S5 screen cable repair - Scion

This is a discussion on S5 screen cable repair - Scion ; Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen cable for my s5? I've been meaning to fix it for years. Now I'm ready and afraid that it may be too late. Thanks. JB...

  1. S5 screen cable repair

    Hi all.

    Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen
    cable for my s5?
    I've been meaning to fix it for years.
    Now I'm ready and afraid that it may be too late.

    Thanks.
    JB

  2. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    JohnB wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen
    > cable for my s5?
    > I've been meaning to fix it for years.
    > Now I'm ready and afraid that it may be too late.

    Go to eBay and search for

    psion screen cable

    I tried that on www.ebay.ie just now, and there were 4 matches:

    Psion series 3a, 3c and 3MX CE screen cable
    EUR 14.44 Buy It Now 6d 02h 29m United Kingdom

    Psion series 5MX screen cable
    EUR 14.44 Buy It Now 6d 02h 31m United Kingdom

    Psion series 5 screen cable
    EUR 14.44 Buy It Now 6d 02h 33m United Kingdom

    Psion 5mx screen flexi cable 3 pcs - Special Promotion!
    EUR 25.99
    EUR 28.88 Buy It Now 6d 23h 00m Taiwan

    Make sure you get the right one! And you'll want to have good soldering
    kit, and be fairly handy with it, but I'm guessing you have that sorted
    since you're asking the question.

    Good luck

    Frank

  3. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    > Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen
    > cable for my s5?

    If you don't want to fix it yourself, there are facilities that will
    do it for you. Here are two that come to mind:
    http://www.posltd.com/
    http://www.psion-store.de/

    Cheers,
    TorbenGB

  4. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    http://www.psionflexi.co.uk/order_form.htm
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  5. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    "TorbenGB" wrote in message
    news:1191937398.962885.259300@v3g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen
    >> cable for my s5?

    > If you don't want to fix it yourself, there are facilities that will
    > do it for you. Here are two that come to mind:
    > http://www.posltd.com/
    > http://www.psion-store.de/

    Both of those sources supply the original design psion flexi cable complete
    with the tooling hole that causes all the trouble in the first place.

    A better source is:

    http://www.psionflexi.co.uk

    He supplies a bespoke cable free from the tooling holes (he will fit it as
    well, but maybe not quite as quickly as posltd). Instruction for fitting
    the cable are on the above web site. Read them first and decide if your
    soldering skills are up to the job.

  6. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    "M.I.5" wrote in message

    > "TorbenGB" wrote in message
    > news:1191937398.962885.259300@v3g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >>> Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement screen
    >>> cable for my s5?

    >> If you don't want to fix it yourself, there are facilities that will
    >> do it for you. Here are two that come to mind:
    >> http://www.posltd.com/
    >> http://www.psion-store.de/
    >>

    > Both of those sources supply the original design psion flexi cable
    > complete with the tooling hole that causes all the trouble in the first
    > place.
    >
    > A better source is:
    >
    > http://www.psionflexi.co.uk
    >
    > He supplies a bespoke cable free from the tooling holes (he will fit it as
    > well, but maybe not quite as quickly as posltd). Instruction for fitting
    > the cable are on the above web site. Read them first and decide if your
    > soldering skills are up to the job.

    I should have added that you will need to check whether you have a Sharp or
    a Hitachi screen as cables are only available for the latter (certainly from
    psionflexi and probably the others as well). The psionflexi site tells you
    how to tell the difference.

  7. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    On Oct 16, 9:26 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > >http://www.posltd.com/
    > >http://www.psion-store.de/

    > Both of those sources supply the original design psion flexi cable complete
    > with the tooling hole that causes all the trouble in the first place.

    This is not correct. At least Psion-Store.de uses only proper cables
    without that hole. I have had several Psion cables fitted by Psion-
    Store, and they do swift quality work.

  8. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    "TorbenGB" wrote in message
    news:1193305257.139710.30140@o38g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
    On Oct 16, 9:26 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > >http://www.posltd.com/
    > >http://www.psion-store.de/

    > Both of those sources supply the original design psion flexi cable
    > complete
    > with the tooling hole that causes all the trouble in the first place.

    This is not correct. At least Psion-Store.de uses only proper cables
    without that hole. I have had several Psion cables fitted by Psion-
    Store, and they do swift quality work.

    ----------------

    If they are the 'proper' cables they will have the hole as Psion never made
    anything else. It is possible, of course, that they have sourced pattern
    cables without the hole, but they can't be described as 'proper'.

  9. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    On Oct 29, 10:00 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > If they are the 'proper' cables they will have the hole as Psion never made
    > anything else. It is possible, of course, that they have sourced pattern
    > cables without the hole, but they can't be described as 'proper'.

    Psion-Store has manufactured cables without the hole. And since they
    are to all effect identical to the original _except_ for the hole that
    causes the problems, I would indeed call them proper. They are not an
    ugly hack of loose wires, to state an opposite example. Please refrain
    from devaluing replacement parts just because they are not original.

    proper, adj.
    from http://www.answers.com/proper&r=67
    1. Characterized by appropriateness or suitability; fitting: the
    proper knife for cutting bread; not a proper moment for a joke.
    2. Called for by rules or conventions; correct: the proper form for
    a business letter.
    3. Strictly following rules or conventions, especially in social
    behavior; seemly: a proper lady; a proper gentleman.
    5. Being within the strictly limited sense, as of a term
    designating something: the town proper, excluding the suburbs.
    8. Worthy of the name; true: wanted a proper dinner, not just a
    snack.

  10. Re: S5 screen cable repair

    "TorbenGB" wrote in message
    news:1193834003.460069.47610@v3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    On Oct 29, 10:00 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > If they are the 'proper' cables they will have the hole as Psion never
    > made
    > anything else. It is possible, of course, that they have sourced pattern
    > cables without the hole, but they can't be described as 'proper'.

    Psion-Store has manufactured cables without the hole. And since they
    are to all effect identical to the original _except_ for the hole that
    causes the problems, I would indeed call them proper. They are not an
    ugly hack of loose wires, to state an opposite example. Please refrain
    from devaluing replacement parts just because they are not original.

    proper, adj.
    from http://www.answers.com/proper&r=67
    1. Characterized by appropriateness or suitability; fitting: the
    proper knife for cutting bread; not a proper moment for a joke.
    2. Called for by rules or conventions; correct: the proper form for
    a business letter.
    3. Strictly following rules or conventions, especially in social
    behavior; seemly: a proper lady; a proper gentleman.
    5. Being within the strictly limited sense, as of a term
    designating something: the town proper, excluding the suburbs.
    8. Worthy of the name; true: wanted a proper dinner, not just a
    snack.

    I wasn't devaluing them, I use pattern cables myself. In the context of
    spare parts, 'proper' is usually used to denote manufacturer's original
    parts.

+ Reply to Thread