Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data - Scion ; According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html "The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited files, and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like. There are third-party applications available to convert DATA into Contacts format (see 'Contacts' above), and PsiWin ...

  1. Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html

    "The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited files,
    and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like. There are
    third-party applications available to convert DATA into Contacts format (see
    'Contacts' above), and PsiWin can handle conversion of CSV files, as well as
    MS Access, dBase and FoxPro databases"

    I've saved my Outlook contacts both as a csv and as a TSV file. I copied to
    files into my DAT folder but neither Data nor JBData could open either file
    either giving an Unable to open Error message or Incorrect File type
    PsiWin (version 2.3) did not let me convert the CSV file into anything other
    than a Wrd file which it said it had to truncate.

    Can I do this?

    Evi

    PS Iordani, love your Calculator Program. I'm not smart enough to understand
    all the functions but it's a good way to start to learn about how to use
    OPL.

  2. Re: Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    Evi wrote:

    > According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html
    >

    > "The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited files,
    > and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like. There are
    > third-party applications available to convert DATA into Contacts format
    > (see 'Contacts' above), and PsiWin can handle conversion of CSV files, as
    > well as MS Access, dBase and FoxPro databases"

    I would guess the above refers to Psion 5 and above, the EPOC32 'family'.
    Psion 3a is a SIBO machine (sometimes called EPOC16)

    > I've saved my Outlook contacts both as a csv and as a TSV file. I copied
    > to files into my DAT folder but neither Data nor JBData could open either
    > file either giving an Unable to open Error message or Incorrect File type
    > PsiWin (version 2.3) did not let me convert the CSV file into anything
    > other than a Wrd file which it said it had to truncate.
    > Can I do this?

    I have only done it the other way around, Psion to windoze, so I don't
    know, but would be surprised if it wasn't possible.

    But if PsiWin refuses to convert, I don't think you can get it into the 3a.

    Psion 3a can handle file sizes up to 64kB. So, if your're trying to convert
    a file that would become bigger, this will be a problem.

    To test, make a new database, tap in some dummy entries and try your way
    of converting on that file. If this works OK, maybe you can find a way to
    split your outlook file.

    Good luck.

    p.s. Oh, I and wish I were smart enough to write a calculator program! I
    only managed a MasterMind one And a fifteen-brick game should you be
    interested... never published, looks really really nice, best one
    around...
    d.s.

  3. Re: Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:18:55 GMT, "Evi"
    wrote:

    >According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html
    >

    >"The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited files,
    >and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like. There are
    >third-party applications available to convert DATA into Contacts format (see
    >'Contacts' above), and PsiWin can handle conversion of CSV files, as well as
    >MS Access, dBase and FoxPro databases"
    >
    >I've saved my Outlook contacts both as a csv and as a TSV file. I copied to
    >files into my DAT folder but neither Data nor JBData could open either file
    >either giving an Unable to open Error message or Incorrect File type
    >PsiWin (version 2.3) did not let me convert the CSV file into anything other
    >than a Wrd file which it said it had to truncate.
    >
    >Can I do this?
    >
    >Evi

    I have an old 3mx (stored in the place where old hardware is kept), but
    I think it is similar to the 3a.

    1 Copy your csv file to the 3a.

    2 Open a new Data file. Set up the labels, etc.

    3 Press Menu, File, Merge In.

    4 Select the csv file, change the Merge In field to Text, and the
    Delimiter field to Comma or Tab as required.

    5 Press Enter to merge in the text file.

    There will be a similar mechanism for JBData.

    HTH

  4. Re: Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    "Evi"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html
    > >

    > >"The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited

    files,
    > >and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like. There are
    > >third-party applications available to convert DATA into Contacts format

    (see
    > >'Contacts' above), and PsiWin can handle conversion of CSV files, as well

    as
    > >MS Access, dBase and FoxPro databases"
    > >
    > >I've saved my Outlook contacts both as a csv and as a TSV file. I copied

    > >files into my DAT folder but neither Data nor JBData could open either

    file
    > >either giving an Unable to open Error message or Incorrect File type
    > >PsiWin (version 2.3) did not let me convert the CSV file into anything

    other
    > >than a Wrd file which it said it had to truncate.
    > >
    > >Can I do this?
    > >
    > >Evi

    > I have an old 3mx (stored in the place where old hardware is kept), but
    > I think it is similar to the 3a.
    >
    > 1 Copy your csv file to the 3a.
    >
    > 2 Open a new Data file. Set up the labels, etc.
    >
    > 3 Press Menu, File, Merge In.
    >
    > 4 Select the csv file, change the Merge In field to Text, and the
    > Delimiter field to Comma or Tab as required.
    >
    > 5 Press Enter to merge in the text file.
    >
    > There will be a similar mechanism for JBData.
    >
    > HTH

    You've solved it Tom!

  5. Re: Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    Evi wrote:
    > "Evi"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> According to http://www.filesaveas.com/dataconversion.html
    >>>

    >>> "The Psion DATA application supports import and export of delimited
    >>> files, and you can specify any delimited and qualifier you like.
    >>> There are third-party applications available to convert DATA into
    >>> Contacts format (see 'Contacts' above), and PsiWin can handle
    >>> conversion of CSV files, as well as MS Access, dBase and FoxPro
    >>> databases"
    >>>
    >>> I've saved my Outlook contacts both as a csv and as a TSV file. I
    >>> copied to files into my DAT folder but neither Data nor JBData
    >>> could open either file either giving an Unable to open Error
    >>> message or Incorrect File type PsiWin (version 2.3) did not let me
    >>> convert the CSV file into anything other than a Wrd file which it
    >>> said it had to truncate.
    >>>
    >>> Can I do this?
    >>>
    >>> Evi

    >> I have an old 3mx (stored in the place where old hardware is kept),
    >> but I think it is similar to the 3a.
    >>
    >> 1 Copy your csv file to the 3a.
    >>
    >> 2 Open a new Data file. Set up the labels, etc.
    >>
    >> 3 Press Menu, File, Merge In.
    >>
    >> 4 Select the csv file, change the Merge In field to Text, and the
    >> Delimiter field to Comma or Tab as required.
    >>
    >> 5 Press Enter to merge in the text file.
    >>
    >> There will be a similar mechanism for JBData.
    >>
    >> HTH

    > You've solved it Tom!

    ....Provided that the fields in the CSV file match the label sequence set up
    in the Data file. I think that JBData might permit a mapping that is not
    one-to-one but I'd have to investigate...

    If you are good at using Microsoft products like tables in Word of Exel then
    you can do field sequence shuffling via that route instead.

    Cheers, Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  6. Re: Psion3a Open CSV file with JBData or Data

    "Mike Coon" wrote in message
    > Evi wrote:

    > >> I have an old 3mx (stored in the place where old hardware is kept),
    > >> but I think it is similar to the 3a.
    > >>
    > >> 1 Copy your csv file to the 3a.
    > >>
    > >> 2 Open a new Data file. Set up the labels, etc.
    > >>
    > >> 3 Press Menu, File, Merge In.
    > >>
    > >> 4 Select the csv file, change the Merge In field to Text, and the
    > >> Delimiter field to Comma or Tab as required.
    > >>
    > >> 5 Press Enter to merge in the text file.
    > >>
    > >> There will be a similar mechanism for JBData.
    > >>
    > >> HTH

    > > You've solved it Tom!

    > ...Provided that the fields in the CSV file match the label sequence set

    up
    > in the Data file. I think that JBData might permit a mapping that is not
    > one-to-one but I'd have to investigate...
    >
    > If you are good at using Microsoft products like tables in Word of Exel

    then
    > you can do field sequence shuffling via that route instead.
    >
    > Cheers, Mike.
    > --

    That worked fine, Mike. I exported from Outlook into Excel. I didn't need to
    worry about the row headings. Just merged into a new JBData file with enough
    fields and added the row headings later. Thanks everyone.
    Evi

+ Reply to Thread