excisting'sites, just use this link. Copy and paste the
    link of the old 'not excisting'sites in the TAKE ME BACK-box and start
    clicking. Mostly you can choose between a lot of old dates, from where you
    start to pick one. If it's not the right one you're looking for, or has not
    a good result, try another date. I have result for more then 90% of the
    time.

    Richard

    "Damian Walker" schreef in bericht
    news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0710190740270.20291@nero.devel. snigfarp.karoo.net...
    > Quoting Mike Coon's message of Wednesday:
    >
    >> There are programs to search for stale links. I think one I used to use
    >> was
    >> called Xenu.

    > I'll take a look and see if I can find such a program for Linux. The
    > problem with dead links nowadays, is that sites are often replaced by
    > domain name companies' placeholders that contain some reference to the
    > original subject. But I'll investigate these if I decide to add external
    > links to the database.
    >
    > --
    > Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    > Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  10. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Alex' A. Interrants's message of Yesterday:

    > That's a very nice project. I'll take a further look on it this weekend.
    > Thank you.

    I've updated it now, so that categories and licence information are
    shown as meaningful words, rather than as single letters.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  11. Re: Psion Games Database

    Damian Walker opined
    >Quoting Richard van Stappershoef's message of Yesterday:
    >
    >> Maybe this can be of some help to you. Some great links for Psion files:
    >> http://www.gtkc.net/psion/src.doc.ic-mirror/games/
    >> http://www.pscience5.net/

    >Thanks, I've been through Psience5, but I'd forgotten that
    >src.doc.ic.ac.uk had Psion games too. There may be a few more things
    >added to the database, depending on what I find there.

    Your list looks good, but IIUC you don't have all the Infocom games,
    that can be run with a DOS emulator.

    Mike

    (Who still hasn't finished Hitchiker's Guide...)

    Michael J Davis

    Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  12. Re: Psion Games Database

    Michael J Davis wrote:

    >Your list looks good, but IIUC you don't have all the Infocom games,
    >that can be run with a DOS emulator.

    I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to list them individually
    anyway - it's not as though they are "Psion games" specifically. Perhaps
    just list the Infocom adventure interpreters and point to
    if-archive.org?

    Roger

  13. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Michael J Davis's message of Yesterday:

    > Your list looks good, but IIUC you don't have all the Infocom games, that can
    > be run with a DOS emulator.

    As Roger suggests in his reply, I ought to list the interpreters under
    the category "RPG & Adventure". I'll add that to my list of things to
    do to the database. In the meantime, I've uploaded an update. Some of
    the categories have been shifted around a little, and the descriptions
    (only currently accessible in the downloadable S5 database) in a few
    cases have been updated.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  14. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Michael J Davis's message of Yesterday:

    > that can be run with a DOS emulator.

    Oh, by the way, just to clarify: I won't be listing emulated games at
    all. There are about 7,000 that run under Z80, I think over twice that
    number for E32Frodo, and goodness knows how many that run under XTM. I
    may list the emulators themselves, but at the moment I'm inclined not
    to, as they're not "games" as such. Whereas the adventure game
    interpreters couldn't be regarded as anything else.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  15. Re: Psion Games Database

    Damian Walker opined
    >Quoting Michael J Davis's message of Yesterday:
    >
    >> that can be run with a DOS emulator.

    >Oh, by the way, just to clarify: I won't be listing emulated games at
    >all. There are about 7,000 that run under Z80, I think over twice that
    >number for E32Frodo, and goodness knows how many that run under XTM. I
    >may list the emulators themselves, but at the moment I'm inclined not
    >to, as they're not "games" as such. Whereas the adventure game
    >interpreters couldn't be regarded as anything else.

    Wow! All I know is that I have a few Infocom games on my Psion 5mx.
    Anyway, whatever you decide, you are doing a great job!

    Mike
    Michael J Davis

    Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  16. Re: Psion Games Database

    Quoting Michael J Davis's message of Sunday:

    > Wow! All I know is that I have a few Infocom games on my Psion 5mx. Anyway,
    > whatever you decide, you are doing a great job!

    Thanks! I'm glad people are enjoying it. For a look at how I intend to
    develop it, I've uploaded a mockup of one of the individual game pages.
    If you want to see it, go to the same page as before - URL below and
    click on a Psion button - and scroll down to "Senet on the move". The
    name is now a link to the game's own entry page. This will probably
    disappear the next time I do an automated update to the database, so
    don't be surprised if it's gone in a week or so.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

+ Reply to Thread