Nokia E90 the new Psion? - Scion

This is a discussion on Nokia E90 the new Psion? - Scion ; Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX......

  1. Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better
    than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX...

  2. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    In article ,
    Gerald H wrote:

    > Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better
    > than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX...

    Only seen photos. On the basis of size, I think the keyboard won't be to
    Psion standard. However the display (although physically small) has
    great resolution, and of course is full colour (I mean the large
    display, not the smaller external one).

    Alas, with the S60 GUI, it also means no OPL. Although it certainly
    seems the closest to date to a Psion, it heads in a fairly different
    direction, like most of these phones. I think I will wait until there
    are a lot of reports and reviews (and maybe for a price drop).

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  3. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Eric Lindsay schrieb:
    > In article ,
    > Gerald H wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better
    >> than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX...

    > Only seen photos. On the basis of size, I think the keyboard won't be to
    > Psion standard. However the display (although physically small) has
    > great resolution, and of course is full colour (I mean the large
    > display, not the smaller external one).
    >
    > Alas, with the S60 GUI, it also means no OPL. Although it certainly
    > seems the closest to date to a Psion, it heads in a fairly different
    > direction, like most of these phones. I think I will wait until there
    > are a lot of reports and reviews (and maybe for a price drop).

    ....there is still no such keyboard as the one of the 5mx! *sigh*

    I keep on using it having replacements 5mx ready...

    Urs

  4. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    In message
    Gerald H wrote:

    > Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better
    > than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX...

    No, I haven't.

    Alex'

    --

    http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

  5. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Eric Lindsay schrieb:
    > In article ,
    > Gerald H wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone seen the new Nokia E90. I wonder if the keyboard is better
    >> than on the recent Communicators. Maybe I can finally retire my 5MX...

    > Only seen photos. On the basis of size, I think the keyboard won't be to
    > Psion standard.

    I have looked at the Nokia website: the E90 has a broadth of overall
    132mm, the 5mx of over 170mm, so the keyboard of the E90 certainly can
    not be compared to the one of the 5mx, may be to the one of the Revo.

    Psionara, Urs

  6. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    I'm amazed this group is still going as I used to come here a few
    years back when I had a 3a, revo and then a 5mx! Remember Eric
    LIndsay's name from a long time ago! My 5mx repeatedly broke, so I've
    been using paper diaries for a while. On hearing about the E90, I
    thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo and
    3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    this?

    All best,
    Duncan.

  7. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    In article <1174051800.767716.188260@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    "Duncan Murray" wrote:

    > On hearing about the E90, I
    > thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo and
    > 3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    The phone specifications seemed good to me, as long as you lived in a
    GSM area like the UK, especially if in a HSDPA area (but I am not sure
    that is widespread). Great LCD specs. Doubt I will see one here for a
    long while. Plus, I don't really need any of the phone features at all
    now I am retired.

    > I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    > call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    > when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    > with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    > ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    > this?

    I'm not so sure about the S60 interface. I get the feeling many the E90
    features would be dumbed down. But I need the touch typing features of
    the Psion, so I still haven't found decent replacements. Good luck.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  8. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Eric Lindsay espoused:
    > In article <1174051800.767716.188260@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Duncan Murray" wrote:
    >
    >> On hearing about the E90, I
    >> thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo and
    >> 3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    > The phone specifications seemed good to me, as long as you lived in a
    > GSM area like the UK, especially if in a HSDPA area (but I am not sure
    > that is widespread). Great LCD specs. Doubt I will see one here for a
    > long while. Plus, I don't really need any of the phone features at all
    > now I am retired.

    GSM is most of the world, though. Even the few once CDMA-only countries
    are increasingly supporting GSM too.

    >> I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    >> call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    >> when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    >> with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    >> ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    >> this?

    > I'm not so sure about the S60 interface. I get the feeling many the E90
    > features would be dumbed down. But I need the touch typing features of
    > the Psion, so I still haven't found decent replacements. Good luck.

    I have to agree with that remark. I've a pair of Nokia 770s which
    have all the connectivity (bluetooth, wifi) which the 5mx did not have,
    as well as the fantastic display quality and sound. The 770 does not,
    however, have the most excellent Psion 5 keyboard, so no touch-typing.

    On the other hand, there is support for a bluetooth external keyboard
    for it.

    There is a PIM suite ported to the 770, so you can store all the data
    you should need to, as well as browse the web, play videos, and so on,
    but it doesn't to my knowledge synch with Outlook.

  9. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    "Eric Lindsay" wrote in message
    > In article <1174051800.767716.188260@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Duncan Murray" wrote:
    >
    >> On hearing about the E90, I
    >> thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo and
    >> 3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    > The phone specifications seemed good to me, as long as you lived in a
    > GSM area like the UK, especially if in a HSDPA area (but I am not sure
    > that is widespread). Great LCD specs. Doubt I will see one here for a
    > long while. Plus, I don't really need any of the phone features at all
    > now I am retired.
    >
    >> I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    >> call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    >> when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    >> with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    >> ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    >> this?

    > I'm not so sure about the S60 interface. I get the feeling many the E90
    > features would be dumbed down. But I need the touch typing features of
    > the Psion, so I still haven't found decent replacements. Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ericlindsay.com

    Off topic I know Mr. Lindsay, but, top website.

    After _years_ of PalmOS with the odd flirt into PocketPC / Windows CE /
    Windows Mobile, I've *finally* bought a Psion 5mx.

    At the moment it's my writing tool. 90% of www.dervman.com was written on a
    PalmOS device, watch this space for the next 90% to be done...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  10. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Eric Lindsay wrote:
    > In article <1174051800.767716.188260@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Duncan Murray" wrote:

    >> On hearing about the E90, I
    >> thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo and
    >> 3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    > The phone specifications seemed good to me, as long as you lived in a
    > GSM area like the UK, especially if in a HSDPA area (but I am not sure
    > that is widespread). Great LCD specs. Doubt I will see one here for a
    > long while. Plus, I don't really need any of the phone features at all
    > now I am retired.

    >> I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    >> call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    >> when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    >> with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    >> ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    >> this?

    > I'm not so sure about the S60 interface. I get the feeling many the E90
    > features would be dumbed down. But I need the touch typing features of
    > the Psion, so I still haven't found decent replacements. Good luck.

    I'm gradually shifting my current and future diary into my recently
    acquired Nokia 9500, which I now always carry around instead of my
    Psion 5mx. The diary isn't as good, and if I wasn't also using some
    other project planning and organising s/w in the 5mx to cope with more
    complex stuff, I'd find the deficiencies in the diary application of
    the Nokia to be serious.

    I wondered if I'd be able to use the Nokia for writing in the way I do
    my 5mx. I'm quite happy to spend most of a day writing on the 5mx, and
    nearly everything serious that takes me at least days to write gets at
    least first well drafted in the Psion because I love being able to
    move around a lot as I write and think. I got one of those folding
    bluetooth keyboards for the Nokia, but despite being a bit bigger than
    the Psion's, it's not quite as good. It's a combination of the Nokia's
    word processor not being quite as good, it not having a plain text
    editor, and the bluetooth keyboard not quite managing to get all of
    the Nokia's editing control keys.

    On the plus side the Nokia's easy web connectivity means I can much
    more easily interface via Putty to my office filestore and Emacs
    editor, and that makes the Nokia plus extra keyboard the choice in
    free wifi areas, which in Edinburgh is about 10% of the cafes plus
    anywhere within shouting distance of a university building (and I
    believe that university wifi access can be arranged to roam across
    most UK university networks, although I haven't tried it).

    So I've now become a tripartite computer user. The Nokia 9500 is my
    carry everywhere do everything general purpose machine, sometimes with
    the extra keyboard and free wifi for serious writing. For other mobile
    serious writing I'll carry the Psion as well. For the rest there's my
    home and office desk computers.

    A really annoying feature of the Nokia 9500 as a general purpose carry
    everywhere machine is its dependence on mains chargers. So when I'm
    going to be away from mains electricity for a week or two it's not
    even a useful mobile phone. So for camping trips I'll still be
    dependent on the good old Psion5mx plus a Nokia 6310i with a giant 3
    week battery.

    Maybe I can rig up some kind of external battery for the Nokia 9500?
    It would be the ideal camping computer and phone with a long lasting
    battery, especially since it has the display and comms capacity to
    interface to google earth (mobile version) and other web mapping
    services such as Streetmap.

    Has anyone experience of adding external battery capacity to a Nokia
    9500? Given that it doesn't last long on its own allegedly 1500mAh
    internal battery, I'm guessing that a few weeks would need several
    sets of 3 AAs (4.5V), or else 3 D cells.

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  11. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    On 1 Apr, 10:39, Chris Malcolm wrote:
> [...]

    > even a useful mobile phone. So for camping trips I'll still be
    > dependent on the good old Psion5mx plus a Nokia 6310i with a giant 3
    > week battery.
    >
    > Maybe I can rig up some kind of external battery for the Nokia 9500?
    > It would be the ideal camping computer and phone with a long lasting
    > battery, especially since it has the display and comms capacity to
    > interface to google earth (mobile version) and other web mapping
    > services such as Streetmap.
    >
    > Has anyone experience of adding external battery capacity to a Nokia
    > 9500? Given that it doesn't last long on its own allegedly 1500mAh
    > internal battery, I'm guessing that a few weeks would need several
    > sets of 3 AAs (4.5V), or else 3 D cells.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Malcolm c...@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
    > IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK

    Maybe something like these:
    http://www.nashtackle.com/Accessorie...e_charger.html

    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews...-charger.phtml

  12. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion? or HTC Advantage?

    ....or is may-be the new HTC Advantage the new Psion? (except for the
    operating system, of course!), cf:

    http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7500.htm)

    The keyboard looks promising.

    Psionara,
    Urs

  13. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion? or HTC Advantage?

    In article <462533e5$0$7366$4d4ef98e@read.news.ch.uu.net>,
    Urs wrote:

    > ...or is may-be the new HTC Advantage the new Psion? (except for the
    > operating system, of course!), cf:
    >
    > http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7500.htm)
    >
    > The keyboard looks promising.

    Isn't it an add on keyboard? I am not sure what would be wrong with
    using a Bluetooth keyboard with any phone or PDA device that was
    otherwise suitable. However perhaps i am missing something.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  14. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion? or HTC Advantage?

    On Apr 20, 1:22 pm, Eric Lindsay
    wrote:
    > In article <462533e5$0$7366$4d4ef...@read.news.ch.uu.net>,
    >
    > Urs wrote:
    > > ...or is may-be the new HTC Advantage the new Psion? (except for the
    > > operating system, of course!), cf:

    > >http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7500.htm)

    > > The keyboard looks promising.

    > Isn't it an add on keyboard? I am not sure what would be wrong with
    > using a Bluetooth keyboard with any phone or PDA device that was
    > otherwise suitable. However perhaps i am missing something.
    >
    > --http://www.ericlindsay.com

    I think the setup here looks more 'Psion-like' than any other PDA I've
    seen around - and as far as I can tell the keyboard comes with it when
    you buy it.

    I'm going into our local T-Mobile shop to have a look at the keyboard
    (and a type on it) to see if it comes close to the Psion's one. From
    the pictures, I can't say it looks as good.

  15. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion? or HTC Advantage?

    Den 2007-04-20 14:22:17 skrev Eric Lindsay
    :

    > In article <462533e5$0$7366$4d4ef98e@read.news.ch.uu.net>,
    > Urs wrote:
    >
    >> ...or is may-be the new HTC Advantage the new Psion? (except for the
    >> operating system, of course!), cf:
    >>
    >> http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7500.htm)
    >>
    >> The keyboard looks promising.

    > Isn't it an add on keyboard? I am not sure what would be wrong with
    > using a Bluetooth keyboard with any phone or PDA device that was
    > otherwise suitable. However perhaps i am missing something.

    If there's a simple and effective way to angle the screen, good. If not, I
    wouldn't buy one. It would be too hard to see the contents of the screen.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    Oil is for sissies

  16. Re: Nokia E90 the new Psion?

    Eric Lindsay wrote:
    > In article <1174051800.767716.188260@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Duncan Murray" wrote:
    >
    >> On hearing about the E90, I
    >> thought it might be a good succesor to my psion (of which the revo
    >> and 3a were the best, due to their small size and good screen).

    > The phone specifications seemed good to me, as long as you lived in a
    > GSM area like the UK, especially if in a HSDPA area (but I am not sure
    > that is widespread). Great LCD specs. Doubt I will see one here for a
    > long while. Plus, I don't really need any of the phone features at all
    > now I am retired.
    >
    >> I need an organiser with a good agenda/calendar where I can quickly
    >> call up dates to see what I'm doing, and quickly put in appointments
    >> when meeting people. I also need something that keep notes in word,
    >> with a reasonable keyboard, although I don't need the touchtyping
    >> ability of the 5mx. What do people think, will the E90 be good at
    >> this?

    > I'm not so sure about the S60 interface. I get the feeling many the
    > E90 features would be dumbed down. But I need the touch typing
    > features of the Psion, so I still haven't found decent replacements.
    > Good luck.

    I spotted one of these in Bangkok last week and had a small play with it. I
    am not sure I will acquire it, but it is an interesting device for sure.
    Certainly small enough to carry and use, and it has everything but the
    kitchen sink and a touch screen

    Dweeb

+ Reply to Thread