Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........? - Scion ; Hi guys, I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to also do some writing on my Psion ...

  1. Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Hi guys,
    I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters
    already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to
    also do some writing on my Psion 5mx. I tried writing some text on the
    Psion and saving it to a CF card but when I put the CF card into my PC,
    and opened the file using MS Word, the text was there but there was
    also a lot of gibberish.
    Is there something I can do that will enable me to just copy/paste the
    text from the CF card into a Word document?
    Cheers,
    Steve

  2. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters
    > already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to
    > also do some writing on my Psion 5mx. I tried writing some text on the
    > Psion and saving it to a CF card but when I put the CF card into my PC,
    > and opened the file using MS Word, the text was there but there was
    > also a lot of gibberish.
    > Is there something I can do that will enable me to just copy/paste the
    > text from the CF card into a Word document?
    > Cheers,
    > Steve

    You need to install Psiwin (free download from many a web site, if you
    don't already have it).
    After installation you will see an EPOC icon on your desktop.
    Establish a connection between your 5mx and your PC via the serial
    cable and back up your 5mx.

    Right click on the EPOC icon and click on "Convert Files".
    A screen will appear with your backup file highlighted - browse through
    it until you get to the file you want to transfer, double click it and
    it will appear in the "To:" box.
    On the right side you'll see another box with a drop down menu that
    offers a variety of file types you can convert your 5mx file to. I
    believe if you pick Rich Text Format your MS Office software will open
    it without problem and you can then save it as a MS Word file.
    You may have to try other formats.
    BTW, your converted file will appear in your 5mx backup folder.

    Here's another way that might even be easier. The latest Psiwin has a
    feature called "Copy Anywhere" - I don't know offhand how to activate
    it, but it shouldn't be difficult. Connect your 5mx to your PC and open
    the file you want to transfer, press Ctrl+A and then Copy, you'll hear
    a beep after a while. Now open a blank MS Word file, choose Paste
    Special, Unformatted Text, and paste. You're done.

    Good luck,

  3. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    In article <1169413360.020710.185600@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Steve" wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters
    > already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to
    > also do some writing on my Psion 5mx. I tried writing some text on the
    > Psion and saving it to a CF card but when I put the CF card into my PC,
    > and opened the file using MS Word, the text was there but there was
    > also a lot of gibberish.

    All word processors use their own special formats, mostly proprietary,
    mostly different.

    You have a choice on whether to write as plain text, or whether to
    attempt to convert between formats (using Psiwin)

    > Is there something I can do that will enable me to just copy/paste the
    > text from the CF card into a Word document?

    Use a Text Editor. Psion Word can save what you write as plain text.
    Also, there is a very nice (free) text editor for Psion. I think it was
    called the Symbian Editor. There will be free downloads kicking around.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  4. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Hi,

    1. Best thing to do is still to work with PsiWin 2.3.3 which is still
    compatible with Win'XP (I never had any problems what so ever).

    2. There used to be a conversion program called "2connectU" (from
    somebody of the Chech Republic I think) to be installed in 5mx but I
    think it is no more available.

    3. If you can work without formatting the text, then of course you can
    save your writings as a TXT document (see file --> others --> expert as
    text document) and transfer the file via CFC. Or you sue the frree text
    editor as already has been mentioned (it is also available on the German
    Psion CD's, or see www.psionwelt.de)

    HIH and kind regards, Urs

    Eric Lindsay schrieb:
    > In article <1169413360.020710.185600@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    > "Steve" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >> I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters
    >> already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to
    >> also do some writing on my Psion 5mx. I tried writing some text on the
    >> Psion and saving it to a CF card but when I put the CF card into my PC,
    >> and opened the file using MS Word, the text was there but there was
    >> also a lot of gibberish.

    > All word processors use their own special formats, mostly proprietary,
    > mostly different.
    >
    > You have a choice on whether to write as plain text, or whether to
    > attempt to convert between formats (using Psiwin)
    >
    >> Is there something I can do that will enable me to just copy/paste the
    >> text from the CF card into a Word document?

    > Use a Text Editor. Psion Word can save what you write as plain text.
    > Also, there is a very nice (free) text editor for Psion. I think it was
    > called the Symbian Editor. There will be free downloads kicking around.

  5. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Bob G opined

    >Steve wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >> I am trying my hand at writing a book. I have done a few chapters
    >> already using my main Windows PC and MS Word but I want to be able to
    >> also do some writing on my Psion 5mx. I tried writing some text on the
    >> Psion and saving it to a CF card but when I put the CF card into my PC,
    >> and opened the file using MS Word, the text was there but there was
    >> also a lot of gibberish.
    >> Is there something I can do that will enable me to just copy/paste the
    >> text from the CF card into a Word document?
    >> Cheers,
    >> Steve

    >You need to install Psiwin (free download from many a web site, if you
    >don't already have it).
    >After installation you will see an EPOC icon on your desktop.
    >Establish a connection between your 5mx and your PC via the serial
    >cable and back up your 5mx.
    >
    >Right click on the EPOC icon and click on "Convert Files".
    >A screen will appear with your backup file highlighted - browse through
    >it until you get to the file you want to transfer, double click it and
    >it will appear in the "To:" box.
    >On the right side you'll see another box with a drop down menu that
    >offers a variety of file types you can convert your 5mx file to. I
    >believe if you pick Rich Text Format your MS Office software will open
    >it without problem and you can then save it as a MS Word file.
    >You may have to try other formats.
    >BTW, your converted file will appear in your 5mx backup folder.
    >
    >Here's another way that might even be easier. The latest Psiwin has a
    >feature called "Copy Anywhere" - I don't know offhand how to activate
    >it, but it shouldn't be difficult. Connect your 5mx to your PC and open
    >the file you want to transfer, press Ctrl+A and then Copy, you'll hear
    >a beep after a while. Now open a blank MS Word file, choose Paste
    >Special, Unformatted Text, and paste. You're done.

    I use both programs (Psion Word amd M/S Word) and both of the above work
    fine for me.

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis

    Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

    <><
    They are called digital cameras because of the way
    you have to use fingers to get the memory card out!
    <><

  6. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Urs wrote:
    > Hi,
    > 3. If you can work without formatting the text, then of course you can
    > save your writings as a TXT document (see file --> others --> export
    > as text document) ...

    Pity the 5 series doesn't have the "save in RTF" that the 3 series had!

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  7. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    Mike Coon schrieb:
    > Urs wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> 3. If you can work without formatting the text, then of course you can
    >> save your writings as a TXT document (see file --> others --> export
    >> as text document) ...

    > Pity the 5 series doesn't have the "save in RTF" that the 3 series had!
    >
    > Mike.

    I agree, RTF is still a very useful format! Urs

  8. Re: Psion 5mx to MS Word .... How do I...........?

    However still there are some of those repositories where one can get
    the xconvert with some generic number to run it, the manufacturers are
    gone.

    This will produce a RTF file which can be transfered with CF card only
    and read inclusive basic formating in most desktop apps like word or
    open office equivalent.

  9. Re: Printer recommendation please

    Neil wrote:
    > Hi guys,

    [...]

    > So I think I need to find a printer with a parallel port as well as
    > USB. Initial investigations seem to suggest there are relatively few
    > budget printers still having the parallel port.

    You might want to look for printers with irda, too. Some of the latest
    HP-printers still have this feature, but I don't know if there is any "
    budget" printer in this catagory.
    I still print on my HP6MP laserprinter via irda. It's very comfortably
    to print without having to connect the devices physically.
    While writing this I wonder if the inbuild printer drivers support the
    new inkjet printers from HP?

    --
    Oliver

  10. Re: Printer recommendation please

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:26:24 -0001, News041006@kuehlwein.net (Oliver
    N. Kühlwein) wrote:

    >Neil wrote:
    >> Hi guys,

    >[...]
    >
    >> So I think I need to find a printer with a parallel port as well as
    >> USB. Initial investigations seem to suggest there are relatively few
    >> budget printers still having the parallel port.

    >You might want to look for printers with irda, too. Some of the latest
    >HP-printers still have this feature, but I don't know if there is any "
    >budget" printer in this catagory.
    >I still print on my HP6MP laserprinter via irda. It's very comfortably
    >to print without having to connect the devices physically.
    >While writing this I wonder if the inbuild printer drivers support the
    >new inkjet printers from HP?

    Thanks Oliver,

    I didn't think Irda was still an option - useful if it is!

    Neil