5mx 'cannot find program' - Scion

This is a discussion on 5mx 'cannot find program' - Scion ; My touch screen on the 5mx has given up the ghost and it seems too expensive to worry about, especially when almost everything seems to be working and is accessible through menus. However, I can't locate the 'Contacts' file. When ...

  1. 5mx 'cannot find program'

    My touch screen on the 5mx has given up the ghost and it seems too expensive
    to worry about, especially when almost everything seems to be working and is
    accessible through menus.
    However, I can't locate the 'Contacts' file. When I navigate through various
    menus, I end up being shown the 'contacts.ini' file, but when I attempt to
    access it, I'm told 'cannot find program'.
    This is also true of a copy I made onto a flash disk before the touch screen
    problem started.
    So, how can I get at Contacts without a touch screen?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  2. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    On 8 Oct, 00:30, "John Dean" wrote:
    > My touch screen on the 5mx has given up the ghost and it seems too expensive
    > to worry about, especially when almost everything seems to be working and is
    > accessible through menus.
    > However, I can't locate the 'Contacts' file. When I navigate through various
    > menus, I end up being shown the 'contacts.ini' file, but when I attempt to
    > access it, I'm told 'cannot find program'.
    > This is also true of a copy I made onto a flash disk before the touch screen
    > problem started.
    > So, how can I get at Contacts without a touch screen?
    > --
    > John Dean
    > Oxford

    Hi John

    If i recall correctly the Contacts program does not associate itself
    with the database it uses. In other words, locating the database file
    itself and attempting to open it will not launch Contacts as a
    result.

    I think the database is stored at C:\systems\data\contacts.cdb

    (I don't have my 5mx with me at the moment)

    You can try and install a third party launcher which could help you
    replace the functionality of the Extras bar? Something like Hotkeys
    may work, or even Extrabars?

    Hotkeys can be found at www.skankee.com/neuon/

    Cheers
    Gary

  3. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    tattygee@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 8 Oct, 00:30, "John Dean" wrote:
    >> My touch screen on the 5mx has given up the ghost and it seems too
    >> expensive to worry about, especially when almost everything seems to
    >> be working and is accessible through menus.
    >> However, I can't locate the 'Contacts' file. When I navigate through
    >> various menus, I end up being shown the 'contacts.ini' file, but
    >> when I attempt to access it, I'm told 'cannot find program'.
    >> This is also true of a copy I made onto a flash disk before the
    >> touch screen problem started.
    >> So, how can I get at Contacts without a touch screen?
    >> --
    >> John Dean
    >> Oxford

    > Hi John
    >
    > If i recall correctly the Contacts program does not associate itself
    > with the database it uses. In other words, locating the database file
    > itself and attempting to open it will not launch Contacts as a
    > result.
    >
    > I think the database is stored at C:\systems\data\contacts.cdb

    I found that file but got the same "cannot find program" message. When I
    look at it in the 'browse files' menu it's clearly the right size for the
    contacts file but I can't see a way of opening it. Frustrating.

    > You can try and install a third party launcher which could help you
    > replace the functionality of the Extras bar? Something like Hotkeys
    > may work, or even Extrabars?
    >
    > Hotkeys can be found at www.skankee.com/neuon/

    Thanks. I'll give it a try
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  4. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    John Dean wrote:
    > tattygee@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On 8 Oct, 00:30, "John Dean" wrote:
    > >> My touch screen on the 5mx has given up the ghost and it seems too
    > >> expensive to worry about, especially when almost everything seems to
    > >> be working and is accessible through menus.
    > >> However, I can't locate the 'Contacts' file. When I navigate through
    > >> various menus, I end up being shown the 'contacts.ini' file, but
    > >> when I attempt to access it, I'm told 'cannot find program'.
    > >> This is also true of a copy I made onto a flash disk before the
    > >> touch screen problem started.
    > >> So, how can I get at Contacts without a touch screen?

    Posted here some time ago:
    Silkscreen Keycodes
    Jim McDuggan wrote that if my Psion 5 touch screen was broken, I could
    access the silkscreen keys by pressing the Ctrl key, then these codes:

    Menu 10000
    Cut/Copy/Paste 10001
    Infrared 10002
    Zoom In 10003
    Zoom Out 10004
    System 10064
    Word 10065
    Sheet 10066
    Data 10067 (Contacts on S5mx)
    Agenda 10068
    Time 10069 (Email on S5mx)
    Calc 10070
    Sketch 10071 (Jotter on S5mx)
    Extras 10072 (well, you can look at them, anyway).

    So I also checked on a genuine broken 5mx Menu 10000
    Cut/Copy/Paste 10001
    Infrared 10002
    Zoom In 10003
    Zoom Out 10004
    System 10064
    Word 10065
    Sheet 10066
    Contacts 10067
    Agenda 10068
    Email 10069
    Calc 10070
    Jotter 10071
    Extras 10072 (well, you can look at them, anyway).

    And Simo ****shutt advises on the MC218
    CTRL + 10065 CONTACTS
    CTRL + 10066 AGENDA
    CTRL + 10067 MY PHONE
    CTRL + 10068 E_MAIL
    CTRL + 10069 INTERNET
    CTRL + 10070 WORD
    CTRL + 10071 SHEET

    These are NOT the same on the S7 and netBook. Beneath are the codes for
    the
    S7 and netBook, from Michael Degn.

    Menu 10000
    Cut/Copy/Paste 10001
    Infrared 10002
    Zoom In 10003
    Zoom Out 10004
    User app button 1 10005
    User app button 2 10006
    User app button 3 10007
    User app button 4 10008
    System 10064
    Email 10065
    Web 10066
    Word 10067
    Sheet 10068
    Contact 10069
    Time 10070
    Agenda 10071
    Calc 10072
    Jotter 10073
    Extras 10074

    --
    Oliver

  5. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >> tattygee@gmail.com wrote:

    > Posted here some time ago:
    > Silkscreen Keycodes
    > Jim McDuggan wrote that if my Psion 5 touch screen was broken, I could
    > access the silkscreen keys by pressing the Ctrl key, then these codes:

    Genius! Works perfectly and I see my contacts again in all their glory.
    Thank you so much
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  6. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    John Dean wrote:
    > Oliver N. Kuehlwein wrote:
    >> John Dean wrote:

    >> Posted here some time ago:
    >> Silkscreen Keycodes
    >> Jim McDuggan wrote that if my Psion 5 touch screen was broken, I
    >> could access the silkscreen keys by pressing the Ctrl key, then
    >> these codes:

    > Genius! Works perfectly and I see my contacts again in all their
    > glory. Thank you so much

    Having perused the list and experimented some more, I'm moved to ask if
    anyone has experimented with the codes from Ctrl+10005 to Ctrl+10063. I'm
    too much of a wuss to try it myself in case I get into something I can't get
    out of.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  7. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    Quoting John Dean's message of Yesterday:

    > I found that file but got the same "cannot find program" message. When I
    > look at it in the 'browse files' menu it's clearly the right size for the
    > contacts file but I can't see a way of opening it. Frustrating.

    You can launch Contacts without needing to install anything more. From
    the system screen, press CTRL+TAB to bring up the folder browser dialog
    box. Move up using the cursor keys until "Disk" is highlighted, and
    press Z. Now move down again until you reach the Contacts folder
    under System\Apps. Hit Enter and the dialog box will disappear,
    leaving you in the Z:\System\Apps\Contacts folder. Move down to
    Contacts.app and press Enter. Contacts will be launched.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  8. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    Damian Walker wrote:
    > Quoting John Dean's message of Yesterday:
    >
    >> I found that file but got the same "cannot find program" message.
    >> When I look at it in the 'browse files' menu it's clearly the right
    >> size for the contacts file but I can't see a way of opening it.
    >> Frustrating.

    > You can launch Contacts without needing to install anything more. From the
    > system screen, press CTRL+TAB to bring up the folder browser
    > dialog box. Move up using the cursor keys until "Disk" is
    > highlighted, and press Z. Now move down again until you reach the
    > Contacts folder under System\Apps. Hit Enter and the dialog box will
    > disappear, leaving you in the Z:\System\Apps\Contacts folder. Move
    > down to Contacts.app and press Enter. Contacts will be launched.

    Thanks. That's clever. But the Ctrl+10067 is quicker so I'll stick with that
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  9. Re: 5mx 'cannot find program'

    In article <5n42pjFg7tqtU1@mid.individual.net>,
    "John Dean" wrote:

    > Having perused the list and experimented some more, I'm moved to ask if
    > anyone has experimented with the codes from Ctrl+10005 to Ctrl+10063. I'm
    > too much of a wuss to try it myself in case I get into something I can't get
    > out of.

    I seem to recall that only a very small subset of keycodes worked. My
    list is still up at http://ericlindsay.com/epoc/mkeys5.htm for anyone
    who needs that trick.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com