Psion 3a vs Palm Vx - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 3a vs Palm Vx - Scion ; I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I was at it, I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one else bid) won it. Now for the dilemma. Which ...

  1. Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I was at it,
    I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one else bid) won it. Now
    for the dilemma.
    Which do I choose as my main organiser - at the mo I'm putting everything
    into both of them. I definitely want to keep them both but which one will I
    carry in my handbag?
    Anything to add to the arguments below?

    Psion 3a 512k
    Pros
    Fantastic Calculator
    (Thanks to your help here, group)
    Love the Agenda Program (excellent for Birthdays). The Year and Week View
    are especially good and I like the way the To-do list combines in Week View
    Word and Spreadsheet are awesome
    I like the potential of being able to write programs (eventually!)
    It has external batteries with the main ones being the simple AA's so I can
    go on holiday for weeks without having a PC in sight.
    Could get SSDs on ebay to boost it's tiny memory (not sure how they work
    yet)
    I like typing using the keyboard

    Cons- good thing I've got a sturdy handbag!
    Will I be able to see my backed up data if my Psion dies (it surely must be
    living on borrowed time)
    Will that strong speaker magnet mush my mobile phone or minidisk player?
    Data Program is not too hot. No list view for addresses so each one has to
    be looked for with a Find
    Would love to have a KJV Bible for it - preferably on SSD Haven't found a
    way yet.

    Don't know yet if the backed up data (especially Agenda and Data) can be
    exported to a file program which other programs can read

    Palm Vx
    Pros
    Tiny and light
    Address book is excellent
    Memos and To-do's can easily be put into various categories eg Good wines,
    Present List
    Memos are hefty enough to allow importing a whole book which is broken up
    into numerous memos
    Bible To Go is really good and (just) fits on
    So does a nice set of Patience Games (including Freecell), Invaders and
    Breakout style game
    Hotsync is very easy to use to backup data
    Data will be viewable in Windows even if the Palm dies

    Cons
    Date program OK but nowhere near as good as Psion's Agenda
    No contender for Psion's spreadsheet. The shareware Tinysheet crashes the
    unit easily - it's not really powerful enough to take it
    The much simpler (and smaller) freeware Abacus is very impressive for its
    size but it is slow and a bit clumsy to use. I wouldn't fancy trying to
    input a long list of figures into it via the stylus
    Feeble alarm
    No expansion slots
    Internal Battery (=limited shelf-life) so the adapter will need to come on
    holiday.
    Inputting by stylus is slow and it's only a matter of time before I lose the
    thing and have to replace it.
    It's data on my PC doesn't seem to export into a format that other programs
    can use so it would all have to be copied manually into my next unit

  2. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    Evi wrote:

    > I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I was at
    > it, I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one else bid) won
    > it. Now for the dilemma.
    > Which do I choose as my main organiser - at the mo I'm putting everything
    > into both of them. I definitely want to keep them both but which one will
    > I carry in my handbag?
    > Anything to add to the arguments below?

    I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased opinions

  3. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    "Iordani" wrote in message
    > Evi wrote:
    >
    > > I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I was at
    > > it, I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one else bid) won
    > > it. Now for the dilemma.
    > > Which do I choose as my main organiser - at the mo I'm putting

    everything
    > > into both of them. I definitely want to keep them both but which one

    will
    > > I carry in my handbag?
    > > Anything to add to the arguments below?

    > I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased opinions

    Biased is fine.
    It's a nice dilemma to have, isn't it?

    Evi

    Evi

  4. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    Iordani wrote:
    > Evi wrote:
    >
    >> I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I
    >> was at it, I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one
    >> else bid) won it. Now for the dilemma.
    >> Which do I choose as my main organiser - at the mo I'm putting
    >> everything into both of them. I definitely want to keep them both
    >> but which one will I carry in my handbag?
    >> Anything to add to the arguments below?

    > I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased
    > opinions

    Biased, indeed! I've only played with a Palm emulator on PC so don't have
    real experience. But can answer some questions about Psion resilience.

    If you back-up data (small-d) to SSD, provided it is a flash (battery-less)
    SSD then it will be safe but only readable on another Psion, unlike, say, SD
    card. But typically the Psion survives, it is just the main-memory data you
    lose if batteries let you down. Back-up to PC via serial cable is better in
    that I think most formats can be converted to a Windows-compatible format,
    even if it is just text (but unsure about Agenda). Also, it is possible to
    run a 3A emulator on the PC, even (I have recently discovered) under Windows
    using a DOS emulator called "DOSbox" - but that is rather hard work.

    Using John Boyce's Data program gets round some of the shortcomings of the
    3A version. (Which got improved by the addition of a "List" display in the
    3mx.)

    I think that Steve Litchfield of 3-Lib and Palmtop magazine produced a
    Bible, but I don't know anything about it.

    BTW does the Palm have a spelling checker to rival the Psion one? (Though
    over the years I did find some entries which betray its US origin!)

    Regards, Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  5. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    Evi wrote:

    >> I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased opinions

    > Biased is fine.
    > It's a nice dilemma to have, isn't it?

    Then use both at what you think they are best at.
    The 3a has superior software, but it will break
    Sooner or later the hinges and / or the flat cable to the screen or to the
    button bar will fail. Sorry, but it's true...
    The sooner the more often you open/close the lid.

    The Palm for everyday use in your handbag.

  6. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > If you back-up data (small-d) to SSD, provided it is a flash
    > (battery-less) SSD then it will be safe but only readable on another
    > Psion, unlike, say, SD card.

    SSD is not very good for backup. If it's done often (as it should) the card
    will quickly fill up and need a reformat. Use SSD for data or programs
    that are not often / never changed.

  7. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    "Mike Coon" wrote in message
    > Iordani wrote:
    > > Evi wrote:
    > >
    > >> I bought my Psion 3a on Ebay for a very reasonable price. While I
    > >> was at it, I also put in a very low bid on a Palm Vx and (no-one
    > >> else bid) won it. Now for the dilemma.
    > >> Which do I choose as my main organiser - at the mo I'm putting
    > >> everything into both of them. I definitely want to keep them both
    > >> but which one will I carry in my handbag?
    > >> Anything to add to the arguments below?

    > > I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased
    > > opinions

    > Biased, indeed! I've only played with a Palm emulator on PC so don't have
    > real experience. But can answer some questions about Psion resilience.
    >
    > If you back-up data (small-d) to SSD, provided it is a flash

    (battery-less)
    > SSD then it will be safe but only readable on another Psion, unlike, say,

    SD
    > card. But typically the Psion survives, it is just the main-memory data

    you
    > lose if batteries let you down. Back-up to PC via serial cable is better

    in
    > that I think most formats can be converted to a Windows-compatible format,
    > even if it is just text (but unsure about Agenda). Also, it is possible to
    > run a 3A emulator on the PC, even (I have recently discovered) under

    Windows
    > using a DOS emulator called "DOSbox" - but that is rather hard work.
    >
    > Using John Boyce's Data program gets round some of the shortcomings of the
    > 3A version. (Which got improved by the addition of a "List" display in the
    > 3mx.)
    >
    > I think that Steve Litchfield of 3-Lib and Palmtop magazine produced a
    > Bible, but I don't know anything about it.
    >
    > BTW does the Palm have a spelling checker to rival the Psion one? (Though
    > over the years I did find some entries which betray its US origin!)
    >
    > Regards, Mike.
    > --
    > If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

    That file compatability definitely gives the Psion the edge over the Palm
    which definitely doesn't have a spell checker - it's memos aren't really
    anything like a word processor.

    The JBData program definitely looks like it will make up for the shortcoming
    of the Psion's Date program.

    Thanks for the info Mike.

  8. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    "Iordani" wrote in message
    > Evi wrote:
    >
    > >> I think that all you will get in this NG is some heavily biased

    opinions

    > > Biased is fine.
    > > It's a nice dilemma to have, isn't it?

    > Then use both at what you think they are best at.
    > The 3a has superior software, but it will break
    > Sooner or later the hinges and / or the flat cable to the screen or to the
    > button bar will fail. Sorry, but it's true...
    > The sooner the more often you open/close the lid.
    >
    > The Palm for everyday use in your handbag.

    Thanks for the warning Iordani.
    I'll remember to be extra careful when opening the lid.
    The button bar (if you mean the ones for the different applications) is only
    vital when using Time - I can't see any way of exiting that program without
    using the button bar - unless someone here knows a way.
    The weaknesses I expect to find in the Vx are a weakening of the touch
    screen and the death of the Internal Battery.
    I think I probably will do as you say and use the Vx like a personal
    organiser and the Psion like a laptop.
    Psions can't be that feeble though since there are still a good number of
    them in working order on sale at Ebay. The average modern laptop usually
    gives up the ghost after 3 years.

    Evi

  9. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    Evi wrote:

    > Thanks for the warning Iordani.
    > I'll remember to be extra careful when opening the lid.
    > The button bar (if you mean the ones for the different applications) is
    > only
    > vital when using Time - I can't see any way of exiting that program
    > without using the button bar - unless someone here knows a way.

    Esc + Up arrow + Down at the same time.
    This gets you to Sheet (into if there is one already opened) where you can
    exit and get back to System screen.
    Very handy when button bar 'dies'...

    And you can't really exit Time. It is, and must be, always running.

    > The weaknesses I expect to find in the Vx are a weakening of the touch
    > screen and the death of the Internal Battery.
    > I think I probably will do as you say and use the Vx like a personal
    > organiser and the Psion like a laptop.
    > Psions can't be that feeble though since there are still a good number of
    > them in working order on sale at Ebay. The average modern laptop usually
    > gives up the ghost after 3 years.

    Yes, but this state won't last for ever. You can always get a new laptop,
    but rumors speak about a time soon to come, called the post-Psion era when
    there is no way to get precious gem like a working Psion 3a on eBay or
    elsewhere in the Kingdom So handle it with care...

  10. Re: Psion 3a vs Palm Vx

    > > Thanks for the warning Iordani.
    > > I'll remember to be extra careful when opening the lid.
    > > The button bar (if you mean the ones for the different applications) is
    > > only
    > > vital when using Time - I can't see any way of exiting that program
    > > without using the button bar - unless someone here knows a way.

    > Esc + Up arrow + Down at the same time.
    > This gets you to Sheet (into if there is one already opened) where you can
    > exit and get back to System screen.
    > Very handy when button bar 'dies'...
    >
    > And you can't really exit Time. It is, and must be, always running.
    >
    > > Psions can't be that feeble though since there are still a good number

    of
    > > them in working order on sale at Ebay. The average modern laptop usually
    > > gives up the ghost after 3 years.

    > Yes, but this state won't last for ever. You can always get a new

    laptop,
    > but rumors speak about a time soon to come, called the post-Psion era

    when
    > there is no way to get precious gem like a working Psion 3a on eBay or
    > elsewhere in the Kingdom So handle it with care...

    Thanks for the tip on how to close the Time window, Iordani.
    Take heart, I'm sure that global warming will kill us all off before the
    last 3a is sold on Ebay.
    Evi

+ Reply to Thread