My new series 5 - Scion

This is a discussion on My new series 5 - Scion ; Dear Friends, I am the proud (and very impressed) owner of Series 5 (4mb), which I have beefed up slightly with a 64mb memory card.My question is this, how can I store my increasing ammount of data and files on ...

  1. My new series 5

    Dear Friends,
    I am the proud (and very impressed) owner of Series 5 (4mb), which I
    have beefed up slightly with a 64mb memory card.My question is this,
    how can I store my increasing ammount of data and files on the card
    rather than filling up the system memory quickly?
    I'm finding my way around still (but highly enjoyably), and have
    coveted Psions for almot a decade before taking the plunge via ebay.
    All feedback would be gratefully appreciated, and I look forward to
    learning from you all.

    Andrew

  2. Re: My new series 5

    Quoting araisbeck@hotmail.co.uk's message of Yesterday:

    > I am the proud (and very impressed) owner of Series 5 (4mb), which I
    > have beefed up slightly with a 64mb memory card.

    Congratulations! As you'll no doubt realise, the 4mb RAM is a bit
    claustrophobic, but with careful management it need not be limiting. I
    certainly know of no software that would refuse to run in it. The only
    limitation you might encounter is the number of programs you can have
    running at once. But as EPOC is an efficient operationg system with
    compact software, you may not even encounter problems here.

    > My question is this, how can I store my increasing ammount of data and
    > files on the card rather than filling up the system memory quickly?

    Yes, you can do this, though you'll find that access to the files is a
    bit slow. You might want to keep often-used files like the Agenda and a
    default Word scratch pad in internal memory. Needless to say, any apps
    ought to be installed on the CF card. This is what I do even on my 16mb
    5mx machine.

    > I'm finding my way around still (but highly enjoyably), and have
    > coveted Psions for almot a decade before taking the plunge via ebay.
    > All feedback would be gratefully appreciated, and I look forward to
    > learning from you all.

    I'm glad people are still finding these machines enteratining and
    useful. Lots of people have jumped ship and bought other machines since
    Psion stopped making them, but I'm one of those who'll keep using them
    as long as I can keep one in good repair. I would, though, recommend
    getting a spare from eBay if you come to rely on the machine. If you're
    patient you should be able to get an 8mb model for 20 quid (my 8mb spare
    cost 14 quid including postage from Ireland).

    What are you planning to use it for?

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  3. Re: My new series 5

    On Apr 18, 9:36 pm, "araisb...@hotmail.co.uk"
    wrote:
    > Dear Friends,
    > I am the proud (and very impressed) owner of Series 5 (4mb), which I
    > have beefed up slightly with a 64mb memory card.My question is this,
    > how can I store my increasing ammount of data and files on the card
    > rather than filling up the system memory quickly?

    Most files have an option to save the data file somewhere else (a
    'save as' option. I use this where I can), however - I keep an Agenda
    file on the internal flash and back it up on the CF regularly.

    When installing programs I always install to the CF card aswell, which
    (as I just discovered) is really useful if your machine dies!

    > I'm finding my way around still (but highly enjoyably), and have
    > coveted Psions for almot a decade before taking the plunge via ebay.
    > All feedback would be gratefully appreciated, and I look forward to
    > learning from you all.
    >
    > Andrew

    Check out www.pscience5.net for a load of cool apps and
    http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/ for heaps of info (I just joined this
    group, but it looks like the author of that site posts here a lot - so
    I hope posting the link isn't stepping on his toes and finally
    http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tipspsion.htm which is also useful!

    Hope that helps,

    Who

+ Reply to Thread