A few years too late... - Scion

This is a discussion on A few years too late... - Scion ; I suspect one of the things (aside from bad marketing) that killed the Psions for a lot of people was the low-contrast LCD display -- especially when its PDA rivals were all coming out with flashy bright, colour LCDs. [Personally ...

  1. A few years too late...

    I suspect one of the things (aside from bad marketing) that killed
    the Psions for a lot of people was the low-contrast LCD display --
    especially when its PDA rivals were all coming out with flashy
    bright, colour LCDs. [Personally I would always take the long
    battery life over a brilliant display.]

    Last week at SIGGRAPH in San Diego, though, I saw a couple of new
    technologies that have it both ways: high-contrast (and sometimes
    colour) and low consumption. Now if only Psion was still around to
    take advantage of them! (Of course you can bet Nokia et al will.)

    The first I've been reading about in New Scientist for some time,
    but this was the first time I saw it in action, and apparently there
    is at least one commercial product (an e-Book) now out that uses it.
    This is "e-Ink", using charged microspheres, black on one side,
    white on the other, that can be oriented electrically either way
    (and retain the orientation when power is off). Nice crisp
    high-contrast images -- the e-Book was very readable. They were
    showing a colour display, too, but I gathered it is still in
    development. A possible defect is its speed -- fine for page turning,
    but not for video.

    The other is brand new -- a "MEMS" ('Micro-Electronic Mechanical
    System') display techmology from Qualcomm, that uses bistable
    elements that apply either constructive or destructive interference
    on impinging light. Like e-Ink, it is crisp and high-contrast,
    with the possibility of colour, but has one difference...
    All the current displays are tiny (max about 3 x 5 cm)!
    As was the displayed text: the colour demo looked great -- about
    a page full (!) but at ~1 inch wide, you can imagine it was a bit
    hard to read! Apparently does run at video refresh rates if needed,
    though.

    I suppose eventually I'll find something to supplant my beloved 5mx,
    but I do hope by that time it'll have something like one of the above.

    -- Pete --

    --
    "I love the smell of scorched lame duck in the morning..."
    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...

  2. Re: A few years too late...

    color displays which do not need the strong backlight (they do not
    need any backlight ata all) are still not very good. They last only
    about a yera or so, independent if you use them or not (shelf time).
    We are developing some thing with it, but it is dissappointing so far.

  3. Re: A few years too late...

    [Replying to my post about eInk and MEMS display technologies...]
    In article ,
    Otto Sykora wrote:
    >color displays which do not need the strong backlight (they do not
    >need any backlight ata all) are still not very good. They last only
    >about a yera or so, independent if you use them or not (shelf time).
    >We are developing some thing with it, but it is dissappointing so far.

    Yeah, lifetime is something to be concerned about. It also seems to
    be hard to dig up any info on! The only thing I could dig up is that
    some users have found new Sony Readers have higher contrast than those
    a few months old. It's not yet clear if this is because the new ones
    are better or the older ones have faded... (At the moment there's no
    *colour* eInk on the market, but as they seem to use the same scheme,
    but with a coloured fluid as a filter, I'd have thought there wouldn't
    be much difference in lifetime.)

    What technology are you investigating, if I may ask?

    I was slightly off in my description of the eInk technology BTW.
    The 'microspheres' themselves are fixed in the medium, but are
    themselves filled with silicone oil and even finer white (titania)
    and black charged microparticles that move to change the reflectivity.

    I also tracked down the device I saw at SIGGRAPH. It's the "iRex iLiad",
    and actually seems to have been around for a while in Europe. It has
    received zero promotion in the US! However, it begins to intrigue me
    quite a bit... It is based on Linux, and is *entirely* GPL'd open
    source! It also has a built-in Wacom touch screen, USB, and Ethernet.
    Developers (and presumably anyone else so inclined) can talk to it
    with SSH. An open (Linux) SDK is scheduled to be available (but I get the
    feeling things are not quite there yet...)

    The slightly odd thing is that they are *really* concentrating on it
    being a "reader", not talking about other kinds of apps at all.
    Being Linux-based, and with touch input, though, I'd have thought
    it could be a very flexible tablet computer. [Bit big for a 'PDA']
    Maybe the slow response (1/4 to 1/2 a second) of the screen is a
    limiting factor.

    I think I'll keep an eye on it.
    -- Pete --

    --
    "I love the smell of scorched lame duck in the morning..."
    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  4. Re: A few years too late...

    we do not construct them ourselves, but what we get is claimed to be
    some organic based material.
    no backlight, colors fine when new, becomes some kind of blue after
    some time.
    However colors are not same on all displays when new, production seems
    to be difficult at the moment I was told.
    we design RFID access terminals and similar, therefore we are
    interested in such technology, bur reluctant to use it on series
    products so far.
    for mobile phones in future it could be nice.

    on one garmin gps , I have seen nice color display, did also work on
    reflection like BW lcd without backlight, not so bad, quite fine
    display.

  5. Re: A few years too late...

    In article ,
    Otto Sykora wrote:
    >we do not construct them ourselves, but what we get is claimed to be
    >some organic based material.
    >no backlight, colors fine when new, becomes some kind of blue after
    >some time.

    Hmm -- doesn't sound quite like the e-Ink technology. More like
    some (chemical) electrochromic scheme, maybe.

    >However colors are not same on all displays when new, production seems
    >to be difficult at the moment I was told.
    >we design RFID access terminals and similar, therefore we are
    >interested in such technology, bur reluctant to use it on series
    >products so far.

    Sounds like a wise decision... (:-/)

    Hopefully technology will continue to progress.

    Cheers,
    -- Pete --

    --
    "I love the smell of scorched lame duck in the morning..."
    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

+ Reply to Thread