Sticky case problem with 3c - Scion

This is a discussion on Sticky case problem with 3c - Scion ; Hi, After years of hard use my 5mx has become nearly useless because of low-contrast (backlight is very faint too) so I thought of downgrading to my trusty 3c. An unpleasant surprise to find that the rubbery coating on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Sticky case problem with 3c

    Hi,

    After years of hard use my 5mx has become nearly useless because of
    low-contrast (backlight is very faint too) so I thought of downgrading to my
    trusty 3c. An unpleasant surprise to find that the rubbery coating on the
    case has turned to something resembling glue! Somehow the case degraded and
    now it is very sticky and in no shape to be used at all.

    I've searched the old postings in this group and only found one mention of
    this problem in february 2005. Is this a rare phenomenon?

    And, as it is now fairly long since Psion made these things, are there still
    replacement cases available? If so, where?

    Any pointers to get me up and running again (3c or 5mx) are appreciated!

    Regards,
    John

  2. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    John X Ample wrote:

    > Any pointers to get me up and running again (3c or 5mx) are appreciated!

    www.posltd.com

  3. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Iordani" schreef in bericht

    >> Any pointers to get me up and running again (3c or 5mx) are appreciated!

    > www.posltd.com

    Interesting site. Am I correct in assuming their PsiX PDA is an "after
    market" Psion 5mx?
    However, they are not exactly affordable (let alone cheap). For the price of
    a refurbished 5mx I can get a *new* laptop locally (the netherlands).

    I have found another repair centre as well: http://www.sparkelectronics.nl/

    Now I'm off to eBay, perhaps a second hand 3c with broken screen (or such a
    defect) might be available on a discount.

    Thanks,
    John

  4. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    John X Ample wrote:

    > "Iordani" schreef in bericht
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers to get me up and running again (3c or 5mx) are appreciated!

    >> www.posltd.com

    > Interesting site. Am I correct in assuming their PsiX PDA is an "after
    > market" Psion 5mx?
    > However, they are not exactly affordable (let alone cheap). For the price
    > of a refurbished 5mx I can get a *new* laptop locally (the netherlands).

    Thought you wanted a repair.
    They offer a full repair (including LCD) for £125 (5mx) or £95 (3c).
    That won't get you a new laptop.

  5. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Iordani" schreef in bericht

    > Thought you wanted a repair.

    A repair, or a new psion. Doesn't really matter, as long as I get a usable
    setup again.

    > They offer a full repair (including LCD) for 125 (5mx) or 95 (3c).
    > That won't get you a new laptop.

    That's true. I couldn't find these prices at first (the site is very 'hip'
    but not very informative or easy to navigate).
    I've sent an inquiry for a new 3c case to a local repair shop, if that won't
    work I'll give posltd a call.

    Regards,
    John

  6. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:57:39 +0200, John X Ample wrote:

    > I've searched the old postings in this group and only found one mention
    > of this problem in february 2005. Is this a rare phenomenon?

    The original Series 5 also had a problem that the rubber coating would
    start to peel off after some time in use. By the time I was done with mine
    I'd worked it all off and it was down to the bare plastic and looked
    quite nice.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  7. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Steve Hodgson" schreef in bericht

    > The original Series 5 also had a problem that the rubber coating would
    > start to peel off after some time in use. By the time I was done with mine
    > I'd worked it all off and it was down to the bare plastic and looked
    > quite nice.

    I wouldn't mind if the (now glue-like) rubbery stuff would come off, but no
    luck sofar. Tomorrow I'll try some solvents at work to see if that makes a
    difference. I don't care much how the pda looks, worst case I can always
    spraypaint it or something.

    Cheers,
    John

  8. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    In article <46f76dec$0$235$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    "John X Ample" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > After years of hard use my 5mx has become nearly useless because of
    > low-contrast (backlight is very faint too) so I thought of downgrading to my
    > trusty 3c. An unpleasant surprise to find that the rubbery coating on the
    > case has turned to something resembling glue! Somehow the case degraded and
    > now it is very sticky and in no shape to be used at all.

    Rubber coatings on Psion and many other electronic devices were a
    problem, when they turned to sticky glue. Same problem happened to me
    also on Lexicomp LC-8620 palmtop from Abstract R&D Inc and Tivoli Audio
    SongBook radio. I never found a solvent that would remove the confounded
    paint from my Psion or any other item painted with that junk.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  9. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    On 25 Sep, 01:32, Eric Lindsay
    wrote:
    > In article <46f76dec$0$235$e4fe5...@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > "John X Ample" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > After years of hard use my 5mx has become nearly useless because of
    > > low-contrast (backlight is very faint too) so I thought of downgrading to my
    > > trusty 3c. An unpleasant surprise to find that the rubbery coating on the
    > > case has turned to something resembling glue! Somehow the case degraded and
    > > now it is very sticky and in no shape to be used at all.

    > Rubber coatings on Psion and many other electronic devices were a
    > problem, when they turned to sticky glue. Same problem happened to me
    > also on Lexicomp LC-8620 palmtop from Abstract R&D Inc and Tivoli Audio
    > SongBook radio. I never found a solvent that would remove the confounded
    > paint from my Psion or any other item painted with that junk.
    >
    > --http://www.ericlindsay.com

    Lynx deodorant (Or any aftershave will probably work as well) squirted
    onto an ear bud and rubbed on the offending sticky plastic worked for
    me. it is no longer sticky at all. Mind you it took some of the rubber
    away in the process which is probably why it worked, but it doesn't
    look out of place at all.

  10. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    schreef in bericht
    news:1190805341.267097.67210@r29g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > Lynx deodorant (Or any aftershave will probably work as well) squirted
    > onto an ear bud and rubbed on the offending sticky plastic worked for
    > me. it is no longer sticky at all. Mind you it took some of the rubber
    > away in the process which is probably why it worked, but it doesn't
    > look out of place at all.

    If deodorant or aftershave works, then ipa (= isopropyl alcohol, = rubbing
    alcohol?) will probably work as well. At work I have hectoliters of that
    stuff at hand, so I'll definately try that. I've removed the case from the
    3c this afternoon, tomorrow I'll submerge it in ipa. (Yes, I'll try a small
    patch at first, don't worry! ;-))

    For my 5mx I might have found a replacement backlight (non-original, it is
    an industrial backlight for CNC machines but it is exactly the same size
    according to the specs). Hope that works, the backlight is orangy-yellow, in
    stead of the blueish-green of the original. I'll have the technical
    department order it tomorrow as well.

    Thanks for the info!
    John

  11. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    John X Ample wrote:
    > "Iordani" schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Thought you wanted a repair.

    > A repair, or a new psion. Doesn't really matter, as long as I get a usable
    > setup again.
    >

    >>They offer a full repair (including LCD) for 125 (5mx) or 95 (3c).
    >>That won't get you a new laptop.

    > That's true. I couldn't find these prices at first (the site is very 'hip'
    > but not very informative or easy to navigate).

    I hope someone from there reads this newsgroup. It would be sad to think
    that they might be losing business because of their web page design.
    Especially since they seem from other posts to be "good guys".

    frank

  12. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    Steve Hodgson wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:57:39 +0200, John X Ample wrote:
    >

    >>I've searched the old postings in this group and only found one mention
    >>of this problem in february 2005. Is this a rare phenomenon?

    > The original Series 5 also had a problem that the rubber coating would
    > start to peel off after some time in use. By the time I was done with mine
    > I'd worked it all off and it was down to the bare plastic and looked
    > quite nice.

    Many years ago, I took all the rubber off my 5mx, the last bit being the
    bottom of the case which I did with isopropyl alcohol. Shortly
    afterwards, the machine started giving a series of 3 descending beeps,
    and rebooting. This gave me an excuse to buy an MC218, but now, out of
    curiosity, does anyone know what the three beeps means? And if alcohol
    fumes, or rubbing its bottom, would be a reason for the machine failing
    in this way?

    frank

  13. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Frank Peelo" schreef in bericht

    > Many years ago, I took all the rubber off my 5mx, the last bit being the
    > bottom of the case which I did with isopropyl alcohol.

    I've succeeded in removing the rubbery stuff of my 3c by soaking the case in
    ipa and then some very vigorous rubbing. The case now looks like, well, it
    looks like it has been burned. However, it is structurally sound, it is just
    that the finish is ruined. I'm guessing that a coat of spraypaint will fix
    'r right up.

    > Shortly afterwards, the machine started giving a series of 3 descending
    > beeps, and rebooting. This gave me an excuse to buy an MC218, but now, out
    > of curiosity, does anyone know what the three beeps means?

    I could not find any definitive answer, but it seems to happen sometimes:

    http://www.skilton.net/5mx/resets.htm

    If you Google for "triple beep reset" there are a lot of pages that seem to
    hint at incompatible hardware. Why your 5mx would to this is anybody
    guess...

    > And if alcohol fumes, or rubbing its bottom, would be a reason for the
    > machine failing in this way?

    Only thing I can think of is if you rubbed fairly hard then maybe the
    motherboard flexed to much and perhaps a trace on the printed circuit board
    got damaged (hair crack?).

    John

  14. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    John X Ample wrote:
    > "Frank Peelo" schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Many years ago, I took all the rubber off my 5mx, the last bit being the
    >>bottom of the case which I did with isopropyl alcohol.

    > I've succeeded in removing the rubbery stuff of my 3c by soaking the case in
    > ipa and then some very vigorous rubbing. The case now looks like, well, it
    > looks like it has been burned. However, it is structurally sound, it is just
    > that the finish is ruined. I'm guessing that a coat of spraypaint will fix
    > 'r right up.
    >

    >>Shortly afterwards, the machine started giving a series of 3 descending
    >>beeps, and rebooting. This gave me an excuse to buy an MC218, but now, out
    >>of curiosity, does anyone know what the three beeps means?

    > I could not find any definitive answer, but it seems to happen sometimes:
    >
    > http://www.skilton.net/5mx/resets.htm

    The wav file there is the one I heard, alright, but that's not the
    screen I got. My machine went straight back to the Epoc splash screen
    that you get if you pull both batteries.

    > If you Google for "triple beep reset" there are a lot of pages that seem to
    > hint at incompatible hardware. Why your 5mx would to this is anybody
    > guess...

    Definitely not new hardware, there wasn't any connected. And the machine
    could be in my pocket when it did the triple-beep, so it wasn't any key
    combination or anything.

    >>And if alcohol fumes, or rubbing its bottom, would be a reason for the
    >>machine failing in this way?

    > Only thing I can think of is if you rubbed fairly hard then maybe the
    > motherboard flexed to much and perhaps a trace on the printed circuit board
    > got damaged (hair crack?).

    Yes, I think it must have been something like that. I should have done
    as you did, take the case off before cleaning it. Ah well, it's a long
    time ago and we've all passed a lot of water under bridges since then.

    Just thought I should mention it, in case derubberising a machine was a
    popular way to kill it.

    frank

  15. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    You could try smothering the case with talcum powder. It might not look
    nice but it should not be sticky anymore.
    Chris
    "John X Ample" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After years of hard use my 5mx has become nearly useless because of
    > low-contrast (backlight is very faint too) so I thought of downgrading to

    my
    > trusty 3c. An unpleasant surprise to find that the rubbery coating on the
    > case has turned to something resembling glue! Somehow the case degraded

    and
    > now it is very sticky and in no shape to be used at all.
    >
    > I've searched the old postings in this group and only found one mention of
    > this problem in february 2005. Is this a rare phenomenon?
    >
    > And, as it is now fairly long since Psion made these things, are there

    still
    > replacement cases available? If so, where?
    >
    > Any pointers to get me up and running again (3c or 5mx) are appreciated!
    >
    > Regards,
    > John

  16. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    Frank Peelo opined
    >John X Ample wrote:
    >> "Frank Peelo" schreef in bericht
    >>
    >>>Many years ago, I took all the rubber off my 5mx, the last bit being
    >>>the bottom of the case which I did with isopropyl alcohol.

    >> I've succeeded in removing the rubbery stuff of my 3c by soaking
    >>the case in ipa and then some very vigorous rubbing. The case now
    >>looks like, well, it looks like it has been burned. However, it is
    >>structurally sound, it is just that the finish is ruined. I'm
    >>guessing that a coat of spraypaint will fix 'r right up.
    >>
    >>>Shortly afterwards, the machine started giving a series of 3
    >>>descending beeps, and rebooting. This gave me an excuse to buy an
    >>>MC218, but now, out of curiosity, does anyone know what the three
    >>>beeps means?

    >> I could not find any definitive answer, but it seems to happen
    >>sometimes:
    >> http://www.skilton.net/5mx/resets.htm

    >The wav file there is the one I heard, alright, but that's not the
    >screen I got. My machine went straight back to the Epoc splash screen
    >that you get if you pull both batteries.

    Did it do this when you were touching it? If so does it do it when you
    have a mains adaptor attached. If so, then I'd guess it's a power bus
    trace. If it doesn't do it with the mains adaptor attached, then check
    the battery connections.

    Incidentally - is battery power showing both batteries OK?

    Hope you get it fixed.

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis

    <><
    "If you are offended by anything, whether intended or
    unintended, you do not know the way of peace..."
    St. Maximus the Confessor
    <><

  17. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Blink" schreef in bericht

    > You could try smothering the case with talcum powder. It might not look
    > nice but it should not be sticky anymore.

    Haha, I like your thinking, very clever actually! ;-)

    Luckily I've gotten the gooey mess off by soaking the entire case in
    isopropyl alcohol for about half an hour and some vigorous rubbing. The case
    looks horrible now, but at least it is functional again. I intend to
    spraypaint it later to improve the looks of it.

    John

  18. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    Quoting Frank Peelo's message of Thursday:

    > This gave me an excuse to buy an MC218,

    It's a bittersweet experience when something like that happens, isn't
    it. I remember losing my trusty 3a, which gave me a similar excuse to
    upgrade to a 5mx. I found the 3a down the side of the seat of a
    colleague's car before buying the 5mx, but by then the decision was made
    and I was looking forward to the 5mx too much to change my mind!

    > but now, out of curiosity, does anyone know what the three beeps
    > means?

    It seems to be an EPOC crash, from what I've read and what I've
    experienced. I had the problem on a Revo with a failing battery, and
    I've just read of someone having the same problem on a Netbook.

    > And if alcohol fumes, or rubbing its bottom, would be a reason for the
    > machine failing in this way?

    The only way I can imagine this being a problem is if some of the
    alcohol, or perhaps some of the rubbed-off rubber, got into the machine
    somewhere. Have you tried giving the machine a hard reset? If there's
    nothing wrong with the hardware, you might find you have a working spare
    machine there.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  19. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    John X Ample wrote:
    > I've
    > removed the case from the 3c this afternoon, ...

    Just a warning. I used to take my 3a apart without problems and got into a
    problem with my 3mx. The 3a had a crude "switch" to detect SSD dors being
    open which was just a wiper over pads on the motherboard. This was
    insensitive to the position of the doors when re-assembling. But the 3mx has
    microswitches which can get broken if re-assembled with the doors shut. I
    don't know how the 3c is built but YHBW! (BTW I managed to track down the
    maker of the switches from the number printed on them and they kindly sent
    me replacements for free. They couldn't sell me two, only two 10**n!)

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  20. Re: Sticky case problem with 3c

    "Mike Coon" schreef in bericht

    > Just a warning. I used to take my 3a apart without problems and got into a
    > problem with my 3mx. [...] But the 3mx has microswitches which can get
    > broken if re-assembled with the doors shut.

    I've already re-assembled my 3mx without problems. I had no problems with
    the switches, in fact I've not noticed them at all. Apparently I was just
    lucky. Next time (for spraypainting) I will me more careful. Thanks for the
    warning.

    John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast