Database help, and a wacky idea! - Scion

This is a discussion on Database help, and a wacky idea! - Scion ; Dear Friends, I would like to collate a largish (1000+) collection of classical lp's with a view to selling them, and the best way I can think of is via my trusted 5mx. I was thinking maybe of Sheet and ...

  1. Database help, and a wacky idea!

    Dear Friends, I would like to collate a largish (1000+) collection of
    classical lp's with a view to selling them, and the best way I can
    think of is via my trusted 5mx.
    I was thinking maybe of Sheet and expanding the cells to take text, or
    maybe as a seperate file through another program-any ideas?
    Also, I keep having this wonderfull/wacky idea-how about while all of
    us keep wishing that Psion still made new pda's, why can't everyone in
    the 'psion community', ie programmers & enthusiasts etc start a
    project to build one via an interested party ( hello nice POS!) as a
    wiki or communal project?
    This could possibly be either the silliest idea I've ever had, or
    maybe just maybe it could work, and just think of the possibilities
    I look forward to finding out either way

    Kind regards, and hope you're not all drenched with the rubbish
    weather
    Andrew Raisbeck

  2. Re: Database help, and a wacky idea!

    On 2007-07-20 21:05:18 +0100, "araisbeck@hotmail.co.uk"
    said:

    > I would like to collate a largish (1000+) collection of
    > classical lp's with a view to selling them, and the best way I can
    > think of is via my trusted 5mx.
    > I was thinking maybe of Sheet and expanding the cells to take text, or
    > maybe as a seperate file through another program-any ideas?

    For any sort of large database on a Series 5 I would tend to go for
    PsiDat . It seems to still
    be available but I don't know how well supported now. It's been a few
    years since I used a Psion.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  3. Re: Database help, and a wacky idea!

    Steve Hodgson wrote:
    > On 2007-07-20 21:05:18 +0100, "araisbeck@hotmail.co.uk"
    > said:
    >
    >> I would like to collate a largish (1000+) collection of
    >> classical lp's with a view to selling them, and the best way I can
    >> think of is via my trusted 5mx.
    >> I was thinking maybe of Sheet and expanding the cells to take text,
    >> or maybe as a seperate file through another program-any ideas?

    > For any sort of large database on a Series 5 I would tend to go for
    > PsiDat . It seems to
    > still be available but I don't know how well supported now. It's been
    > a few years since I used a Psion.

    There was a "Collection" software application once upon a time. Maybe it
    was an RMR product

    Dweeb

  4. Re: Database help, and a wacky idea!

    In article <1184961918.089284.233250@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    "araisbeck@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:

    > Dear Friends, I would like to collate a largish (1000+) collection of
    > classical lp's with a view to selling them, and the best way I can
    > think of is via my trusted 5mx.

    I imagine that you don't already have the LP collection listed in a
    computer (or you would mention it).

    Just how much information do you want to list about each LP? is your
    intent to sell them via a second hand store, or on consignment, or via
    something like eBay?

    If thinking eBay, with that number of items, one of the programs
    specifically designed to make selling on eBay easier might be a better
    choice (if you have a Windows computer).

    > I was thinking maybe of Sheet and expanding the cells to take text, or
    > maybe as a seperate file through another program-any ideas?

    While there is nothing wrong with using either Psion Data, or the even
    more versatile PsiDat, I would think a full size keyboard would be a
    better choice for data entry, if you have any sort of PC. You could even
    use the Psion emulator for data entry.

    > Also, I keep having this wonderfull/wacky idea-how about while all of
    > us keep wishing that Psion still made new pda's, why can't everyone in
    > the 'psion community', ie programmers & enthusiasts etc start a
    > project to build one via an interested party ( hello nice POS!) as a
    > wiki or communal project?
    > This could possibly be either the silliest idea I've ever had, or
    > maybe just maybe it could work, and just think of the possibilities
    > I look forward to finding out either way

    I believe you can still buy reconstructed Psion models via a few of the
    previous dealers. Might be better to raise this as a separate post. You
    could also raise it in the Psion Digest.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  5. Re: Neuon webpages are back..

    > BTW: Is there some further information on Merlin available?
    >
    > Thank you again for doing all this work.
    > --
    > Oliver

    Not too sure what you mean by this Oliver. The Merlin webpages are
    held at http://www.skankee.com/neuon/Merlin.php if that is what you
    are after

    Cheers
    Gary